Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help navigating NYC for a day out with the family...

Jets Insider VIP

Question Need help navigating NYC for a day out with the family...

I've lived here my whole life and was never a fan of NYC, more specifically driving in it . I just tighten up completely and I am just miserable the entire time and can't enjoy myself.

But I don't want my ineptitude to become a hindrance to having my kids experience NYC during the holidays. I want to take then to see the tree, and watch their jaws drop when they walk in to FAO Schwartz, etc.

Can I take the ferry over from Hoboken instead of driving? How far away would I be from 5th ave?

Help!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Watch out for the pimps and the chuds.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

How about going through the Lincoln Tunnel and then parking at Port Authority? You'll be able to get right back in the tunnel without traffic and you can then either jump in a cab, walk or take the subway one stop up to 50th and 8th and then walk over to Rock Center. There are other garages on the West Side that don't involve too much driving. Its better not to get too close to Rock Center - driving there is miserable during holiday season. Parking by 8th Ave is the way to go.

The ferry is doable too. They have shuttle buses that go from the ferry terminal that go cross town. You just have to see how often they run on weekends, assuming that's when you're going. Its not really walkable as you'd be by the west side highway (12th Ave), if you're going to be with kids.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If you're going to do the tourist thing in Manhattan, hitting a number of spots, I strongly recommend that you don't drive in and attempt to go from point to point to point that way. Especially between now and Christmas. It's a fool's game.

When I drive the fam in, I try to keep the activity contained within a general area and find a few parking garages with deals in the vicinity. Print out their gauranteed rates and drive in. Save big $ doing a little google research on parking options in advance. They have to honor the deal.

If you are going into the red-hot center of the tourist universe - times square - look for the garages closer to 11th and 10th avenue between 34th and 50th. It's a lit bit longer of a walk but the rates are substantially cheaper than 2 avenues to the east.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can't wait for the Rage comic of this trip to come out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

A cheaper route if you are coming from Jersey would be to park in Jersey City and take the Path from Journal Square, then grab the subway system at the Trade Center. Driving around Manhattan in Decemeber is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    A cheaper route if you are coming from Jersey would be to park in Jersey City and take the Path from Journal Square, then grab the subway system at the Trade Center. Driving around Manhattan in Decemeber is brutal.
    IMO you shouldn't even consider driving in Manhattan as an option. It is WELL worth a taxi or subway ride to avoid the trip ruining stress. Path will have you in Manhattan in 30 mins then you can go from there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

If you're coming from deep in NJ, you can drive to Secaucus and train it from there. Or just drive in, ya wuss. Park your car near the Lincoln and use public trans once you're in.

There is absolutely no reason to drive in if you're coming from Hoboken. You're talking about a 20 minute (max) PATH ride to Macy's 34th street.

Jets Insider VIP
    LMAO

I hope his wife doesn't see that you drew her as an 80 year old.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

LMAO

I hope his wife doesn't see that you drew her as an 80 year old.
    lol, she had the best expression

Jets Insider VIP
    Drive them to Albany and just tell them it just seems smaller because of downsizing.

The economy and all.

loflz...

i immediately thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQaF...eature=related

Hall Of Fame
    Take them to Euro Disney.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I've lived here my whole life and was never a fan of NYC, more specifically driving in it. I just tighten up completely and I am just miserable the entire time and can't enjoy myself. But I don't want my ineptitude to become a hindrance to having my kids experience NYC during the holidays. I want to take then to see the tree, and watch their jaws drop when they walk in to FAO Schwartz, etc.
    Can I take the ferry over from Hoboken instead of driving? How far away would I be from 5th ave?

Help!
    Like everyone else said for the most part, forget driving around. If it is during the week, I wouldn't even bother driving into the city at all, public transportation, the commuting version of a lease is the way to go. If it was the weekend I would drive in then shuttle around by foot, cab or the subway.

How far from the tree will you be standing?

Will there be chestnuts?

All I know about coming and going from NJ to NYC I learned through the Jets. I'd say that driving to Secaucus Junction and taking the train to Penn Station NYC is the best bet. its a 15 minute ride and there must be 2-3 trains and hour in both directions. From Penn take the 1 uptown to 50th and 7th and then walk 2 avenues to 5th. American Girl Place is at 49th and 5th. FAO Schwartz is at 59th and 5th. My guys love Max Brenner's Chocolate Restaurant, Broadway between 13th and 14th streets. I also have taught my sopne to love the Blarney Rock.

Pay for parking pay for a subway and or a train. Wait a minute doesnt BMW pay for everything? I thought everything was FREE.

Jets Insider VIP

So, I never did this trip last year, but I want to take them to FAO this year.

Funny thing though, I was googling how to get to FAO from NJ, and this thread came up in the search results!

So I guessing taking the ferry and walking from there is not a good idea.
    Would I get ass-raped by chuds if I try to take a taxi to FAO?

Jets Insider VIP

Funny thing though, I was googling how to get to FAO from NJ, and this thread came up in the search results!

Also, legimtimate LOLs after seeing this rage comic again. Well done JW!

All League

Don't you own a GPS, grandpa?

Also, I'm no expert, but I do believe there are these really neat underground trains that get you from point A to point B with relative ease. I've heard you can even start on a train in New Jersey and get to Manhattan. UNDERGROUND! Can you believe it? I mean, there's a RIVER that you'd have to go over/under/through. Wow, will wonders ever cease?