Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk turkey!

Jets Insider VIP

Let's talk turkey!

What are you cooking? What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

We're leaning towards deep-frying a small turkey this year. I tried it a few years ago with some success....tastes great, cooks faster.

Watching football of course and then taking the family to a friend's house for evening dessert and the late NFL game.

Share your plans and cough up some recipes, you turkeys!

Brining the Turkey overnight and putting in the smoker.

Way too long to paste, but here's the recipe I'm following:

[url]http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html[/url]

However, I like to use mesquite/hickory for the smoke wood.

Family visiting arriving tomorrow night so it should be a good one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Turkey is the second course for us. First is a nice pasta with meat gravy. I'll throw some pics up Thursday when it's all on the table, it's a sight to see!

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4247813]Turkey is the second course for us. First is a nice pasta with [B]meat gravy[/B]. I'll throw some pics up Thursday when it's all on the table, it's a sight to see![/QUOTE]

You mean tomato sauce? ;)

I should take American thanksgiving off, in Canada we have ours in october. But all day football is dang tempting.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4247792]What are you cooking? What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

[B]We're leaning towards deep-frying a small turkey this year. I tried it a few years ago with some success[/B]....tastes great, cooks faster.

Watching football of course and then taking the family to a friend's house for evening dessert and the late NFL game.

Share your plans and cough up some recipes, you turkeys![/QUOTE]

Stream, even though you had some sucess on the last one, look up the saftey warnings before you do it again. Potential backyard nightmare there.

(sorry for being a debbie downer)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4247815]You mean [B]tomato sauce? ;)[/B]I should take American thanksgiving off, in Canada we have ours in october. But all day football is dang tempting.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="5"]SUGO![/SIZE]

[IMG]http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/ttv2.jpg[/IMG]

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwvRSi2dFxI/TOK-Vfk9b7I/AAAAAAAAEoo/DBEQYpXV3s0/s1600/wholefoods+thanksgiving+1.jpg[/IMG]

Two words for you: Whole Foods

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    women should make the turkey.

men should get loaded and watch football.

the pussification of America goes on.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4247813]Turkey is the second course for us. First is a nice pasta with meat gravy. I'll throw some pics up Thursday when it's all on the table, it's a sight to see![/QUOTE]

Us too. Usually lasagna or stuffed shells with meatballs, sausage, and veal braciole. Before the pasta course though, we have a soup, lobster bisque this year, followed by a few apps like stuffed cherrystones and Nantucket bay scallops wrapped in bacon. Entire meal takes about 4 hours from start to finish, with breaks in between for expresso and annisette, poker, and cigars.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4247829]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

MMM....nothing says Thanksgiving like re-heated supermarket take out.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;4247832]women should make the turkey.

[B]women and[/B] men should get loaded and watch football.

[/QUOTE]

fixed :P

making a turkey breast in the oven (haven't tried fried turkey yet), because it's just the two of us

husband has to go into hospital on Friday for an out-patient thing, so no Thanksgiving drinking, though we both might be watching football with a hangover on Thursday :D

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4247792]What are you cooking? What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

We're leaning towards deep-frying a small turkey this year. I tried it a few years ago with some success....tastes great, cooks faster.

Share your plans and cough up some recipes, you turkeys![/QUOTE]

Does frying a turkey add a lot of fat, like french fries? I never had one, would like to try it sometime, but I avoid fatty foods.

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4247820][IMG]http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/ttv2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Swanson :D

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4247792]

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/11j0z6s.jpg[/IMG]

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4247829][IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwvRSi2dFxI/TOK-Vfk9b7I/AAAAAAAAEoo/DBEQYpXV3s0/s1600/wholefoods+thanksgiving+1.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Very Jewish

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    -Herb roasted turkey
    -Roasted butternut squash soup
    -Whole wheat chibbata giblet baked stuffing
    -Creamy garlic mash
    -Roasted balsamic brussell sprouts
    - Cranberry sauce
    -Giblet pan dripping gravy
    -Home made pumpkin and Chocolate pie
    -MArinated roasted root veggies
    And Football

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4247829][IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwvRSi2dFxI/TOK-Vfk9b7I/AAAAAAAAEoo/DBEQYpXV3s0/s1600/wholefoods+thanksgiving+1.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

So ghetto.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm brining our 23 lb turkey tomorow morning for a good 24 hours then making my Mom's sausage stuffing.

That's all I do, everyone makes everything else.

Have 4 bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau, 2 bottles of Pinot Noir and a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4247813]Turkey is the second course for us. First is a nice pasta with meat gravy. I'll throw some pics up Thursday when it's all on the table, it's a sight to see![/QUOTE]

Yep, we start with lasagna too. Also stuffed mushrooms/artichokes in addition to all the traditional fixings.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4247897]Very Jewish[/QUOTE]

Just joking there. We did order the uncooked bird from Whole Foods, get a little seasoning there too. The wife and MIL do the rest, always a lot of Italian to go with the traditional fare.

SAR I