Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we even realize how terrible our receiving corps is?!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248949]1. Keyshawn Johnson. Nuff said.

2. I guess you didn't watch Holmes when he was in Pittsburgh. He is not only a #1, he is an elite #1. He is in purgatory with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Holmes is a #2 receiver. He's no stud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santonio Holmes is an elite receiver, but he's useless if your coordinator fails to design and call plays for him. Same problem with Keller. How do you think Keller disappears the second half of every year? You think that's Keller's fault? So Keller only knows how to play football during the 1st half of every year?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4248982][B]Santonio Holmes is an elite receiver[/B], but he's useless if your coordinator fails to design and call plays for him. Same problem with Keller. How do you think Keller disappears the second half of every year? You think that's Keller's fault? So Keller only knows how to play football during the 1st half of every year?[/QUOTE]

Based on what? And what is "elite", top 10?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one gets big stats in Schotty's system

We never try to exploit a matchup in our favor, Calvin Johnson would be a 65 reception 1100 yard guy in our offense, Schotty would say they were doubling him so we had to get the ball to others.....

I think the talent is there for a pretty above-average attack, Keller is extremely talented, Holmes is a proven bigtime WR, Plaxico should be a nightmare to defend with back shoulder throws and deep in routes over the middle and McNight and Kerley are more than capable slot/checkdown guys.

Put Joe McNight on the Saints and they would find a way to get the ball to him in space.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a way to solve the wide receiver problem you all know what it is....

More Matt (greatness) Mulligan.Split him out wide,use his blazing speed down the seam.Use him on reverses.

Take Plax out in the red zone..we all know Mulligan is clutch in the red zone

I feel so sorry for Pats fans they are stuck with Gronkowski...while we have Mulligan..future hall of famer

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    stop it.

i'll say it once and i'll say it until i turn blue in the face.

protect the qb and call better plays and problems are solved offensively.

i know we like to find things that we feel are hidden and complicate things, but it really is that simple.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248980]Holmes may have not had the most catches, but he was the best WR on that team. His yards per catch must have been very high. Also important to note that Pittsburgh likes to run the ball and Big Ben spreads the ball around very well.

Holmes can blow the top off ANY defense. Holmes has great hands. Holmes is a great route runner. Only thing you can't do with Holmes is throw him jump balls.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong i like Holmes but he is not an elite #1 receiver in my view.....Even his post season stats show this....

Cannot downplay his tremendous SB MVP play....9-131 GW TD.....The other 6 playoff games he has played in he has 16 catches...2.7 per game...Not elite #1 in my view....

This season he has been in purgatory as you put it.....Last season however in 12 games he put up 6 TDS...2nd best of his career and also had the 2nd best receptions per game of his career at 4.3....

Maybe the Edwards loss is a big factor in the lost productivity...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4249000]Don't get me wrong i like Holmes but he is not an elite #1 receiver in my view.....Even his post season stats show this....

Cannot downplay his tremendous SB MVP play....9-131 GW TD.....The other 6 playoff games he has played in he has 16 catches...2.7 per game...Not elite #1 in my view....

This season he has been in purgatory as you put it.....Last season however in 12 games he put up 6 TDS...2nd best of his career and also had the 2nd best receptions per game of his career at 4.3....

Maybe the Edwards loss is a big factor in the lost productivity...[/QUOTE]

You make a very good point. I just think the Jets will never witness Holmes abilities until they find a way to get him the ball. Whether it is ridding the futility of Schotty, fixing Sanchez or better Offensive line play, they need to find a way to be able to get him the ball.

Also, I do not pay much attention to his catches. The amount of catches a player gets is dependent on a lot of factors, may of which they don't control. Rather take into account what they do when they get the ball. What are his Yards Per Catch, Yards After Catch, Catches to TD ratio. I am willing to bet they are very good, also willing to bet they have gone down with the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;4248985]No one gets big stats in Schotty's system

We never try to exploit a matchup in our favor, Calvin Johnson would be a 65 reception 1100 yard guy in our offense, Schotty would say they were doubling him so we had to get the ball to others.....

I think the talent is there for a pretty above-average attack, Keller is extremely talented, Holmes is a proven bigtime WR, Plaxico should be a nightmare to defend with back shoulder throws and deep in routes over the middle and McNight and Kerley are more than capable slot/checkdown guys.

Put Joe McNight on the Saints and they would find a way to get the ball to him in space.[/QUOTE]
    Great post . This logic that we don't have weapons in our receiving corps is false. Are they "The Greatest Show on Turf" talented ? No , but they can win with the right brain coordinatoring and QB who is consistent with play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249004]You make a very good point. I just think the Jets will never witness Holmes abilities until they find a way to get him the ball. Whether it is ridding the futility of Schotty, fixing Sanchez or better Offensive line play, they need to find a way to be able to get him the ball.

Also, I do not pay much attention to his catches. The amount of catches a player gets is dependent on a lot of factors, may of which they don't control. Rather take into account what they do when they get the ball. What are his Yards Per Catch, Yards After Catch, Catches to TD ratio. I am willing to bet they are very good, also willing to bet they have gone down with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

His first 2 seasons his YPC were excellent....16.4 and 18.1.....

Has gone from 14.9 to 15.8 and last season his lowest at 14.3....this season is even worse at 13.5 which figures since we rarely throw the more than 13.5 yards in the air....:)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;4248985]No one gets big stats in Schotty's system

Put Joe McNight on the Saints and they would find a way to get the ball to him in space.[/QUOTE]

Our passing offense design must be awful.....We have enough to be much better......The match-up thing is a great point....Rarely if ever do we have a receiver put up 8-9 reception for 150+ like other teams do...

You watch a team like the Giants and you have an oaf like Ballard catching balls downfield while Keller is rarely used in the seam.....All Ballard does is run in a straight line many times and is slow but finds holes in the defense...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;4248865]i dont think they are that bad. [b]we are missing a deep threat which is hurting us.[/b][/QUOTE]

[img]http://tnjn.com/content/storyimage/2011/01/16/jets_pats_3.box.jpg[/img]

And that ain't Plax either. :P

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

im not going to even read this article...........

[QUOTE=Flaming Mo;4248860]Beside all the talk about the various responsible parties for our misery, one gets often overlooked and that is the complete lack of talent among our wide receiving corps. When we are honest we got two players who would start on most teams in this league and those are Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller. Both are really good players even though they aren't elite level either. Other than those two we got a guy who was in prison for 2 years and never practices, a rookie slot receiver who got pushed into the starting lineup in midseason and then two guys who are lucky to even be in the league in Turner and Riley. Rex raved about our talent in this area yet it is one of the biggest weaknesses of this team.

Forget Schotty, forget Sanchez or the OLine... we got no game changers on the outside and on top of that the whole mix is not working at all. We have no one who can blow the top off the defense or who can go deep. Nobody! The strengths of our receivers are all the same. All of them like to get YAC, work the underneath and catch short and intermediate routes. It is so easy to defend (partly of course problem of the system) and has turned into a desaster more than once already. Plax looked better recently but in the end he has been a dissapointment. We do not find him in the red zone, he has no chemistry with Sanchez, never practices and seems to have his own agenda in the end.

Like it or not but we need a) more talent at the receiver position, b) a much better mix between talents and c) another proven wide receiver who does not come out of jail.[/QUOTE]

it is not our recv corp, it is sanchez. lets be real here now, he is always throwing behind, way above, or to far in front of the recv. he has been doing this the last three years. he is not getting any better, i thought he was going to get poor crothery killed. and you know thats why mason isnt here anymore. you can see it on the faces of plax and holmes, look at their body language. they are doing all they can to conceal it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4249011]His first 2 seasons his YPC were excellent....16.4 and 18.1.....

Has gone from 14.9 to 15.8 and last season his lowest at 14.3....this season is even worse at 13.5 which figures since we rarely throw the more than 13.5 yards in the air....:)[/QUOTE]

I figured those number have hit the skids.

If he can get back to that 15-17 YPC range that would be great for the Jets. I don't think his skillset has diminished, I just think it is the scheme.

I agree with you guys who wanted Braylon back. But in fairness to Tanny, Braylon was not going to play for the Jets for the price his is playing for the 49ers. He was not even going to play for the Jets for the price they gave Burress. He wanted the Jets to show that they truly appreciated him. And they couldn't pay him much less than Santonio b.c that would lead to envy and constant comparison. I think they did appreciate him but he is a high risk b.c if he gets in trouble again he is going to be looking at a long suspension.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    our WRs do suck. no separation, no real big play ability. i think next season we need to keep holmes and kerley, and start over from there. get braylon back in the green and white, and draft TOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4248868][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wCv5eY144s[/url]

Look how well this kid adjusts to inaccurate throws. We need him if he falls to us[/QUOTE]

Looks like a keeper to me. :)

Of course, if we get Braylon back, he also was able to "adjust to inaccurate throws", too. :yes:

In fact, he did that A LOT. :D

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248891]Jets are not drafting a receiver at the top of the draft. They paid Holmes 50 million. They have Dustin Keller and Kerley. They will find another receiver next year to replace Plax that is in the 2-5 million dollar range.[/QUOTE]

BE (5 yr, 25 mil with an behavioral-clause in it) < ---- There's your 5 million dollar range.

(oh wait! You're not talking per year? Just another ONE-YEAR BANDAID? I hope not. We need a long-term solution)

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248949]1. Keyshawn Johnson. Nuff said.

2. I guess you didn't watch Holmes when he was in Pittsburgh. He is not only a #1, he is an elite #1. [b]He is in purgatory with the Jets.[/b][/QUOTE]

Didn't seem that way last year when Braylon was making Holmes' Job easier drawing attention away from him....

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4248918]How is Santonio Holmes not a deep threat if one has a competent offensive coach?[/QUOTE]

He's *not* a deep threat. That's the problem. :rolleyes:

He's a YAC guy.

[QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4249000]Don't get me wrong i like Holmes but he is not an elite #1 receiver in my view.....Even his post season stats show this....

Maybe the Edwards loss is a big factor in the lost productivity...[/QUOTE]

There is no "maybe's" about it. Something that's been so obvious, not even Limo Lady could ignore it(well okay she can 'cause she wants to but anyway....) :

Holmes misses Braylon's Presence on the other side of the field.

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4248991]stop it.

i'll say it once and i'll say it until i turn blue in the face.

protect the qb and call better plays and problems are solved offensively.

i know we like to find things that we feel are hidden and complicate things, but it really is that simple.[/QUOTE]

What about the plays being called last year? They were also Schitty's(and very sh-tty) yet we had success. Why?

What's different this year? Answer : Take a wild guess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Scoop24;4248926]So because of Kerley u don't go draft a WR high??? Please stop! This team lacks a #1 WR. We don't have one fully complete WR on the team. There ethier tall and slow or short and quick (not fast).

Santonio Holmes while he has good speed is not a blazer, is clearly better at being a #2 than he is a #1.[/QUOTE]

Not a blazer? Guy runs the 40 in the 4.4-4.35 range. You really dont get a whole lot faster then Holmes. He is faster then Brey. Sanchez has the weapons. I would love Sanu but I'm not worried about our WRs one bit. There is no stud WR that will magically fall in our laps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;4249036]
    BE (5 yr, 25 mil with an behavioral-clause in it) < ---- There's your 5 million dollar range.[/QUOTE]

From your keyboard to God's eyes. But we know this is never going to happen.

What people rarely mention about Edwards - and what I think might be more sorely missed than his down-the-field abilities - is his run-blocking. Edwards was a great run blocker and they Jets miss that A LOT. Holmes, Plax and Keller are not good blockers. Plax is OK at times but nowhere near as consistent as Edwards was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes and Plax were both prominent figures in SB wins. Stellar, not anymore. Definitley servicable. Maybe not enough to make a bad QB good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;4248860]Beside all the talk about the various responsible parties for our misery, one gets often overlooked and that is the complete lack of talent among our wide receiving corps. When we are honest we got two players who would start on most teams in this league and those are Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller. Both are really good players even though they aren't elite level either. Other than those two we got a guy who was in prison for 2 years and never practices, a rookie slot receiver who got pushed into the starting lineup in midseason and then two guys who are lucky to even be in the league in Turner and Riley. Rex raved about our talent in this area yet it is one of the biggest weaknesses of this team.

Forget Schotty, forget Sanchez or the OLine... we got no game changers on the outside and on top of that the whole mix is not working at all. We have no one who can blow the top off the defense or who can go deep. Nobody! The strengths of our receivers are all the same. All of them like to get YAC, work the underneath and catch short and intermediate routes. It is so easy to defend (partly of course problem of the system) and has turned into a desaster more than once already. Plax looked better recently but in the end he has been a dissapointment. We do not find him in the red zone, he has no chemistry with Sanchez, never practices and seems to have his own agenda in the end.

Like it or not but we need a) more talent at the receiver position, b) a much better mix between talents and c) another proven wide receiver who does not come out of jail.[/QUOTE]

I guess I tend to agree with you on this, but first things first. We need a QB who can deliver the ball where it needs to be. If we have that, and only when we get that, we will be able to truly evaluate the talent in our WR corp.

If our WR's were playing with Peyton Manning, they'd all be pro bowlers. Understand what I'm saying?