Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanksgiving What are you drinking?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4250099]Johnny Red in a glass. No pretense, just booze.[/QUOTE]

You are starting to sound like Paulie more and more each day.

:thumbup:

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4250095]Yup, started with Woodford, moved on to the 2011 Beaujolais Nouveau (just ok) with appetizers and switched to a really nice 2008 Pinot Noir from the Finger Lakes Region of NY for dinner and afterward--delicious.

_[/QUOTE]

To keep with tradition, we drank some of the Duboeuf Beaujolais yesterday. Not bad this year.

As for the Pinot Noir: Maybe because I was spoiled by living on the West Coast, and traveling through Washington State and Oregon, but I just can't get into the Finger Lakes varietals. They always seem to leave that "concord grape" after taste.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4250712]To keep with tradition, we drank some of the Duboeuf Beaujolais yesterday. Not bad this year.

As for the Pinot Noir: Maybe because I was spoiled by living on the West Coast, and traveling through Washington State and Oregon, but I just can't get into the Finger Lakes varietals. They always seem to leave that "concord grape" after taste.[/QUOTE]

I've been drinking mostly Pinot's from the Russian River and Sonoma, but my buddy's father lives up near Elmira, and a he brought some really great Pinot's from a friend that owns a vineyard in the Finger Lakes. Haven't had many upstate NY wines since I went Syracuse because I remember them being very concord grapy. These were not, was very pleasantly surprised.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4250843]I've been drinking mostly Pinot's from the Russian River and Sonoma, but my buddy's father lives up near Elmira, and a he brought some really great Pinot's from a friend that owns a vineyard in the Finger Lakes. Haven't had many upstate NY wines since I went Syracuse because I remember them being very concord grapy. These were not, was very pleasantly surprised.

_[/QUOTE]

Good to hear that the Finger lakes vintners are doing a better job.

I brought a few bottles of that Barefoot sparkling wine for the Thanksgiving apéritif. Everyone really enjoyed it. It's sec, not brut, with notes of strawberry. But for an inexpensive festive sparkler, you can't go wrong. Also enjoy their "Pinot Grigio Champagne". Both wines are about $8.

BTW, you should smell my house right now. Making a stock from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4250878]Good to hear that the Finger lakes vintners are doing a better job.

I brought a few bottles of that Barefoot sparkling wine for the Thanksgiving apéritif. Everyone really enjoyed it. It's sec, not brut, with notes of strawberry. But for an inexpensive festive sparkler, you can't go wrong. Also enjoy their "Pinot Grigio Champagne". Both wines are about $8.

BTW, you should smell my house right now. Making a stock from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass.[/QUOTE]

I've never had a good American red wine from east of California, but I'd imagine if there was one it would be a light one such as Pinot.

If I was going to get a New York State wine, I'd go for a really dry white.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;4250911]I've never had a good American red wine from east of California, but I'd imagine if there was one it would be a light one such as Pinot.

[B]If I was going to get a New York State wine, I'd go for a really dry white.[/B][/QUOTE]

I've tried many, and no matter how well they're made, I still can taste the "concord".

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4250843]I've been drinking mostly Pinot's from the Russian River and Sonoma, but my buddy's father lives up near Elmira, and a he brought some really great Pinot's from a friend that owns a vineyard in the Finger Lakes. Haven't had many upstate NY wines since I went Syracuse because I remember them being very concord grapy. These were not, was very pleasantly surprised.

_[/QUOTE]

I went wine tasting with the wife up there a few years ago. At one place the vintner told me that their reds are made with grapes from the east end of LI. He conceded that they can't produce good grapes for reds because of the climate. That said their rieslings, which are produced with grapes that are grown locally, are quite good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and BTW I spent my Thanksgiving drinking homemade pumpkin ale, and the occasional Saranac Pale Ale.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

_[/QUOTE]

you ****ing nerd.

nobody that goes to school in upstate NY goes on wine tours to actually "taste" the wine :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4251333]I went wine tasting with the wife up there a few years ago. At one place the vintner told me that their reds are made with grapes from the east end of LI. He conceded that they can't produce good grapes for reds because of the climate. That said their rieslings, which are produced with grapes that are grown locally, are quite good.[/QUOTE]

Apparently this guy has some old vines and he has excellent earth for Pinot's. He wins a bunch of awards. Was really smooth.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4251348]you ****ing nerd.

nobody that goes to school in upstate NY goes on wine tours to actually "taste" the wine :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Are you crazy? We didn't "taste", we guzzled.

Almost free booze (in any form) for college kids?

Better than the gasoline had been theretofore drinking :D

_