Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do we even realize how terrible our receiving corps is?!

All League
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4249361]it is hard to make a bailout type of catch when the ball is in the dirt or five feet over a guys head. With ELI the ball is near to the receiver so he can make a move on the ball. When the ball is near HOLMES et al they do make the catches ala Eli. The inaccurate passes will hurt all receivers![/QUOTE]

Tell that to Big Ben's receivers. And no way in hell is Eli as on the button accurate as you claim. Nicks has been hurt a lot this season taking a beating trying to catch Eli's wild throws, but he still does it because he is on the cusp of being an absolute elite receiver.

WR's catch the ball. You think Jerry Rice would tolerate another wideout telling him they didn't catch the ball because it was too low or too high? The man would probably blow a fuse and rightfully so.

Since you're so valiant in white knighting for the cause of "no excuses" this shouldn't be one either. Period

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4249424]Hate to break it to you but we're not finishing at the bottom of round one. At this point in time we'll be the middle of round 1.

And the Jets pick on Best player available. We had Cro And Revis and we still picked Wilson. Everyone ran around like a chicken with their heads cut off because Jerry Hughs and Sergio Kindle were still available. Look how that panned out.

There are no late to middle round OLBs in this draft class. Upshaw is a decent prospect but he also plays on one of the most talented defenses in the NCAA. It's not exactly a bad thing but Upshaw would need to absolutely dominate which by game film you'll see he really hasn't and he really doesn't have the explosive skill that can take over a game.

You draft best player available. Period[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. But the players the Jets need aren't available in the middle of the first-round either. I am talking ready-made guys that they can just plug-in and go with.

The "elite" Pass Rushers are all gone in the Top 5-10 and Receivers in the Top 10-15, depending on the year and the needs of the teams at the top.

I think the Jets best chance is to draft a "character guy" who has fallen from grace but has a ton of talent. Similar to Dez Bryant situation. He dropped to 24.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249436]I agree with everything you said. But the players the Jets need aren't available in the middle of the first-round either. I am talking ready-made guys that they can just plug-in and go with.

The "elite" Pass Rushers are all gone in the Top 5-10 and Receivers in the Top 10-15, depending on the year and the needs of the teams at the top.

[B]I think the Jets best chance is to draft a "character guy" who has fallen from grace but has a ton of talent. Similar to Dez Bryant situation. He dropped to 24.[/B][/QUOTE]

...that's Michael Floyd to a T. All the talent in the world but has been a bonehead and a slight diva complex.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4249446]...that's Michael Floyd to a T. All the talent in the world but has been a bonehead and a slight diva complex.[/QUOTE]

I dont mind guys who have made mistakes but in my book the worst thing a WR can be is a diva. I would rather have a tough guy who got into a few fights or cheated on some tests but was a good teammate. I don't think Bryant was ever considered a bad teammate or diva.

And it is also important to note that the Jets need a WR who can block. They miss Edwards' blocking in the run game.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249456]I dont mind guys who have made mistakes but in my book the worst thing a WR can be is a diva. I would rather have a tough guy who got into a few fights or cheated on some tests but was a good teammate. I don't think Bryant was ever considered a bad teammate.

And it is also important to note that the Jets need a WR who can block. They miss Edwards' blocking in the run game.[/QUOTE]

Bryant was and is absolutely a diva. He threw a hissy fit in Cowboys camp because a veteran tried to make him carry his pads. He slacks to the point that now his conditioning is in question as you see him loaf around in the second half of games. He's talented as hell and would love him on the team but Bryant isn't a class act by any means.

And Floyd is a very good blocker. Think of Floyd as a Fitzgerald talent with Braylon Edwards character concerns. (I believe he's had a DUI and been in a fight at ND which has cost him playing time this season)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249436]I agree with everything you said. But the players the Jets need aren't available in the middle of the first-round either. I am talking ready-made guys that they can just plug-in and go with.

[B]The "elite" Pass Rushers are all gone in the Top 5-10 and Receivers in the Top 10-15[/B], depending on the year and the needs of the teams at the top.

I think the Jets best chance is to draft a "character guy" who has fallen from grace but has a ton of talent. Similar to Dez Bryant situation. He dropped to 24.[/QUOTE]

Look at the top pass rushers today how many were 5-10?? Other then Mario Williams and Peppers.. None of the Jets top pass rushers in history were 5-10 Klecko was 6th rd Gastineau 2nd rd and Abe is below.. Even Gerry Philbin of the Supe 3 team was a 3rd rd pick..

Jared Allen..4th rd pick
    Freeny 11th still not 5-10
    James Harrison UDFA
    Demarcus Ware pick 11 still not 5-10
    Trent Cole 5th rd
    Justin Tuck 3rd rd
    John Abraham not top 10
    LaMarr Woodley 2nd rd
    Cameron Wake UDFA
    Jason Babin late 1st
    Charles Johnson 3rd rd

Practice Squad
    Our receivers are fine. Our QB is fine.

Our OL sucks.

[QUOTE=Klingon;4249467]Our receivers are fine. Our QB is fine.

Our OL sucks.[/QUOTE]
    Improve the OL esp RT and bring back Braylon

All League
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4249047]Not a blazer? Guy runs the 40 in the 4.4-4.35 range. You really dont get a whole lot faster then Holmes. He is faster then Brey. Sanchez has the weapons. I would love Sanu but I'm not worried about our WRs one bit. There is no stud WR that will magically fall in our laps.[/QUOTE]

Holmes is quick, but in no way a top 10 speed guy who beats guys over the top often. Heck, he probably isn't in the top 4 guys on the Jets in speed. Kerley, McKnight, revisi, Wilson, and Vlad

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249456]I dont mind guys who have made mistakes but in my book the worst thing a WR can be is a diva. e.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the worst thing a WR is slow with bad hands. Most of the great ones have a bit of diva in them.

I personally think Holmes is an elite talent. And he's shown that to us many times the last two years (certainly more last year than this year, but I think that's more opportunity than anything else).

And I think Plax plays a good role. I think he's come back to be a really nice possession WR kind of guy. Really good for short yardage, and really nice to have when you're close to the end zone.

Keller....not really sure. I think at this point it's safe to say he's not an elite TE, but he's certainly shown some nice flashes.

Beyond those folks, Kerley is looking pretty good, but then the other guys...who are the other guys? I don't think we've seen much of them this year

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248949]1. Keyshawn Johnson. Nuff said.

2. I guess you didn't watch Holmes when he was in Pittsburgh. He is not only a #1, he is an elite #1. He is in purgatory with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Might be the funniest post I've read all week. Holmes is so far removed from an elite #1 receiver it's not even funny. He wasn't the number one in Pitt. E only reason Pitt even let him go was they had someone BETTERin Wallace. Holmes had one good season in his career and made a nice catch in the SB. Defensive coordinators are not worried about Holmes. You stop his slant you stop Holmes.

[QUOTE=Cornfed;4249720]I personally think Holmes is an elite talent. And he's shown that to us many times the last two years (certainly more last year than this year, but I think that's more opportunity than anything else).

And I think Plax plays a good role. I think he's come back to be a really nice possession WR kind of guy. Really good for short yardage, and really nice to have when you're close to the end zone.

Keller....not really sure. I think at this point it's safe to say he's not an elite TE, but he's certainly shown some nice flashes.

Beyond those folks, Kerley is looking pretty good, but then the other guys...who are the other guys? I don't think we've seen much of them this year[/QUOTE]
    Plax has really improved the last few weeks ie rust coming off, speed improving, overall he looks much sharper now but we still need someone like Braylon back. Deep speed, big dude who can out muscle safeties/cb's and make crushing blocks all over the field.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4249462]Look at the top pass rushers today how many were 5-10?? Other then Mario Williams and Peppers.. None of the Jets top pass rushers in history were 5-10 Klecko was 6th rd Gastineau 2nd rd and Abe is below.. Even Gerry Philbin of the Supe 3 team was a 3rd rd pick..

Jared Allen..4th rd pick
    Freeny 11th still not 5-10
    James Harrison UDFA
    Demarcus Ware pick 11 still not 5-10
    Trent Cole 5th rd
    Justin Tuck 3rd rd
    John Abraham not top 10
    LaMarr Woodley 2nd rd
    Cameron Wake UDFA
    Jason Babin late 1st
    Charles Johnson 3rd rd[/QUOTE]

Thank You for proving that you can find pass rushers outside the Top 10. I didn't realize any existed.

Good luck to the Jets trying to unearth one in the middle rounds. Maybe they will find one before I lose my hair.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4249721]Might be the funniest post I've read all week. Holmes is so far removed from an elite #1 receiver it's not even funny. He wasn't the number one in Pitt. E only reason Pitt even let him go was they had someone BETTERin Wallace. Holmes had one good season in his career and made a nice catch in the SB. Defensive coordinators are not worried about Holmes. You stop his slant you stop Holmes.[/QUOTE]

I am happy to amuse you.

I will respectfully disagree with everything you have said. I think you have over-simplified things. Holmes does not have a QB/Offense/Coaches that can get him the ball down the field. Wallace does. Holmes can only run the plays that are called.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;4249684]Actually, the worst thing a WR is slow with bad hands. Most of the great ones have a bit of diva in them.[/QUOTE]

Worst thing you can do to a young QB is give him a diva WR that will get in his head and complain. Especially on this Jet team that cannot get the ball down the field and will demand that the "diva" will block in the run game.

Can you imagine T.O. or Randy Moss on this team? LOL.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4249682]Holmes is quick, but in no way a top 10 speed guy who beats guys over the top often. Heck, he probably isn't in the top 4 guys on the Jets in speed. Kerley, McKnight, revisi, Wilson, and Vlad[/QUOTE]

wow just wow those guys arent even close the Holmes in speed. Kerley is a LOT slower. Holmes has very good speed for a #1. There is not nearly as many #1 as you seem to think that can run in the 4.3 range. Wallace, CJ, and DJax are as fast as they get. There is really not a whole lot of good WRs that have that kind of top end speed. Holmes is right up there with speed ballers like Sims Walker and Knox, and Torrey Smth but with much more ability. One of the reasons the Jets went after Holmes like they did is because of his blazing speed and game breaking ability. Is he struggling this year? Yes but so was Mashall until they put Moore in. Just because you dont see him getting the ball doesn't mean he is not getting open deep. I do not think he is elite but he has all the ability to be.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4249786]wow just wow those guys arent even close the Holmes in speed. Kerley is a LOT slower. Holmes has very good speed for a #1. There is not nearly as many #1 as you seem to think that can run in the 4.3 range. Wallace, CJ, and DJax are as fast as they get. There is really not a whole lot of good WRs that have that kind of top end speed. Holmes is right up there with speed ballers like Sims Walker and Knox, and Torrey Smth but with much more ability. One of the reasons the Jets went after Holmes like they did is because of his blazing speed and game breaking ability. Is he struggling this year? Yes but so was Mashall until they put Moore in. Just because you dont see him getting the ball doesn't mean he is not getting open deep. I do not think he is elite but he has all the ability to be.[/QUOTE]

These fans think Holmes is slow and cant run b.c the Jets never allow him to. It is the scheme.

Trust me he is very fast and can blow by a defense but the Jets cannot run those plays with their current personnel for obvious reasons.

I would take Holmes over any of the "burners" in the league. Why? He may not be as fast as them but he is almost as fast and much more of the complete WR than any of them. It is a shame he never gets to show it in this offense.

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4249771]Plax has really improved the last few weeks ie rust coming off, speed improving, overall he looks much sharper now but we still need someone like Braylon back. Deep speed, big dude who can out muscle safeties/cb's and make crushing blocks all over the field.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with that. Braylon played a really good role here last year, and he and Holmes were a great pair.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249787]These fans think Holmes is slow and cant run b.c the Jets never allow him to. It is the scheme.

Trust me he is very fast and can blow by a defense but the Jets cannot run those plays with their current personnel for obvious reasons.

I would take Holmes over any of the "burners" in the league. Why? He may not be as fast as them but he is almost as fast and much more of the complete WR than any of them. It is a shame he never gets to show it in this offense.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="7"][B]+1[/B][/SIZE]