Thread: Nook or Kindle? Why/Why Not?

Veteran

Nook or Kindle? Why/Why Not?

Im looking for a birthday/Christmas gift for my wife and need advice on which to get. Any input would be appreciated!

All League

I'm looking as well

Found this article:

[url]http://news.inventhelp.com/Articles/Electronics/Electronics/the-nook-tablet-12581.aspx[/url]

Veteran
    I got the basic Kindle with wifi and what they call special offers. It was cheap. The main reason was the battery life which can last for months if you don't use the wifi much. Plus when you do, you can download books from anywhere. It's great for what it is. I did not want extra bells and whistles. If I need to surf the web and do other stuff, I use my laptop. There is alot of redundancy between all of our electronic devices.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Agree on the plain-jane kindle if it's just for reading. I paid a little more so it didn't have the special offers, because it was for my 10 year old son, but the battery life is phenomenal, and the screen is incredible, easy to read in bright light, at the beach, etc., get the case with the little slide-out led light for the dark (runs on the kindle battery too), it's a great accessory. The convenience of getting new books is great, too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gave up my old Sony e-reader awhile back to my niece and read on the iphone now. Big mistake.

I bought my son the Nook last year and can't say anything bad about it. Agreed with others in that a straight no frills ereader is they way to go for pure reading.

As an aside, if you have a large ebook library or have access to one, there's a nice free piece of software called Calibre that is a great tool for managing your books no matter what device you choose to read on.

[url]http://calibre-ebook.com/[/url]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=isired;4247779]get the case with the little slide-out led light for the dark (runs on the kindle battery too), it's a great accessory.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It does use some battery juice but it is amazing otherwise.

If you want a full featured 10" Android tablet, Best Buy is selling an Asus Transformer for only $249. (The optional keyboard with built in additional battery is another $99 but not needed) Full HD, tons of memory, a great OS, tons of apps. Sold for $500 about 5 months ago.

Otherwise, I'd stick with the Amazon Fire only because it's backed by Amazon and it's huge library. Reviews say they are pretty close in quality and features, with the nook having better specs. In the end it's all about content and Amazon wins.

my $99 HP Touchpad has the kindle app plus bells & whistles. Best purchase for this year hands down.

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4247841]my $99 HP Touchpad has the kindle app plus bells & whistles. Best purchase for this year hands down.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but that's no longer available, so it doesn't really help the OP.

Why not just read a book?

Well - I've been using the Sony e-readers and IMO they are the best. Originally the Sony was one of the few e-readers where you can borrow an e-book for your local library. The original sony e-readers were in such demand they were usually always sold out as soon as retailers received them so Sony didn't really advertise them but the seroius readers knew about them.

In the 2.5 years with 2 sony e-readers we never purchased a book.

Fast Forward to the new Sony e-reader just released a couple of months ago. The big advantage of the New Sony e-reader is that you can borrow books from your local library directly from your reader. The reader needs a wi-fi network to connect to your local library but as long as you have a library card your good to go. The previous versions of the e-reader you first downloaded your library e-books to your computer and then transfer the e-book to the reader.

Last month the Sony's were on sale for $129, now they (Black, White, Red) are back at their regular price $149.

So you choice is to get trapped into to book buying circle or get smart and let your taxes pay for your books and borrow from your local library.

Product Highlights

Advanced Dual Touch Screen
    Lightweight Design
    Multiple Content Options
    Wireless Public Library Lending
    Supports EPUB, PDF, Text
    E-Paper
    Virtual Keyboard
    6" Screen Size
    Battery Life Up to 1 Month
    Supports IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari

[url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814092-REG/Sony_PRS_T1_BC_PRS_T1_Wi_Fi_Reader.html[/url]

[QUOTE=southside;4247863]Why not just read a book?[/QUOTE]

Books are neither portable nor durable, unfortunately. Books cannot be read in bright sunlight on a beach either.

These crazy new machines have contributed to the demise of my once thriving bookmark business. I sympathize with the plight of book end makers and book shelf builders as well.
    Last edited by 1greenNUT; 11-23-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP

cuz I can have at least 100 books on my Kindle and its easy to carry around

like you read? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4249943]like you read? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What makes you think that I don't read.

[QUOTE=southside;4249947]What makes you think that I don't read.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.cinemagraphcollection.com/cinemagraphs/tumblr_lkontqKgcs1qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=1greenNUT;4248005]Books are neither portable nor durable, unfortunately. Books cannot be read in bright sunlight on a beach either.

These crazy new machines have contributed to the demise of my once thriving bookmark business. I sympathize with the plight of book end makers and book shelf builders as well.[/QUOTE]
    :D

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4247833]If you want a full featured 10" Android tablet, Best Buy is selling an Asus Transformer for only $249. (The optional keyboard with built in additional battery is another $99 but not needed) Full HD, tons of memory, a great OS, tons of apps. Sold for $500 about 5 months ago.

Otherwise, I'd stick with the Amazon Fire only because it's backed by Amazon and it's huge library. Reviews say they are pretty close in quality and features, with the nook having better specs. In the end it's all about content and Amazon wins.[/QUOTE]

The Transformer for that price is an amazing deal but in order to get it you most liklely had to be standing on line at 10pm on Thanksgiving. They came out with a Transformer Prime which is $499/$599 based on memory so I assume the Transformer will probably be around $300 for most of the holidays butt that is one great tablet spec wise!!