Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we even realize how terrible our receiving corps is?!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we even realize how terrible our receiving corps is?!

Beside all the talk about the various responsible parties for our misery, one gets often overlooked and that is the complete lack of talent among our wide receiving corps. When we are honest we got two players who would start on most teams in this league and those are Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller. Both are really good players even though they aren't elite level either. Other than those two we got a guy who was in prison for 2 years and never practices, a rookie slot receiver who got pushed into the starting lineup in midseason and then two guys who are lucky to even be in the league in Turner and Riley. Rex raved about our talent in this area yet it is one of the biggest weaknesses of this team.

Forget Schotty, forget Sanchez or the OLine... we got no game changers on the outside and on top of that the whole mix is not working at all. We have no one who can blow the top off the defense or who can go deep. Nobody! The strengths of our receivers are all the same. All of them like to get YAC, work the underneath and catch short and intermediate routes. It is so easy to defend (partly of course problem of the system) and has turned into a desaster more than once already. Plax looked better recently but in the end he has been a dissapointment. We do not find him in the red zone, he has no chemistry with Sanchez, never practices and seems to have his own agenda in the end.

Like it or not but we need a) more talent at the receiver position, b) a much better mix between talents and c) another proven wide receiver who does not come out of jail.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all All Pros, I read it here at JI:confused:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think they are that bad. we are missing a deep threat which is hurting us.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCv5eY144s[/url]

Look how well this kid adjusts to inaccurate throws. We need him if he falls to us

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;4248865]i dont think they are that bad. we are missing a deep threat which is hurting us.[/QUOTE]

David Clowney is available.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I look to shuffle around a few parts defensively in FA. And in the draft I go either safety or OLB with the frst pick, whoever is BAP at those 2 positions. And then I go RT, WR, RB and a big blocking TE.

I'm not sure we look to sign Keller and Greene when their contracts are up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4248862]They are all All Pros, I read it here at JI:confused:[/QUOTE]

Your post is so on point that it is SCARY!!!

For example their are tons of posters out here who for years who claimed Chad was better than Brady and wouldn't accept what their eyes were saying to them.

At the end of the day it is one thing for fans to overtstate the Jets talent level but it is another thing entirely for the Jets front office to make that same mistake which it certainly appears that they did....:rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4248862]They are all All Pros, I read it here at JI:confused:[/QUOTE]

That's great. Thank you

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4248875]I look to shuffle around a few parts defensively in FA. And in the draft I go either safety or OLB with the frst pick, whoever is BAP at those 2 positions. And then I go RT, WR, RB and a big blocking TE.

I'm not sure we look to sign Keller and Greene when their contracts are up.[/QUOTE]

Keller yes. Greene cheap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4248868][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCv5eY144s[/url]

Look how well this kid adjusts to inaccurate throws. We need him if he falls to us[/QUOTE]

I like him too. Safety thru FA and then OLB RT TE in the draft

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are not drafting a receiver at the top of the draft. They paid Holmes 50 million. They have Dustin Keller and Kerley. They will find another receiver next year to replace Plax that is in the 2-5 million dollar range.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;4248860]Beside all the talk about the various responsible parties for our misery, one gets often overlooked and that is the complete lack of talent among our wide receiving corps. When we are honest we got two players who would start on most teams in this league and those are Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller. Both are really good players even though they aren't elite level either. Other than those two we got a guy who was in prison for 2 years and never practices, a rookie slot receiver who got pushed into the starting lineup in midseason and then two guys who are lucky to even be in the league in Turner and Riley. Rex raved about our talent in this area yet it is one of the biggest weaknesses of this team.

Forget Schotty, forget Sanchez or the OLine... we got no game changers on the outside and on top of that the whole mix is not working at all. We have no one who can blow the top off the defense or who can go deep. Nobody! The strengths of our receivers are all the same. All of them like to get YAC, work the underneath and catch short and intermediate routes. It is so easy to defend (partly of course problem of the system) and has turned into a desaster more than once already. Plax looked better recently but in the end he has been a dissapointment. We do not find him in the red zone, he has no chemistry with Sanchez, never practices and seems to have his own agenda in the end.

Like it or not but we need a) more talent at the receiver position, b) a much better mix between talents and c) another proven wide receiver who does not come out of jail.[/QUOTE]

Most of us called this before the season even started; they are just proving us right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;4248865]i dont think they are that bad. we are missing a deep threat which is hurting us.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the deep threat, but they also have no depth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is Santonio Holmes not a deep threat if one has a competent offensive coach?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248891]Jets are not drafting a receiver at the top of the draft. They paid Holmes 50 million. They have Dustin Keller and Kerley. They will find another receiver next year to replace Plax that is in the 2-5 million dollar range.[/QUOTE]

So because of Kerley u don't go draft a WR high??? Please stop! This team lacks a #1 WR. We don't have one fully complete WR on the team. There ethier tall and slow or short and quick (not fast).

Santonio Holmes while he has good speed is not a blazer, is clearly better at being a #2 than he is a #1.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not "All Pros". Just recent Super Bowl veterens. One is 6'5" and the other was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII two years ago. Then there is a pretty reliable TE in Keller.

The season has clearly taken a toll... some of you guys are losing touch with reality.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Scoop24;4248926]So because of Kerley u don't go draft a WR high??? Please stop! This team lacks a #1 WR. We don't have one fully complete WR on the team. There ethier tall and slow or short and quick (not fast).

Santonio Holmes while he has good speed is not a blazer, is clearly better at being a #2 than he is a #1.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, while i like Holmes he is not your elite #1 type receiver.....Only once in his career has he had more than 55 receptions in a season and never had double digit TDS in a season.....

His 6 TDS last year were the 2nd highest total in his career....He also had a deep threat in Edwards who is no longer there...

The idea we have this these awesome weapons on offense as some think, is a fallacy...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Scoop24;4248926]So because of Kerley u don't go draft a WR high??? Please stop!

Santonio Holmes while he has good speed is not a blazer, is clearly better at being a #2 than he is a #1.[/QUOTE]

1. Keyshawn Johnson. Nuff said.

2. I guess you didn't watch Holmes when he was in Pittsburgh. He is not only a #1, he is an elite #1. He is in purgatory with the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248949]1. Keyshawn Johnson. Nuff said.

2. I guess you didn't watch Holmes when he was in Pittsburgh. He is not only a #1, he is an elite #1. He is in purgatory with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Holmes was not a elite #1 in Pittsburgh....He was not even the #1 receiver on his own team......Not counting his rookie season when he did not play much.....

2007-2009

Holmes 186 receptions...18 TDS

Hines Ward...247 receptions... 20 TDS
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 11-23-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4248973]Holmes was not a elite #1 in Pittsburgh....He was not even the #1 receiver on his own team......Not counting his rookie season when he did not play much.....

2007-2009

Holmes 186 receptions...16 TDS

Hines Ward...247 receptions... 20 TDS[/QUOTE]

Holmes may have not had the most catches, but he was the best WR on that team. His yards per catch must have been very high. Also important to note that Pittsburgh likes to run the ball and Big Ben spreads the ball around very well.

Holmes can blow the top off ANY defense. Holmes has great hands. Holmes is a great route runner. Only thing you can't do with Holmes is throw him jump balls.