Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Any Veterinarians Out There

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,008

    Any Veterinarians Out There

    That are in the least competent?

    Years ago I had a couple of great Vets, they retired and died.

    I haven't found one worth a tinkers damn since. Seems as all any vet will do is demand they do a full exam, which is worthless in respect to the issue at hand, and then prescribe antibiotics and try to sell you there highly over priced dog food.

    Our Vizsla Jethro has had issues with his skin since a puppy, we have taken him to several dermatologist and 1/2 dozen different vets at least 40 visits and in excess of $5000 spent.

    Incredibly frustrating. They claim it's allergies, yet no treatment has helped.
    He is fine for a while then relapses, now that he is elderly the condition is constant. Hair loss and flaky skin.

    Any how so I have been searching the net in an effort to diagnose him myself, and I am thinking it may be a genetic condition called [B]sebaceous adenitis[/B]

    Does anyone have any experience in treating this condition?

    Just needed to vent a bit, and am at the point of trying anything to help Jet.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,916
    Don't know if you remember, but I have a vizsla as well. This site is an excellent resource, maybe it will lead to some answers:

    [url]http://www.vizslaforums.com/index.php[/url]

    Best of luck to you and your V Jethro. They are wonderful animals.:yes:

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4244809]That are in the least competent?

    Years ago I had a couple of great Vets, they retired and died.

    I haven't found one worth a tinkers damn since. Seems as all any vet will do is demand they do a full exam, which is worthless in respect to the issue at hand, and then prescribe antibiotics and try to sell you there highly over priced dog food.

    Our Vizsla Jethro has had issues with his skin since a puppy, we have taken him to several dermatologist and 1/2 dozen different vets at least 40 visits and in excess of $5000 spent.

    Incredibly frustrating. They claim it's allergies, yet no treatment has helped.
    He is fine for a while then relapses, now that he is elderly the condition is constant. Hair loss and flaky skin.

    Any how so I have been searching the net in an effort to diagnose him myself, and I am thinking it may be a genetic condition called [B]sebaceous adenitis[/B]

    Does anyone have any experience in treating this condition?

    Just needed to vent a bit, and am at the point of trying anything to help Jet.[/QUOTE]

    Diet is a big deal when it comes to a dog's health. When you get your dog off of kibble, you'll see a big difference. Check your PM.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    I have had dogs my whole life. 90% of the time the issue is the dog food. The other 10% of he time it is a contact allergy.

    I have bulldogs which are notorious for skin problems. And sometimes there are no "cures", rather just ways to minimize the problems. Foods, shampoos, immunotherapy and benadryl.

    I can say that food is a huge culprit with skin problems and that you are wrong b.c a high quality food makes a huge difference.

    If the dog is older, the hair loss and flaky skin may be do to a thyroid problem. Has the dog ever had a thyroid test.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-20-2011 at 08:48 PM.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4244970]I have had dogs my whole life. 90% of the time the issue is the dog food. The other 10% of he time it is a contact allergy.

    If the dog is older, the hair loss and flaky skin may be do to a thyroid problem. Has the dog ever had a thyroid test.[/QUOTE]

    DD, have you ever done a raw diet with any of your dogs?

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4244979]DD, have you ever done a raw diet with any of your dogs?[/QUOTE]

    No. I have had luck with changing the food in the past. A higher quality food has worked. Sometimes I have had to feed a dog a prescription food like HA.

    A lot of the cheaper foods use grain as a filler. A lot of dogs are allergic to various grains.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4244988]No. I have had luck with changing the food in the past. A higher quality food has worked. Sometimes I have had to feed a dog a prescription food like HA.

    A lot of the cheaper foods use grain as a filler. A lot of dogs are allergic to various grains.[/QUOTE]

    I switched to raw two years ago. I will never use kibble again. Not even "higher end" kibble.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4244993]I switched to raw two years ago. I will never use kibble again. Not even "higher end" kibble.[/QUOTE]

    Yea every dog is different. If people saw what was actually put into dog food they would never buy it. Im not going to get into it b.c it is disgusting. I wouldn't feed Hitler that food.

  9. #9
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4244996]Yea every dog is different. If people saw what was actually put into dog food they would never buy it. Im not going to get into it b.c it is disgusting. I wouldn't feed Hitler that food.[/QUOTE]

    That's why my dog gets meat, veggies and ,fruit. Can't go wrong there.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    5,008
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4244958]Diet is a big deal when it comes to a dog's health. When you get your dog off of kibble, you'll see a big difference. Check your PM.[/QUOTE]

    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4244970]I have had dogs my whole life. 90% of the time the issue is the dog food. The other 10% of he time it is a contact allergy.

    I have bulldogs which are notorious for skin problems. And sometimes there are no "cures", rather just ways to minimize the problems. Foods, shampoos, immunotherapy and benadryl.

    I can say that food is a huge culprit with skin problems and that you are wrong b.c a high quality food makes a huge difference.

    If the dog is older, the hair loss and flaky skin may be do to a thyroid problem. [B]Has the dog ever had a thyroid test[/B].[/QUOTE]

    ===================================================

    Jethro has confirmed allergies to lots of things, potatoes, beef, wheat, most all grasses, maple trees, dust mites, etc.

    Dog food is an interesting subject, we have had good luck with certain dog foods then all of a sudden digestion problems. what I have found is if you read the label on dog foods even the expensive science diet, they will alter there recipe as they see fit, stuff like switching from a corn base to a wheat base. Jethro is currently on a diet of turkey burger, rice, peas, and carrots, we cook up a big batch in a pot and serve portions with pumpkin and yogurt. actually quite affordable and no real weight gain. He loves it.

    He does have some thyroid issues. Takes a thyroid medicine.

    Jethro is 10 1/2 years old.

    For the most part we have done all we can to eliminate the allergy stuff, wash his bedding weekly, keep him inside for the most part. At his age and with his bad hips (LOL this dog is a wreck) we don't exercise him that much and he appears quite happy and content. This dog is an absolute kick in the ass, has more character then most people I know.

    Just really disappointed with what passes for veterinarians these days. I really believe he has this genetic disease that is killing the glands that moisturize his skin Sebaceous Adenitis.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,137
    Are you certain that there is nothing in the food that that dog is allergic to?

    Also, this is a bad time of year for allergies. Many dogs are allergic to leaves. Unfortunately there is no 100% cure for allergies. The only thing you can do is try to lessen the effects.

    Im sure you already know this but if not, you may want to look into omega-3. It is good for the skin and coat. However, the dog might be allergic to fish so you may want to try flaxseed oil. You can by whole flax and grind it up and add it to his food. It is also good for digestion.

    Also when was the last time his thyroid was checked. He may need a different dosage.

    Did you just start with the turkey? I know my dog is allergic to poultry and thus has to get his protein from soy. Also rice can be an problem as well. It is a grain.

    Given his age all you can do is just try to make him as comfortable as possible. I know it is frustrating b.c there isnt anything I wouldn't do to help my dog and when you can't help it is a terrible feeling.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us