Thread: Mitt Romney Ad Misquotes President Obama

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitt Romney Ad Misquotes President Obama

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-ad-misquotes-president-obama-215050884.html"]news.yahoo.com/[/URL]

Wow.

[QUOTE]

ABC’s Z. Byron Wolf and Emily Friedman report:

Mitt Romney’s inaugural TV ad of the 2012 campaign aired today in New Hampshire just as President Obama traveled to the state, but the ad immediately came under fire from Democrats and fact-checkers for incorrectly quoting Obama.

The White House, the Democratic National Committee and Obama’s re-election campaign accused the Romney campaign today of unfairly twisting the president’s words.

Politifact , which monitors the accuracy of campaign statements, gave Romney’s ad a “Pants on fire” rating.

The Romney video uses footage from Obama’s trip to New Hampshire in 2008. In the ad, text rolls over the screen reading, “On October 16, 2008, Barack Obama visited New Hampshire. He promised he would fix the economy. He failed.”

As video footage shows vacated business and foreclosed homes, Obama can be heard saying, “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.”

But the ad does not make clear that in the speech Obama was actually quoting an aide to his Republican opponent at the time, Sen. John McCain.

The Romney campaign did not deny that it took the president’s words out of context and even provided Obama’s full quote in a press release accompanying the ad: “Senator McCain’s campaign actually said, and I quote, if we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.”

It’s a reference to an anonymous quote by a McCain adviser that appeared in an Oct. 2008 New York Daily News article.

“Now, the tables have turned – President Obama and his campaign are doing exactly what candidate Obama criticized,” the Romney campaign said in a statement. “President Obama and his team don’t want to talk about the economy and have tried to distract voters from his abysmal economic record.”

Democrats pounced on the ad as misleading.

“I mean, what — seriously? I mean, an ad in which they deliberately distort what the president said? I mean, it’s a rather remarkable way to start, and an unfortunate way to start,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters during the trip up to New Hampshire.

Romney’s campaign spent less than $150,000 to run the ad in media markets in New Hampshire, but it has already gotten a far wider airing on cable news and on the Internet.

ABC News’ Michael Falcone contributed reporting.

[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2011/11/24/romney-defends-ad-using-obama-quoting-mccain.html"]dispatch.com[/URL]

[QUOTE]

DES MOINES, Iowa — Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is defending a TV ad that quotes President Barack Obama out of context, signaling that he’s ready for bare-knuckled campaigning despite sharp complaints from Democrats and some neutral observers.

Romney said while campaigning in Iowa yesterday that the ad is fair game. The position underscores how the former Massachusetts governor, stressing his decades in the private sector, intends to confront the president if Romney is the GOP nominee.

The ad, which began airing in New Hampshire on Tuesday, uses audio of then-Sen. Obama campaigning in the state in 2008, saying: “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.”

The ad omits any acknowledgement that Obama was quoting the campaign of his opponent, 2008 GOP nominee Sen. John McCain. Instead, the ad leaves the impression that it is Obama who does not want to discuss the economy.

Romney said in Des Moines that his campaign distributed the ad with a news release noting that the words originally were from Obama’s opponent.

“There was no hidden effort on the part of our campaign. It was instead to point out that what’s sauce for the goose is now sauce for the gander,” Romney said, after addressing more than 300 employees of a downtown insurance company. “This ad points out, now, guess what, it’s your turn. The same lines used on John McCain are now going to be used on you, which is that this economy is going to be your albatross.”

Democrats roundly criticized the ad as misleading.

PolitiFact, a nonpartisan campaign watchdog, referred to the ad’s use of

Obama’s past comment as “ridiculously misleading.”

[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4250495][URL="http://news.yahoo.com/mitt-romney-ad-misquotes-president-obama-215050884.html"]news.yahoo.com/[/URL]

Wow.[/QUOTE]

"Wow"?

I love the phony naiveity, and the contrived outrage, when it comes to defending Obama. "He did... what?? In a PRESIDENTIAL campaign? Has he no class?!"

Just wait until Axelrod starts planting stories about killer Mormon cults when we're 100 days out in 2012. :rolleyes:

This isn't surprising or outrageous, it's just sloppy and a bit desperate. I hope Mitt's team tries harder.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4250498]"Wow"?

I love the phony naiveity, and the contrived outrage, when it comes to defending Obama. "He did... what?? In a PRESIDENTIAL campaign? Has he no class?!"

Just wait until Axelrod starts planting stories about killer Mormon cults when we're 100 days out in 2012. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Dude,

Really?

Pre-emptive nastiness is a valid justification?

Most people feel Romney would win if the election were today. But he went nasty first. Seems like bad strategy to me. Nasty is for the guy in second place in the polls.

And yes now the "Mormons have a long history of sketchy morals and ethics when it comes to non-Mormon" whisper campaign can begin and with a brand new piece of anecdotal evidence. Good move handing ammunition to your rivals.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Topic Title is factually incorrect and should be Edited by Moderation.

Obama was not "misquoted", he did in fact say those words.

His quote was simply not given any context, which is a different issue, and a common one in Political Ad'making. Should we review every Obama ad from 2008, to see if HE gace full context to all the quotes he might have used?;)

Obama's choice to quote verbally an unverified anonymous source supposed to have been in the McCain camp was his choice. A choice that can now be used against him, as it turns out.

Be assured if Mitt Romney had said "I love Nazi's" with a full quote of "I love Nazi's in movies, they make great bad guys to fight and defeat, GO FREEDOM!", there is no doubt in my mind the "I love Nazi's" quote would have been used out of context as well. If not by Obama, then by his allies.

TLDR: Welcome to Politics. Where liars lie, and people lap it up like tripe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Jimmy Kimmel played a bad song.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4250586]Topic Title is factually incorrect and should be Edited by Moderation.

[/QUOTE]

That is the title of the article from ABC and Yahoo news

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4250820]That is the title of the article from ABC and Yahoo news[/QUOTE]

Shocking, that they too would use incorrect terminology.;)

I'm curious Buster, does Obama using an alleged, anonymous quote, also out of context it should be noted, better or worse than Romney doing it?

Or does the fact the paper says someone said it (because a paper would never make up a quote or source, right?) make it better than Obama actually saying the words attributed to him?

In point of fact, while out of context, Obama did say those words. There is no proof of ANY kind for us to look at that the alleged quote of the McCain camp was ever actully spoken by anyone, context or not.

Judge for yourself which is worse.

Personally, I think they're both standard issue politcal liars, and that righties will love Romney for it, and lefties will decry him. Then when Obama does the same thing this election (and he will, they all do), the righties will decry it, and the lefties will bemoan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warfish do you think PaulieC can use his moderation powers to edit the Yahoo website in order to quell your righteous indignation ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it more telling that the media is out in full force defending Obama against any and all attacks by Republicans. There is hours of footage about Obama running around touting green jobs as the future of the economy. 3 years and 50 billion dollars later there are no new green jobs to speak of. That should be the story in the papers. Where are these "newspapers" on Solyndra? Why arent they talking about the fact that virtually every company that got the loan guarantees bundled money to Obama?

Speaking of bundling money how is this crap even legal. Here is some truth for the masses. OWS folks listen up! Business men dont pay money to political campaigns because they love republicans or democrats. They do it to buy influence. Every bundled donation is a invitation for corruption. This is a 100% truth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4250865]I find it more telling that the media is out in full force defending Obama against any and all attacks by Republicans. There is hours of footage about Obama running around touting green jobs as the future of the economy. 3 years and 50 billion dollars later there are no new green jobs to speak of. That should be the story in the papers. Where are these "newspapers" on Solyndra? Why arent they talking about the fact that virtually every company that got the loan guarantees bundled money to Obama?

Speaking of bundling money how is this crap even legal. Here is some truth for the masses. OWS folks listen up! Business men dont pay money to political campaigns because they love republicans or democrats. They do it to buy influence. Every bundled donation is a invitation for corruption. This is a 100% truth.[/QUOTE]

What does this have to do with thread?
    Was it wrong (or dumb) of Romney to quote Obama quoting someone else?
    Yes or no.

PS

[QUOTE]
    In 2010, the U.S. installed 887 megawatts1 (MW)
    of grid-connected photovoltaics (PV), representing
    104% growth over the 435 MW installed in
    [/QUOTE]

Someone must be getting paid to install all of those chinese panels.

[URL="http://www.seia.org/galleries/pdf/SMI-Q1-2011-ES.pdf"]http://www.seia.org/galleries/pdf/SMI-Q1-2011-ES.pdf[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4250865]They do it to buy influence...[/QUOTE]

No they don't.

Corruption is the fault of the common voter. We suck.