Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do we even realize how terrible our receiving corps is?!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4248982]Santonio Holmes is an elite receiver, but he's useless if your coordinator fails to design and call plays for him. Same problem with Keller. How do you think Keller disappears the second half of every year? You think that's Keller's fault? So Keller only knows how to play football during the 1st half of every year?[/QUOTE]

DISAGREE and see your post as an obvious excuse for SANCHEZZZZZ inaccuracy and happy feet. The fact that he takes a 3 step drop and then holds onto the ball too long while he tries to go through his progressions and then locks onto a target and throws off balance hurts the accuracy! The problem is that the OC has NOT fixed SANCHEZZZZZ flaws. That is why he must go but SANCHEZZZZ is not without blame in failing to make his receivers look better! The guy has happy feet and no pocket awareness most of the time.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 11-24-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4249187]I guess I tend to agree with you on this, but first things first. We need a QB who can deliver the ball where it needs to be. If we have that, and only when we get that, we will be able to truly evaluate the talent in our WR corp.

If our WR's were playing with Peyton Manning, they'd all be pro bowlers. Understand what I'm saying?[/QUOTE]

if our WR's were playing with a quarterback that had an offensive line, they'd all be pro bowlers. i'm trying hard not to back Sanchez, but everyone's only looking at his stats. take a look at the other things, like the fact he has ZERO time to throw a ball. all we throw are 5-10 yd slants, cause that's all the time he has to throw. peyton manning wouldn't be putting up good numbers behind the siv of an offensive line we have, not to mention a high-school calibre RT.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=heymangold;4249226]if our WR's were playing with a quarterback that had an offensive line, they'd all be pro bowlers. i'm trying hard not to back Sanchez, but everyone's only looking at his stats. take a look at the other things, like the fact he has ZERO time to throw a ball. all we throw are 5-10 yd slants, cause that's all the time he has to throw. peyton manning wouldn't be putting up good numbers behind the siv of an offensive line we have, not to mention a high-school calibre RT.[/QUOTE]

another excuse maker for Sanchez. Mark takes a 3 step drop most of the time and holds onto the ball for 8 to 9 seconds because he is slow to go through his progressions. NO OL can hold out the DEFENSE for that long of a period of time. It could be the failing of his OC and QB coach to fix his act but that is the way he was in college and was not a starter except for one year. Very talented but erratic. He simply can not carry a team without a great run game taking pressure off him. Even then he is able to throw a pick 6. He has accuracy problems and we can blame anyone you want but those are the facts.

SOLUTIONS; Not Excuses!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4249227]another excuse maker for Sanchez. Mark takes a 3 step drop most of the time and holds onto the ball for 8 to 9 seconds because he is slow to go through his progressions. NO OL can hold out the DEFENSE for that long of a period of time. It could be the failing of his OC and QB coach to fix his act but that is the way he was in college and was not a starter except for one year. Very talented but erratic. He simply can not carry a team without a great run game taking pressure off him. Even then he is able to throw a pick 6. He has accuracy problems and we can blame anyone you want but those are the facts.

SOLUTIONS; Not Excuses![/QUOTE]

8 or 9 seconds?! that's a lifetime to hold on to a ball, and not even Sanchez does that, because he's on the ground in 3. Tom Brady can sit behind his OL for maybe 6 seconds, so there's NO shot Sanchez is back there for almost 10. Count out 10 seconds, its a lifetime.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4249227]another excuse maker for Sanchez. Mark takes a 3 step drop most of the time and holds onto the ball for 8 to 9 seconds because he is slow to go through his progressions. NO OL can hold out the DEFENSE for that long of a period of time. It could be the failing of his OC and QB coach to fix his act but that is the way he was in college and was not a starter except for one year. Very talented but erratic. He simply can not carry a team without a great run game taking pressure off him. Even then he is able to throw a pick 6. He has accuracy problems and we can blame anyone you want but those are the facts.

SOLUTIONS; Not Excuses![/QUOTE]

i think a telling thing when they play replays of when sanchez scrambles is that many times, nobody is open. i think that a lot of the times when sanchez actually has time, he's sitting there, desperately waiting for someone to get open. i actually see him holding onto the ball longer this year, and i think it's b/c his wrs are worse. i also think he was playing much better when kerley was in the game. the guy was getting open and helping them move the chains. he got hurt vs. NE and didn't play vs. denver.

on a separate note, i find it interesting that in a game where sanchez completed 11 passes in a row, people still complain he has accuracy problems. his INTs are down. his completion % is up. his weapons and o-line are worse than last year. for some reason people think qbs can and should overcome most everything, that all qbs are superstars immediately if they're drafted in the top half of the first round. and let's ignore that he had concussion tests after week 1 and broke his nose in oakland. that's immaterial.

All League
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4249245]on a separate note, i find it interesting that in a game where sanchez completed 11 passes in a row, people still complain he has accuracy problems. his INTs are down. his completion % is up. his weapons and o-line are worse than last year. for some reason people think qbs can and should overcome most everything, that all qbs are superstars immediately if they're drafted in the top half of the first round. and let's ignore that he had concussion tests after week 1 and broke his nose in oakland. that's immaterial.[/QUOTE]

His interceptions are not down. Last year he threw 13 picks all season - at an average of 1 every 39 throws. This year, he has thrown 10 through 10 games at an average of 1 every 34 throws. His int rate is up from last year.

If you look at the Denver game where he had 11 straight completions, he also finished the game by going 6 for his last 19 with a pick 6. I think that is what is so frustrating about watching him play. He has stretches where he looks like a solid NFL QB and then he has stretches where he is just brutal.

I am not saying its all his fault, as has been said many times OLine, receivers, offensive game plan are all factors. But I understand those who question whether he will develop into a good NFL quarterback. At this point, I just don't know.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248891]Jets are not drafting a receiver at the top of the draft. They paid Holmes 50 million. They have Dustin Keller and Kerley. They will find another receiver next year to replace Plax that is in the 2-5 million dollar range.[/QUOTE]

Holmes not that great.
    Keller, overall and underacheiver.
    Kerley totally unproven.

If a stud wr is there and no pass rusher is there they should 100% for sure take a WR that can grow and develop with the QB. Swapping WR's every year just screws your qb.

[QUOTE=heymangold;4249226]if our WR's were playing with a quarterback that had an offensive line, they'd all be pro bowlers. i'm trying hard not to back Sanchez, but everyone's only looking at his stats. take a look at the other things, like the fact he has ZERO time to throw a ball. all we throw are 5-10 yd slants, cause that's all the time he has to throw. peyton manning wouldn't be putting up good numbers behind the siv of an offensive line we have, not to mention a high-school calibre RT.[/QUOTE]

So the two previous years where the jets had a great o-line, running game and defense he should have just lit it up right?

the whole chad/brady debate is irrelevant at tis point as if it ever was. i for one did think chad was better than brady and for the first two or so seasons, it sure looked that way. but chad was a china doll who just couldn't stay on the field and his health made it impossible for him to throw a decent deep ball.

as for the jet receivers, they may not be true deep threats but each one of them should be able outplay just about any single coverage matchup they face in the nfl. the problem is that the offense is poorly coached. sanchez isn't throwing the ball until the receiver is open and the receiver routes have them colliding or just getting in the way of each other. and where has keller been? this team is screaming for the te to catch about 5 passes per game but he disappears. and where has holmes been? he needs to be catching 5-7 balls per game and he doesn't even get that many passes thrown his way. the thing is, the defenses can't double cover everyone. someone is always open. make them pay or make some plays.

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4248879]Your post is so on point that it is SCARY!!!

For example their are tons of posters out here who for years who claimed Chad was better than Brady and wouldn't accept what their eyes were saying to them.

At the end of the day it is one thing for fans to overtstate the Jets talent level but it is another thing entirely for the Jets front office to make that same mistake which it certainly appears that they did....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it's the receivers. It's the play design. Many have said that every QB that has left Sh!tty system has done far better. The same is true for the receivers. They are poorly coached and just stop getting open as much under this system.

All League
    In my opinion, the two biggest problems with Jets wide receivers are depth and stability. They only have three serviceable wide receivers on the roster: Holmes, Plax and Kerley. Kerley goes down to injury and we are left with two. Where is the depth? Patrick Turner with 6 career catches? Eron Riley?Not much we can do at this stage for this season, but next year, we need to go 4 or 5 deep with experienced wideouts. Add to that the turnover in the position and its no surprise that there is a lack of chemistry between wide receivers and the QB.

I am not excusing Sanchez for some of the mistakes and bad decisions that he has made, but the coaches and GM need to put him in a better position to be successful.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Lithfan;4249314]In my opinion, the two biggest problems with Jets wide receivers are depth and stability. They only have three serviceable wide receivers on the roster: Holmes, Plax and Kerley. Kerley goes down to injury and we are left with two. Where is the depth? Patrick Turner with 6 career catches? Eron Riley?Not much we can do at this stage for this season, but next year, we need to go 4 or 5 deep with experienced wideouts. Add to that the turnover in the position and its no surprise that there is a lack of chemistry between wide receivers and the QB.

I am not excusing Sanchez for some of the mistakes and bad decisions that he has made, but the coaches and GM need to put him in a better position to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Unless play designs are changed. It doesn't matter who we add its going to be the same results. Too often receivers are running to the same spot , too often receivers run routes short of the marker. We need another OC and QB coach.

Whenever I watch the Giants play, I am amazed at how often the WR's on that team bail Eli out with outstanding catches. Hakeem Nick's hand eye coordination is exceptional.

Sanchez is not the most accurate QB in the world by any stretch, but you don't see our WR's bail him out very often.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4249283]So the two previous years where the jets had a great o-line, running game and defense he should have just lit it up right?[/QUOTE]

perfect response. He should have lite it up and didn't. So many have the need to make excuses for Mark. They should want to win a SB more then make excuses for sanchezzzz.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4249281]Holmes not that great.
    Keller, overall and underacheiver.
    Kerley totally unproven.

If a stud wr is there and no pass rusher is there they should 100% for sure take a WR that can grow and develop with the QB. Swapping WR's every year just screws your qb.[/QUOTE]

At the bottom of the first round there will be neither. At least ones that are "can't miss" or "ready made". Jets will have to rely on scouting and ultimately will get someone that needs to develop. Unfortunately for the Jets, they are not in a position to develop a team. They are a "win now" team.

To make matters worse, they cannot dip into FA for those positions b.c that would cost a fortune and the Jets are close to the cap and still have to allocate resources for the QB position whether it is Sanchez or someone else.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4249340]Whenever I watch the Giants play, I am amazed at how often the WR's on that team bail Eli out with outstanding catches. Hakeem Nick's hand eye coordination is exceptional.

Sanchez is not the most accurate QB in the world by any stretch, but you don't see our WR's bail him out very often.[/QUOTE]

it is hard to make a bailout type of catch when the ball is in the dirt or five feet over a guys head. With ELI the ball is near to the receiver so he can make a move on the ball. When the ball is near HOLMES et al they do make the catches ala Eli. The inaccurate passes will hurt all receivers!

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4248891]Jets are not drafting a receiver at the top of the draft. They paid Holmes 50 million. They have Dustin Keller and Kerley. They will find another receiver next year to replace Plax that is in the 2-5 million dollar range.[/QUOTE]

If the Jets are drafting outside of the top 15, the player they pick will likely fall right into that dollar range you suggest. And it gives Sanchez someone to grow with instead of hiring the next mercenary that's already grown accustomed to catching balls from some other NFL QB.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4249361]it is hard to make a bailout type of catch when the ball is in the dirt or five feet over a guys head. With ELI the ball is near to the receiver so he can make a move on the ball. When the ball is near HOLMES et al they do make the catches ala Eli. The inaccurate passes will hurt all receivers![/QUOTE]

If Eli was the Jets QB you never would have given him the chance to be a SB winner.....

Talk to me about accuracy, took Eli until his 5th season to hit 60%.....While he did throw alot of TDS, he also threw 17-20 INT alot too...77 TDS...64 INT....How long would you have put up with those #'s..?

First 4 years 987-1805 for 54.7% comp rate.....His YPA during those 4 years was a putrid 6.2.....Both are worse than Sanchez so far.....This was a kid said to be born to be a QB, from great QB stock....4 years of college experience...

Look at Eli's first couple of playoff games and see how he did, not very well....
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 11-24-2011 at 11:35 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4249340]Whenever I watch the Giants play, I am amazed at how often the WR's on that team bail Eli out with outstanding catches. Hakeem Nick's hand eye coordination is exceptional.

Sanchez is not the most accurate QB in the world by any stretch, but you don't see our WR's bail him out very often.[/QUOTE]

Coughlin was a WR coach at one point under Parcells. It's no wonder they always seem to find talented WR's and TE's every year.

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4249360]At the bottom of the first round there will be neither. At least ones that are "can't miss" or "ready made". Jets will have to rely on scouting and ultimately will get someone that needs to develop. Unfortunately for the Jets, they are not in a position to develop a team. They are a "win now" team.

To make matters worse, they cannot dip into FA for those positions b.c that would cost a fortune and the Jets are close to the cap and still have to allocate resources for the QB position whether it is Sanchez or someone else.[/QUOTE]

Hate to break it to you but we're not finishing at the bottom of round one. At this point in time we'll be the middle of round 1.

And the Jets pick on Best player available. We had Cro And Revis and we still picked Wilson. Everyone ran around like a chicken with their heads cut off because Jerry Hughs and Sergio Kindle were still available. Look how that panned out.

There are no late to middle round OLBs in this draft class. Upshaw is a decent prospect but he also plays on one of the most talented defenses in the NCAA. It's not exactly a bad thing but Upshaw would need to absolutely dominate which by game film you'll see he really hasn't and he really doesn't have the explosive skill that can take over a game.

You draft best player available. Period