Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Band-Off: Pink Floyd vs Steely Dan

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4245240]LMAO but....

Put a high school garage band in a room and tell them they cant leave until they can play songs off a Steely Dan album or Pink Floyd album??? They will be out in 15 minutes learning Pink Floyd and will grow old trying Steely Dan.[/QUOTE]

They couldn't reproduce the size, shape and smell of the dump I just took either... doesn't mean it shouldn't have been flushed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4244109]And then:

Vagina or 60 grit sandpaper.

[SIZE="1"]And I like Steely Dan, but really? Against Pink Floyd?[/SIZE]
    _[/QUOTE]

yikes - won't be polishing the knob with that! :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4245274]They couldn't reproduce the size, shape and smell of the dump I just took either... doesn't mean it shouldn't have been flushed.[/QUOTE]

Understood...but if popularity is the barometer, Menudo might win too!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4245311]Understood...but if popularity is the barometer, Menudo might win too![/QUOTE]

What you need then obviously is a Menudo vs. Steely Dan thread.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4245171]What a coincidence -- just yesterday I called some guy a homo for one of the bands he listened to! Oh wait, no, that was 32 years ago in junior high school. My bad.[/QUOTE]

Were you a self-hating gay back then too?

I hear there are support groups that could help you.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4245332]What you need then obviously is a Menudo vs. Steely Dan thread.[/QUOTE]

Well played sir.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4245340]Were you a self-hating gay back then too?

I hear there are support groups that could help you.[/QUOTE]

Meds. They're not just for breakfast anymore!

[QUOTE=shakin318;4245351]Meds. They're not just for breakfast anymore![/QUOTE]

I'm pleased to hear you've found a pharmacological solution to your many issues.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4245240]LMAO but....

Put a high school garage band in a room and tell them they cant leave until they can play songs off a Steely Dan album or Pink Floyd album??? They will be out in 15 minutes learning Pink Floyd and will grow old trying Steely Dan.[/QUOTE]

They would grow old trying to learn to play Trans Siberian Orchestra too.

And they're just annoying.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4245381]I'm pleased to hear you've found a pharmacological solution to your many issues.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for the Junior High School crack, I was clearly off base. Your "I'm Rubber--You're Glue/I Know You Are But What Am I" rejoinders prove that Junior High School is merely a speck in your rearview mirror.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4245388]I'm sorry for the Junior High School crack, I was clearly off base.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you've finally started to seek the help you so clearly need. Examining and admitting past errors is what, Step 3 of 12? Good for you.

I'll pray for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Talking Heads > all others

Veteran
    Floyd. Hands down. They could've made their music more technically difficult, but they thought they'd go ahead and sell a couple million albums and made it pleasing to the ear.
    I listened to Steely Dan when I had a daily meth habit. Other than that I choose Yes over them and Floyd over Yes.

comparing steely to floyd is kinda like comparing the kinks to the beatles. only among music snobs will the comparison go the other way

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4245386]They would grow old trying to learn to play Trans Siberian Orchestra too.

And they're just annoying.

_[/QUOTE]

Yeah but YOU like Steely dan.;)

Totally different genres, the common element between them being their effective use of the recording studio and the fact that some of their worst material ended up in heavy rotation on radio (the abysmal Rikki and Reeling from the Dan, and the putrid Money and the entirety of the Wall from the Floyd). Steely Dan has more good songs, better lyrics and better musicians (yes, even on guitar--larry carlton and Denny Diaz crap all over Gilmour). Pink Floyd obviously has the edge on anthemic material and guitar solos that non-guitarists fawn over.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4245656]Yeah but YOU like Steely dan.;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally do.

I just wouldn't compare them to Floyd.

Totally different and IMHO you have to take into account the iconic nature of Floyd when judging them.

And I have to admit, I didn't start really listening to Floyd until a few years ago.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=The Hit Stick;4245685]Totally different genres, the common element between them being their effective use of the recording studio and the fact that some of their worst material ended up in heavy rotation on radio (the abysmal Rikki and Reeling from the Dan, and the putrid Money and the entirety of the Wall from the Floyd). Steely Dan has more good songs, better lyrics and better musicians (yes, even on guitar--[B]larry carlton[/B] and Denny Diaz crap all over Gilmour). Pink Floyd obviously has the edge on anthemic material and guitar solos that non-guitarists fawn over.[/QUOTE]

Love Larry Carlton, one of my favorites.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I thought we already had the Steely Dan thread for the year and I thought we all roundly agreed that they sucked.

Why are we revisiting this? :confused:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I can't decide what will make me change the car radio station faster: the realization that a Steely Dan song is playing or the realization that I've landed on a spanish-language talk radio station.