Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse gases rose to record high in 2010: UN

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Greenhouse gases rose to record high in 2010: UN

[URL="http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/greenhouse-gases-rise-to-record-high-in-2010-un/3685334"]http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-22/greenhouse-gases-rise-to-record-high-in-2010-un/3685334[/URL]

[QUOTE]

The amount of global warming-causing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere rose to a new high in 2010 and the rate of increase has accelerated, the UN weather agency said on Monday.

[B]Levels of carbon dioxide - a greenhouse gas and major contributor to climate change - rose by 2.3 parts per million between 2009 and 2010, higher than the average for the past decade of 2.0 parts per million, a new report by the World Meteorological Organisation found.[/B]

"The atmospheric burden of greenhouse gases due to human activities has yet again reached record levels since pre-industrial time," said WMO secretary-general Michel Jarraud.

Greenhouse gases trap radiation within the earth's atmosphere, causing it to warm.

Scientists attributed the rise in carbon dioxide, which contributes about 64 per cent to climate warming, to fossil fuel burning, deforestation and changes in land-use.

Methane, produced by cattle-rearing and landfills, is the second most important greenhouse gas after carbon dioxide followed by nitrous oxide.

The WMO's annual Greenhouse Gas Bulletin said methane levels had risen after a period of relative stabilisation from 1999 to 2006, possibly due to the thawing of the Northern permafrost and increased emissions from tropical wetlands.

Nitrous oxide, emitted into the atmosphere from natural and man-made sources, including biomass burning and fertilizer use, was 323.2 parts per billion in 2010 - 20 per cent higher than in the pre-industrial era, defined as the period before 1750.

"Its impact on climate, over a 100 year period, is 298 times greater than equal emissions of carbon dioxide," said the report.

"It also plays an important role in the destruction of the stratospheric ozone layer which protects us from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun."

"Even if we managed to halt our greenhouse gas emissions today - and this is far from the case - they would continue to linger in the atmosphere for decades to come and so continue to affect the delicate balance of our living planet and our climate," said Mr Jarraud.

"Now more than ever before, we need to understand the complex, and sometimes unexpected, interactions between greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, Earth's biosphere and oceans."

The seventh Greenhouse Gas Bulletin comes ahead of a new round of UN climate talks in South Africa next Monday, testing global resolve to tackle what scientists warn is a time bomb with an ever-shorter fuse.

Analysts say the UN process is still traumatised by the near-collapse of the 2009 Copenhagen Summit and, in Durban, faces a bustup over the Kyoto Protocol, the only agreement setting legal curbs on greenhouse gases.

[/QUOTE]

We supposed to believe the UN? Get Real!

[QUOTE]The amount of global warming-causing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere rose to a new high in 2010[/QUOTE]

A new high....in the few decades we have reliable records for.

[QUOTE]rose by 2.3 parts per million between 2009 and 2010, higher than the average for the past decade of 2.0 parts per million[/QUOTE]

The planet is 5 billion years old, give or take.

Sorry, 0.3 ppm change in a ten year period does not armageddon make.

"The atmospheric burden of greenhouse gases due to human activities has yet again reached record levels since pre-industrial time," said WMO secretary-general Michel Jarraud.

Greenhouse gases trap radiation within the earth's atmosphere, causing it to warm.

[QUOTE]Scientists attributed the rise in carbon dioxide, which contributes about 64 per cent to climate warming, to fossil fuel burning[/QUOTE]

I.e. the Modern Industrial World, Economy, and Everything it brings with it.

[QUOTE]deforestation and changes in land-use.[/QUOTE]

I.e. so poor people in other countries can plant crops and eat.

[QUOTE]Methane, produced by cattle-rearing and landfills, is the second most important greenhouse gas after carbon dioxide followed by nitrous oxide.[/QUOTE]

As I tell Bit regularly, the best thing he can do as an individual is convert to vegetarianism, and stop supporting the methane-venting industry of industrial meat-making.

[QUOTE]The WMO's annual Greenhouse Gas Bulletin said methane levels had risen after a period of relative stabilisation from 1999 to 2006, possibly due to the thawing of the Northern permafrost and increased emissions from tropical wetlands.[/QUOTE]

Possibly?

You mean they don't know the cause?

They don't even know the cause of the change?

[QUOTE]"Now more than ever before, we need to understand the complex, and sometimes unexpected, interactions between greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, Earth's biosphere and oceans."[/QUOTE]

Now that I can agreew ith.

They could start by figuring out the cause for the above.

[QUOTE]scientists warn is a time bomb with an ever-shorter fuse.[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll find out. If the planet is a wasteland in 50 years, I guess they'll be right after all.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4246542]

A new high....in the few decades we have reliable records for.

[/QUOTE]

I think they use ice cores to get readings from the past.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4246542]A new high....in the few decades we have reliable records for.

The planet is 5 billion years old, give or take.

Sorry, 0.3 ppm change in a ten year period does not armageddon make.

I.e. the Modern Industrial World, Economy, and Everything it brings with it.

I.e. so poor people in other countries can plant crops and eat.

As I tell Bit regularly, the best thing he can do as an individual is convert to vegetarianism, and stop supporting the methane-venting industry of industrial meat-making.

Possibly?

You mean they don't know the cause?

They don't even know the cause of the change?

Now that I can agreew ith.

They could start by figuring out the cause for the above.

Guess we'll find out. If the planet is a wasteland in 50 years, I guess they'll be right after all.[/QUOTE]

Send me a e-mail message to the thgreatbeyond.com

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4246542]Sorry, 0.3 ppm change in a ten year period does not armageddon make.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, the ppm rose by 2.3 from 2009 to 2010. For the past decade, the average rise per year has been 2.0 ppm so the total rise would be a bit over 20 ppm.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4246723]Just to be clear, the ppm rose by 2.3 from 2009 to 2010. For the past decade, the average rise per year has been 2.0 ppm so the total rise would be a bit over 20 ppm.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, CO2 reaches toxic levels at about 10,000 ppm.

CO2 levels also flucutate 2 - 4 ppm from warm to cold months based on vegetation in cold climates alone.

All League
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4246928]Just FYI, CO2 reaches toxic levels at about 10,000 ppm.

CO2 levels also flucutate 2 - 4 ppm from warm to cold months based on vegetation in cold climates alone.[/QUOTE]

And the average human can subsist by picking undigested seeds out of cow dung.

What are you doing personally about this Carbon Dioxide, Methane and Nitrous Oxide epidemic Buster?

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247035]What are you doing personally about this Carbon Dioxide, Methane and Nitrous Oxide epidemic Buster?[/QUOTE]

The usual stuff and voting for "green" candidates.

[QUOTE=Buster;4247045]The usual stuff[/quote]

Such as?

[quote]....and voting for "green" candidates.[/QUOTE]

That you wouldn't have voted for otherwise?

The problem is you have countries with much larger populations than the US like China and India rapidly industrializing. Same reason fossil fuels are becoming so much more expensive than in the past. There is almost nothing the US can do to stop this on its own.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Buster;4247045]The usual stuff and voting for "green" candidates.[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"]This guy's usual stuff ?? ...[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_w7xpWjOKy_s/TIe8GCoHmJI/AAAAAAAANMs/-UojG-_RmvQ/ed_begley_jr_EMA_congrats.jpg[/IMG]

[B][SIZE="3"]
    Or this guy's usual stuff ?? ...[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://farmwars.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/al-gore-plane1.gif[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4246928]Just FYI, CO2 reaches toxic levels at about 10,000 ppm.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Doing a little research, the current CO2 levels in the atmosphere are around 390 ppm. The concentration of CO2 has increased about 25% since 1960.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247099]Such as?

[/QUOTE]

I recycle

I caulked and used the plastic baggy kit on my old leaky windows

I have a timed thermostat

I wear a fleece sweatshirt most of the winter

I use compact florescent light bulbs

I voted in favor of PSE&G taking a little money out of each bill to fund solar, wind and energy conservation projects (then Governor Christie using executive power pushed that money right into the general fund)

I rarely turn on my AC

Etc...

[QUOTE=Warfish;4247099]

That you wouldn't have voted for otherwise?

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say.
    But chances are those folks have\or had similar policy views outside of environmental concerns that I do and thus would have gotten my vote.

[QUOTE=Buster;4247147]I recycle

I caulked and used the plastic baggy kit on my old leaky windows

I have a timed thermostat

I wear a fleece sweatshirt most of the winter

I use compact florescent light bulbs

I voted in favor of PSE&G taking a little money out of each bill to fund solar, wind and energy conservation projects (then Governor Christie using executive power pushed that money right into the general fund)

I rarely turn on my AC

Etc...[/quote]

So nothing of any actual, meaningful, consequence to CO2, nitrous oxide or methane output then.

[quote]Hard to say.
    But chances are those folks have\or had similar policy views outside of environmental concerns that I do and thus would have gotten my vote.[/QUOTE]

So the answer then is "no".

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247150]So nothing of any actual, meaningful, consequence to CO2, nitrous oxide or methane output then.[/QUOTE]

Stopped eating beans.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247150]

So nothing of any actual, meaningful, consequence to CO2, nitrous oxide or methane output then.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This is why we need to combat this on the National level.

Glad to see you've come over from the dark side.
    :D

[QUOTE=Buster;4247192]Agreed.

This is why we need to combat this on the National level.

Glad to see you've come over from the dark side.
    :D[/QUOTE]

And how would we do that?

Could we use the same Commerce Clause argument used for HEalthcare, and mandate that (as commerce) all Americans must purchase and install solar technology into every home and office and building in America?

After all, is not the environement we all share even more important that healthcare? The environment falls apart, healthcare wouldn't matter, we'd all be dead!

Would you support an Environmental Protecion Energy Act by our Federal Governemnt, to force us all (for the greater good) to convert to solar energy now?

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4247224]And how would we do that?

Could we use the same Commerce Clause argument used for HEalthcare, and mandate that (as commerce) all Americans must purchase and install solar technology into every home and office and building in America?

After all, is not the environement we all share even more important that healthcare? The environment falls apart, healthcare wouldn't matter, we'd all be dead!

Would you support an Environmental Protecion Energy Act by our Federal Governemnt, to force us all (for the greater good) to convert to solar energy now?[/QUOTE]

Stop trying to turn me into Stalin. Your Straw-man arguments are boring. Say what you feel and stop trying to paint how i feel.

Put Solar panels on every public school building and you'd accomplish more energy generation and fix a flucyuating cost (which kills school budgets) for school systems nationwide.