Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a TV series to your fellow Hampurites...

Recommend a TV series to your fellow Hampurites...

I think we've been down this road before but if we can do another top 10 movie thread (which gave me the idea, tbh) we can do another one of these...

Fish gave me a great one with Strike Back. I really liked it :yes: So kudos to Fish...

I saw Underbelly thrown around a few months ago and gave it a shot but I couldn't get into it for whatever reason...

Currently watching all new series' such as Homeland (fantastic) and American Horror Story (so-so but must finish it out, season 1 anyway)

There are the obvious, currently airing shows such as Dexter, SOA, Boardwalk Empire, etc...

I've not seen a single episode of Breaking Bad or Mad Men, which I seem to get made fun of for on a pretty consistent basis so there may be something there that I'm missing...

Paulie mentioned Boss the other day and I've seen the first four episodes now and I kinda like it. I'm not sure how it could play out for the long haul though.

Justified is coming back, which is cool.

So what say you. What am I missing out there?

NBC's [I]Community[/I] is week in/week out the most brilliantly conceived and written comedy of the last 10 years (at least). It's bizarre take on humor never ceases to amaze me. I would do just about anything (ideally Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs) to write for this show.

Also, go rent every season of [I]Mad Men[/I] from Netflix, in order. It is spectacularly good. Can't wait for its return in March.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4247685]NBC's [I]Community[/I] is week in/week out the most brilliantly conceived and written comedy of the last 10 years (at least). It's bizarre take on humor never ceases to amaze me. I would do just about anything (ideally Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs) to write for this show.[/quote]

Keep hearing great things about it but network comedies have been so disappointing lately... I don't know how many chances I can keep giving them...

[quote]Also, go rent every season of [I]Mad Men[/I] from Netflix, in order. It is spectacularly good. Can't wait for its return in March.[/QUOTE]

I think when the shows that started airing for sweeps are over, I'll pick up Mad Men &/or Breaking Bad.

They constantly come up in conversations like this, similarly to The Wire which I didn't finish until this year. I was an idiot for waiting that long.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4247692]Keep hearing great things about it but network comedies have been so disappointing lately... I don't know how many chances I can keep giving them...

[B]I think when the shows that started airing for sweeps are over, I'll pick up Mad Men [/B]&/or Breaking Bad.

They constantly come up in conversations like this, similarly to The Wire which I didn't finish until this year. I was an idiot for waiting that long.[/QUOTE]

I was a doubter, too. My wife and I burned through the various seasons on Netflix as fast as we could. The writing, stories, and character development are all anyone could expect. It's that good, AGAW. Plus, the chicks are beyond hot.

All Pro
    Dexter. The Walking Dead. Deadwood.

Some classic Brit stuff: Black Adder, Yes Minister, The Office (UK version).

And just in case you missed it, Band of Brothers is must see.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-22-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    The Walking Dead.

My GF made me start to watch it, and it's pretty good.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4247685]NBC's [I]Community[/I] is week in/week out the most brilliantly conceived and written comedy of the last 10 years (at least). It's bizarre take on humor never ceases to amaze me. I would do just about anything (ideally Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs) to write for this show.

Also, go rent every season of [I]Mad Men[/I] from Netflix, in order. It is spectacularly good. Can't wait for its return in March.[/QUOTE]

Agreed big time with Borg on Community. Alas, it appears as its days are numbered. Seems to be fated to an Arrested Development type lifetime. Too smart for network comedy, ignored by audiences looking for cookie cutter garbage.

Here's my current faves:

(comedy)
    Community
    Bored to Death
    Eastbound and Down
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Louie
    Wilfred
    Archer
    The League
    Portlandia
    Workaholics
    Blue Mountain State

(drama)
    American Horror Story
    Justified
    Fringe
    Hell on Wheels
    True Blood

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4247727]

Justified

[/QUOTE]

Forgot about that.

When is it back?

Great show.

_

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4247727]Agreed big time with Borg on Community. Alas, it appears as its days are numbers. Seems to be fated to an Arrested Development type lifetime. Too smart for network comedy, ignored by audiences looking for cookie cutter garbage.

[/QUOTE]

What? It's going on hiatus or cancelled? F**k, it's my one "can't miss" show of the week.

+1 on Walking Dead.

In the same category I'd consider Falling Skies....Season 2 doesn't start til next summer I believe.

About the same on American Horror Story as you...still haven't figured it out yet...expecting that it [I]could[/I] be really good but is falling just short. Can't stop watching it though.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4247730]What? It's going on hiatus or cancelled? F**k, it's my one "can't miss" show of the week.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you're giving up Community AND the Jets this year :D

_

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything under the radar . . . .

[I]Homeland[/I] is excellent. That, along, with [I]Dexter[/I] and [I]Boardwalk Empire[/I] are staples in my current TV rotation.

Among completed or "on hiatus" series, I particularly enjoyed [I]Mad Men[/I], [I]Prison Break[/I], [I]24[/I] and [I]Friday Night Lights[/I].

Jets Insider VIP
    I watch a lot of the shows already mentioned, so I figured I would suggest the following:

Battlestar Galactica. Don't let the genre or goofy 70s version of the franchise be a turn-off. Easily one of the best written and acted shows of the decade.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgCwuWaVXdA[/url]

Another that I highly recommend would be 'Luther'. It's a BBC mini-series that has had two go-arounds so far, with a rumored third in the works. Idris Elba is outstanding in it, as is the rest of the cast.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olSKmVsjFxg[/url]

Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, and Walking Dead are my 'must-see' shows right now.

Spartacus, also, will be interesting to see how the new lead fits in.

just started watching American Horror Story, i think it's very well done and not afraid to take chances. i think it could develop into a great show, if they allow it.

Im on my phone now, not being lazy... But can someone break down The Walking Dead for me, plz...

Btw, was The Killing renewed? Great, great show.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4247784]Im on my phone now, not being lazy... But can someone break down The Walking Dead for me, plz...[/QUOTE]

Zombie Apolcalysp, not enough generators to go around, all hell breaks loose :eek:

main character is a small-town Sheriff, gets shot while on duty when the world was still a normal place, wakes up at the hospital only to find that he has been abandoned in a world overrun by zombies (a la '28 Days Later').

he sets off to try to reunite with his wife and young son, and that's where the adventure begins....

very good show so far.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4247789]Zombie Apolcalysp, not enough generators to go around, all hell breaks loose :eek:

main character is a small-town Sheriff, gets shot while on duty when the world was still a normal place, wakes up at the hospital only to find that he has been abandoned in a world overrun by zombies (a la '28 Days Later').

he sets off to try to reunite with his wife and young son, and that's where the adventure begins....

very good show so far.[/QUOTE]

Gracias.

And rmao @ cross thread poli.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4247729]Forgot about that.

When is it back?

Great show.

_[/QUOTE]

January

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4247730]What? It's going on hiatus or cancelled? F**k, it's my one "can't miss" show of the week.[/QUOTE]

mid-season hiatus, replaced by that ugly, skinny chick with the big nose that is never funny, whatshername