Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Band-Off: Pink Floyd vs Steely Dan

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    For the record, I feel Pink Floyd music, while vastly superior to Steely Dan, even at its best -- sounds more and more dated as the years roll by. Compared to say Led Zep, which - at least their best stuff -- lives and breathes as if it were created this week.

JMHO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4245825]For the record, I feel Pink Floyd music, while vastly superior to Steely Dan, even at its best -- sounds more and more dated as the years roll by. [B]Compared to say Led Zep, which - at least their best stuff -- lives and breathes as if it were created this week[/B].

JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Oh Lordy, here comes Plumber.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steely Dan sucks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's more astounding: The fact that mankind has conceptualized, and built, the Hadron Collider, or that, in 2011, we're still talking about a glorified Vegas act like Steely Dan?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4246193]What's more astounding: The fact that mankind has conceptualized, and built, the Hadron Collider, or that, in 2011, we're still talking about a glorified Vegas act like Steely Dan?[/QUOTE]

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4245825]Compared to say Led Zep, which - at least their best stuff -- lives and breathes as if it were created this week.

JMHO.[/QUOTE]

Are you the program director at Q104.3?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4245386]They would grow old trying to learn to play Trans Siberian Orchestra too.

_[/QUOTE]

Or Mozart, for that matter. So what's your point? That musical complexity is meaningless? That Wynton Marsalis is no better than Vanilla Ice?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4246565]Or Mozart, for that matter. So what's your point? That musical complexity is meaningless? That Wynton Marsalis is no better than Vanilla Ice?[/QUOTE]

His point is that musical complexity doesn't necessarily mean musical superiority.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4246193]What's more astounding: The fact that mankind has conceptualized, and built, the Hadron Collider, or that, in 2011, we're still talking about a glorified Vegas act like Steely Dan?[/QUOTE]

Borgo...you are killing me! ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dkaz003;4246658]His point is that musical complexity doesn't necessarily mean musical superiority.[/QUOTE]

This.

Is what I meant.

_

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4243879]One dark and moody. The other reflective but playful. Both very intelligent, distinctive, and musically creative. Many similarities between the two: both have amazing lead guitarists, both feature prominent use of sax, both are essentially studio bands. Lots of differences too, tho.

My vote:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiy09DIsZFU[/url][/QUOTE]

Both are in my top 10, but PF is closer to 1 and SD is closer to 10.

Both incredible bands, however. And not an outrageous poll.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dkaz003;4246658]His point is that musical complexity doesn't necessarily mean musical superiority.[/QUOTE]

Alice in Chains was actually the most directly influential 90's "Seattle Grunge" Band, confirm/deny?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247128]Alice in Chains was actually the most directly influential 90's "Seattle Grunge" Band, confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

No.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4247164]No.[/QUOTE]

And you'd be wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247170]And you'd be wrong.[/QUOTE]

You classify Alice in Chains as grunge like the rest of the weirdos?

I gotta my eye on you, Mr. Warfish. You bettah get outta my store if u not buying anything.

Jerry Cantrell is gonna hit you in the face with a rake.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4247179]You classify Alice in Chains as grunge like the rest of the weirdos?

I gotta my eye on you, Mr. Warfish. You bettah get outta my store if u not buying anything.

Jerry Cantrell is gonna hit you in the face with a rake.[/QUOTE]

I gotta side with Warfish on this one.

Alice in Chains was probably THE biggest musical influence for bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana, not to mention that they singlehandedly

Oh, wait....Warfish isn't a mod anymore?

Nevermind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Klingon;4247199]I gotta side with Warfish on this one.

Alice in Chains was probably THE biggest musical influence for bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana, not to mention that they singlehandedly

Oh, wait....Warfish isn't a mod anymore?

Nevermind.[/QUOTE]

lolz...

I was just drunk arguing with my brother about this the other day. We drunkenly determined that since Alice in Chains opened for Slayer in 1990, the were more of a metal band then a grunge band. Also, Mr. Cantrell's guitar playing is less grunge and more metal (the man can hang).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    God I am sick of Alice in Chains.

_

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247128]Alice in Chains was actually the most directly influential 90's "Seattle Grunge" Band, confirm/deny?[/QUOTE]

This is true, but I would argue that they generally influenced a bunch of dooshes, so I'm not sure whether this should be trumpeted.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

That someone as "plugged in" as you would say something so absurd confirms that SD is quite simply the most misunderstood band in rock history.

If you can honestly listen to songs like Doctor Wu, Here at the Western World, and King of the World and not appreciate the lyrical and conceptual brilliance, then it is truly your loss.