Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been a jet for over 39 years now

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a jet for over 39 years now

I've been fraustrated before but never like this, why am I so con-tank-arous, boistarous and ready to cuss everybody out? could it be past seasons failures
    are catching up to my emotions. or am I making it out to be something its not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. You're right. Schotty sux.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised you are "allowed" to be cantankerous around here

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TechJet;4250573]I've been fraustrated before but never like this, why am I so con-tank-arous, boistarous and ready to cuss everybody out? could it be past seasons failures
    are catching up to my emotions. or am I making it out to be something its not.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I need to remind us of the roller coaster we've been on non-stop since 1994, do I?

1994 Jets are 6-5, ready to dethrone Dan Marino. Fake spike, end season 0-5.
    1995 Jets go 3-13. We sign free agents. It can't get worse!
    1996 Jets go 1-15.
    1997 Jets get Bill Parcells! Blow wildcard on halfback option, season over.
    1998 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! Blow halftime lead, season over.
    1999 Jets favored to win it all! Testaverde achilles, season over.
    2000 Jets open the year 6-1! First team to miss NFL playoffs after 6-1 start.
    2001 Jets make playoffs on miracle FG at Oakland. Lose rematch 6 days later.
    2002 Jets find QB of The Future! AFC East Champions! Disaster at Oakland, again.
    2003 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2004 Jets QB of The Future isn't hurt. Chokes in Divisional Round to Steelers.
    2005 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2006 Jets QB of The Future isn't hurt. Chokes in Wildcard Round to Patriots.
    2007 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2008 Jets open the year 8-3! Favre is the man! First team to miss NFL playoffs after 8-3 start.
    2009 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! Blow halftime lead, season over.
    2010 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! This is it! Don't get off bus, season over.

That's 17 years of NFL hell. That's 14 straight season of knowing you have the talent to get to the Super Bowl and finding incredible ways to f*ck it up every single time.

So we're forgiven if the latest version of "THIS is the year!" saw its wheels come off after we felt great about the annual home crushing of the Patriots and the easy road win at the pathetic Tebow's. We're punch-drunk. It's been pure torture.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 11-26-2011 at 09:33 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's only a game :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250587]I don't think I need to remind us of the roller coaster we've been on non-stop since 1994, do I?

1996 Jets go 1-15.
    2002 Jets find QB of The Future! AFC East Champions! Disaster at Oakland, again.
    2008 Jets open the year 8-3! Favre is the man! First team to miss NFL playoffs after 8-3 start.
    2010 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! This is it! Don't get off bus, season over.

That's 17 years of NFL hell. That's 14 straight season of knowing you have the talent to get to the Super Bowl and finding incredible ways to f*ck it up every single time.

So we're forgiven if the latest version of "THIS is the year!" saw its wheels come off after we felt great about the annual home crushing of the Patriots and the easy road win at the pathetic Tebow's. We're punch-drunk. It's been pure torture.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

lol i just cried a little...you ****head :)

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250587]I don't think I need to remind us of the roller coaster we've been on non-stop since 1994, do I?

1996 Jets go 1-15.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I got on this roller coaster at birth in '63 (thanks Dad!) and suffered through some miserable seasons through the 70's as many of you other older guys can remember. This post got me thinking. As a kid I used to think when we stunk I would just be happy with a team that would at least compete for a championship or at least the playoffs to make the season fun to watch. But now I'm not sure which is worse. This really sucks watching a team with talent get close and lose. It's funny at the start of every year my wife tells me when I start with the Super Bowl talk "I don't know why you do this to yourself every year". It will never change but she may be on to something. Oh, and don't forget the 10-1 start in '86.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4250593]lol i just cried a little...you ****head[/QUOTE]

I know, I hate posting that because I've put that up since 2005 and every time I unearth it I have to type in, yet again, another failed season.

It's important that we remember that list. Since 1994 I'd argue we're the most tortured fanbase in any major sport.

Every time someone starts a thread like "you fans suck you don't cheer loudly enough at the games!" I have to remind myself that most fans don't go back that far, don't understand how this is the "golden era" of Jets football and we don't have anything to show for it.

Name a fan of another major league team that's been close for 17 years and didn't get there. Cubs? Nope. Braves? They won one. Ravens? They got one. Jets are in a league of their own. It's okay for their fans to be pissy.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1996 Jets go 1-15.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

That was tough reading, thank a lot. At least you didn't go all the way back to 1970.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have been a jet fan for a significant amount of time and you were surprised and disraught after the bronco game, then shame on you. If you havent learned that this team will let you down, then you are a fool.

The bronco game had no effect on me. I found myself rooting for tebow. It was the like the russian crowd in rocky 4. I turned on my team. Why? Cause i knew what was coming. And i was right.

so instead oF being pissed, i was happy for tebow. What time are the broncs playing tomorrow?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250587]
    That's 17 years of NFL hell.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Try goin back to 71 as a season ticket holder if you think the 90's to now have been hell' You haven't been thru hell unless you attended that decade of the 70's in Shea no less.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TechJet;4250573]I've been fraustrated before but never like this, why am I so con-tank-arous, boistarous and ready to cuss everybody out? could it be past seasons failures
    are catching up to my emotions. or am I making it out to be something its not.[/QUOTE]

As our expectations for this team have increased, so, too has the level of frustration when those expectations are not met.

After 2 straight playoff runs, we expected this team to have established itself as a contender. Sitting 5-5 right now, they are a lot closer to mediocrity than contention.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been a Jets Fan almost as long. Growing up on Long Island, my Dad used to take us to Hofstra University to watch them practice. Even tho they sucked a large part of my childhood, my Dad used to tell us of the Super Bowl they won and how Namath famously predicted a win. Bold statement.

I think the frustration you are feeling may be because Rex Ryan has taken us closer the last two years than we have been since then. He has been bold and brash and has excited his team and us fans. We believe again.

So the last two games, or the thought that we MIGHT not make the playoffs is frustrating. Yes....

But heres the thing...we are very much in the hunt still. I have already shaken off the two losses, and excitedly await the Bills game. I truly feel the Jets will be ready.

Unlike some on this board, I refuse to throw in the towel when we are still very much alive. I refuse to talk about how the season is over and ask questions about who we should get rid of in off season.

No way! THIS season is still happening, and the playoffs are still a very real possibility.

So yeah, the last two losses sucked....but i am not gonna allow myself to be frustrated. Not now. 6 games left baby. One at a time.

If you recall, Rex Ryan himself thought the Jets were mathematically out of it the other year, and said so until he was corrected. Since then, Rex has been very BOLD....much like Namath was back in the day.

I don't know about you, but I will take BOLD over defeatest or frustrated ANY day.

GO JETS! :-)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250625]I know, I hate posting that because I've put that up since 2005 and every time I unearth it I have to type in, yet again, another failed season.

It's important that we remember that list. Since 1994 I'd argue we're the most tortured fanbase in any major sport.

Every time someone starts a thread like "you fans suck you don't cheer loudly enough at the games!" I have to remind myself that most fans don't go back that far, don't understand how this is the "golden era" of Jets football and we don't have anything to show for it.

Name a fan of another major league team that's been close for 17 years and didn't get there. Cubs? Nope. Braves? They won one. Ravens? They got one. Jets are in a league of their own. It's okay for their fans to be pissy.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    Eagles

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got back to 78 as a Jets fan. A friend took me to a Jets game at Shea and I was hooked. We walked to Shea to see the game. The Jets won and that started the roller coaster. I didn't think anything was worse than the Mud Bowl but little did I know more was to come. Every time I think they won't do it to me again BAM. From the five picks in the AFCCG to starting the season 10-1 and losing every game after that to ruffing the passer second chance to the Doug Brian missing a FG to the fumbles and picks in the AFCCG to the two straight defensive collapses in the last 2 AFCCG. We as Jets fans cannot EVER talk smack to anybody because the team we talk smack about will beat us in the game. Time and time again I have to listen to other fans, "the football experts", ex players of other teams, and current teams disrespect the Jets all the time. Hell even the Red Sox got off the crapper. The Cubs haven't really been close until recently. In a few of the playoff games the Jets lost they have actually been the better team. What the hell is wrong with this franchise!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250625]It's important that we remember that list. Since [B]1994[/B] I'd argue we're the most tortured fanbase in any major sport. [/QUOTE]

Not that I disagree with you, but I'm not sure why you start with 1994. My personal hell began well before Pete Carroll was HC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wepnx;4250942]I got back to 78 as a Jets fan. A friend took me to a Jets game at Shea and I was hooked. We walked to Shea to see the game. The Jets won and that started the roller coaster. I didn't think anything was worse than the Mud Bowl but little did I know more was to come. Every time I think they won't do it to me again BAM. From the five picks in the AFCCG to starting the season 10-1 and losing every game after that to ruffing the passer second chance to the Doug Brian missing a FG to the fumbles and picks in the AFCCG to the two straight defensive collapses in the last 2 AFCCG. We as Jets fans cannot EVER talk smack to anybody because the team we talk smack about will beat us in the game. Time and time again I have to listen to other fans, "the football experts", ex players of other teams, and current teams disrespect the Jets all the time. Hell even the Red Sox got off the crapper. The Cubs haven't really been close until recently. In a few of the playoff games the Jets lost they have actually been the better team. What the hell is wrong with this franchise![/QUOTE]

me too brother..me too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250625]I know, I hate posting that because I've put that up since 2005 and every time I unearth it I have to type in, yet again, another failed season.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Bengals and Bills have had more. Bills were humiliated 4 times in the SB. We have won more SBs than the Bills, Bengals, Vikings, Texans, Browns, Seahawks, Chargers, Eagles, Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers, Titans/Oilers and Lions.

Just because our win occured 40 years ago doesnt mean that it is worth any less.

So, by your standards, New Orleans SB win in 2008 means more than the Jets SB win in 1968.

If you think this, you are stupid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4251035]Bengals and Bills have had more. Bills were humiliated 4 times in the SB. We have won more SBs than the Bills, Bengals, Vikings, Texans, Browns, Seahawks, Chargers, Eagles, Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers, Titans/Oilers and Lions.

Just because our win occured 40 years ago doesnt mean that it is worth any less.

So, by your standards, New Orleans SB win in 2008 means more than the Jets SB win in 1968.

If you think this, you are stupid.[/QUOTE]

Then I'm stupid too.....40 years ago is a lot different than 2008. BTW calling posters stupid and in another thread a liar? WTF?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenmeanie;4250937]I have been a Jets Fan almost as long. Growing up on Long Island, my Dad used to take us to Hofstra University to watch them practice. Even tho they sucked a large part of my childhood, my Dad used to tell us of the Super Bowl they won and how Namath famously predicted a win. Bold statement.

I think the frustration you are feeling may be because Rex Ryan has taken us closer the last two years than we have been since then. He has been bold and brash and has excited his team and us fans. We believe again.

So the last two games, or the thought that we MIGHT not make the playoffs is frustrating. Yes....

But heres the thing...we are very much in the hunt still. I have already shaken off the two losses, and excitedly await the Bills game. I truly feel the Jets will be ready.

Unlike some on this board, I refuse to throw in the towel when we are still very much alive. I refuse to talk about how the season is over and ask questions about who we should get rid of in off season.

No way! THIS season is still happening, and the playoffs are still a very real possibility.

So yeah, the last two losses sucked....but i am not gonna allow myself to be frustrated. Not now. 6 games left baby. One at a time.

If you recall, Rex Ryan himself thought the Jets were mathematically out of it the other year, and said so until he was corrected. Since then, Rex has been very BOLD....much like Namath was back in the day.

I don't know about you, but I will take BOLD over defeatest or frustrated ANY day.

GO JETS! :-)[/QUOTE]

Even if we do make the playoffs it's just going to end in disappointment anyways because we have a defensive coordinator as our coach and our offensive coordinator wouldn't cut it as a high school QB coach. Even if we win 5 out of the next 6, we aren't going to do crap in the playoffs. Our defense isn't as good as the last two seasons and our offense hasn't been good for a decade.