Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been a jet for over 39 years now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4251038]Then I'm stupid too.....40 years ago is a lot different than 2008. BTW calling posters stupid and in another thread a liar? WTF?[/QUOTE]

Because you ARE being ridiculous. A Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, no matter when it happens. Does our SB not count because it occured 40 years ago? Do the Kansas City Chiefs not count their only SB title because it occured 39 years ago?

C'MON MAN!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4251051]Because you ARE being ridiculous. A Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, no matter when it happens. Does our SB not count because it occured 40 years ago? Do the Kansas City Chiefs not count their only SB title because it occured 39 years ago?

C'MON MAN![/QUOTE]

I agree that a Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, but since the Jets only title was over 40 years ago, there is a lot of this fan base that has never seen their team play in a Super Bowl.

I am old enough to remember SBIII - but does it mean as much to younger fans who either were not around yet or too young to remember it.

I would be curious to get their perspective.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lithfan;4251065]I agree that a Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, but since the Jets only title was over 40 years ago, there is a lot of this fan base that has never seen their team play in a Super Bowl.

I am old enough to remember SBIII - but does it mean as much to younger fans who either were not around yet or too young to remember it.

I would be curious to get their perspective.[/QUOTE]

It sucks. Started really really following the Jets in 2004 (I am 23). I think what makes it worse was watching the hated Pats reach/win the SB so many times in this time frame (albeit have never won one since the cameras started rolling... still sucked to watch them do it though). I occasionally remind myself that at least we won one, but not being able to experience it makes it feel like we have zero most of the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lithfan;4251065]I agree that a Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, but since the Jets only title was over 40 years ago, there is a lot of this fan base that has never seen their team play in a Super Bowl.

[B]I am old enough to remember SBIII - but does it mean as much to younger fans who either were not around yet or too young to remember it.[/B]
    I would be curious to get their perspective.[/QUOTE]

Do the Bills fans,or the Eagle Fans,Browns fans or any other Franchise that have never won 1 bowl cry as much as Jets fans?? :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250587]
    That's 14 straight season of knowing you have the talent to get to the Super Bowl and finding incredible ways to f*ck it up every single time.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Oh, but you forgot about our 6-2 start in '84 only to abandon the QB who gave us that record and go 1-7 the rest of the way!

You forgot about the back to back 8-8 records in '78 and '79 with the #1 running game in the NFL.

You forgot about being picked to go to the SB by Jimmy "The Greek" in '80 only to finish 4-12 AGAIN with the #1 running offense in the league + "The Sack Exchange".

You forgot about spotting the Bills 24 points in the '81 playoffs only to come back and lose the game on the last play. of course in '81 we made the playoffs for the first time in 13 years while the Giants made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

THE MUD BOWL (was there any doubt we could beat the redskins that year?)

Starting 10-1, then, going 0-5, then Gastineau roughing Bernie Kosar FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE PLAY WAS OVER.

Going 6-3 and having Gastineau leave the team for his girlfriend Brigitte in '88.

Our QB of the future Browning Nagel (of course we let the Falcons draft favre one pick ahead of us!) has 400+ yards passing in his first game and is BENCHED 3 games later.

:steamin::steamin::steamin::steamin::steamin:
    Last edited by Schroy48; 11-26-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TechJet;4250573]I've been a jet for over 39 years now[/QUOTE]

Wow, that might be a record for an NFL career, and for only 1 team too?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread reminds me of something I heard in school years ago about what really drives masses of people crazy, fundamentally, it's giving them feelings of hope and then pulling it away.

In a small way, I feel like this principle applies to the Jets and their loyal fans. The difference (at least the last few years) between us and the Lions, Chiefs, Bills,and Browns of the world is that we've seen it, we've been so close, we could smell it and taste it and then before you know it, the dream gets pulled away like some kind of sick joke.

[B]"It is not actual suffering but the taste of better things which excites people to revolt."[/B]

-Eric Hoffer July 25, 1902 May 21, 1983

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TechJet;4250573]I've been fraustrated before but never like this, why am I so con-tank-arous, boistarous and ready to cuss everybody out? could it be past seasons failures
    are catching up to my emotions. or am I making it out to be something its not.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I started rooting for this team in 1960 as a kid. I now have come to the realization that I will never see this team in another SB, let alone win one in the years I have left.
    With my luck I will probably be in an ICU not knowing anyone, gasping for breath and they will have just won their second SB and my children will be saying they won and I won't even know what the hell they are talking about. Oh, well it has been a great ride.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsMike;4250941]Eagles[/QUOTE]

Eagles fans are tortured, but they did [I]make [/I]it to a Super Bowl during their 5 year run. They got the 2 weeks of glee, got the excitement of being in the Big Game, won a Conference Championship. Surely they're not delighted, but they did at least get to the Super Bowl. We're 0-4 in AFC Championship Games, all coming within one lifetime.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4250984]Not that I disagree with you, but I'm not sure why you start with 1994. My personal hell began well before Pete Carroll was HC.[/QUOTE]

Started in '94 because that's when the changes occurred that led to this current 'golden age' of Jets football.

Twas the agony of '94, '95, and '96 that led to Leon Hess getting ornery and swiping Bill Parcells away from the Patriots.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4251035]Bengals and Bills have had more. Bills were humiliated 4 times in the SB. We have won more SBs than the Bills, Bengals, Vikings, Texans, Browns, Seahawks, Chargers, Eagles, Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers, Titans/Oilers and Lions.

Just because our win occured 40 years ago doesnt mean that it is worth any less.

So, by your standards, New Orleans SB win in 2008 means more than the Jets SB win in 1968.

If you think this, you are stupid.[/QUOTE]

The Jets have been legitimate playoff contenders each season since 1997. Those other teams you've mentioned have had their 'spurts' but none have been as consistently good as the Jets have the last 15 seasons. If you were a (name goes here) fan, you didn't think you had a shot at a Super Bowl the past 15 years. The Browns and Texans didn't even exist for most of our 'run'. The Eagles are the only team that makes your case, but they at least got to a Super Bowl, got to experience it once.

The point of "Jets torture" revolves around how consistently competitive we've been these past 15 consecutive years. No other NFL team can claim that agony.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to beat a dead horse but also the way in which the Jets lose also makes it a killer. It's always a turnover or a bone headed mistake. The one time we got a markee coach he gave up after seeing how snake bitten this organization is (at least it seems that way). Often the Jets cannot get the big name coach to come here (ie Bill Cower, Shanahan turned the Jets down). As superstitious as athletes are you know this teams luck failing them in big moments might also factor in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4251051]Because you ARE being ridiculous. A Super Bowl title is a Super Bowl title, no matter when it happens. Does our SB not count because it occured 40 years ago? Do the Kansas City Chiefs not count their only SB title because it occured 39 years ago?

C'MON MAN![/QUOTE]

OK...so in your theory everyone who disagrees with you is a STUPID, LIAR and the CUBS world championship from 1908 is as legit as any world series win:rolleyes:

OK...... what time are you on sports center oh great one.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Schroy48;4251103]Oh, but you forgot about our 6-2 start in '84 only to abandon the QB who gave us that record and go 1-7 the rest of the way!

You forgot about the back to back 8-8 records in '78 and '79 with the #1 running game in the NFL.

You forgot about being picked to go to the SB by Jimmy "The Greek" in '80 only to finish 4-12 AGAIN with the #1 running offense in the league + "The Sack Exchange".

You forgot about spotting the Bills 24 points in the '81 playoffs only to come back and lose the game on the last play. of course in '81 we made the playoffs for the first time in 13 years while the Giants made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.

THE MUD BOWL (was there any doubt we could beat the redskins that year?)

Starting 10-1, then, going 0-5, then Gastineau roughing Bernie Kosar FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE PLAY WAS OVER.

Going 6-3 and having Gastineau leave the team for his girlfriend Brigitte in '88.

Our QB of the future Browning Nagel (of course we let the Falcons draft favre one pick ahead of us!) has 400+ yards passing in his first game and is BENCHED 3 games later.

:steamin::steamin::steamin::steamin::steamin:[/QUOTE]

He didn't forget...he simply gave us the "abridged version".

WOW..you certainly brought up some bad memories.:steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a kid, I recall the mud bowl and cheating Don Shula for not covering the field. Jets were steaming roll thru the playoffs.

1985 home playoff loss to NE.

1886 Div. round at Clev. Enough said.

While 1998, 2004, 2009 and last season were frustrating becasue those teams had a legit shot to make it to the SB and possibily win it, I would not say the joy of the overall season equates to the disasters of 1995, 1996, or 2007. To win it you have to be in it. It just didn;t work out for us those years. But the Jets are headed in the right direction as a franchise. Our time will come and when we win, it will make these aformentioned frustrations even sweeter. Just ask fans of the NO Saints.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4250587]I don't think I need to remind us of the roller coaster we've been on non-stop since 1994, do I?

1994 Jets are 6-5, ready to dethrone Dan Marino. Fake spike, end season 0-5.
    1995 Jets go 3-13. We sign free agents. It can't get worse!
    1996 Jets go 1-15.
    1997 Jets get Bill Parcells! Blow wildcard on halfback option, season over.
    1998 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! Blow halftime lead, season over.
    1999 Jets favored to win it all! Testaverde achilles, season over.
    2000 Jets open the year 6-1! First team to miss NFL playoffs after 6-1 start.
    2001 Jets make playoffs on miracle FG at Oakland. Lose rematch 6 days later.
    2002 Jets find QB of The Future! AFC East Champions! Disaster at Oakland, again.
    2003 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2004 Jets QB of The Future isn't hurt. Chokes in Divisional Round to Steelers.
    2005 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2006 Jets QB of The Future isn't hurt. Chokes in Wildcard Round to Patriots.
    2007 Jets QB of The Future is hurt. Season over.
    2008 Jets open the year 8-3! Favre is the man! First team to miss NFL playoffs after 8-3 start.
    2009 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! Blow halftime lead, season over.
    2010 Jets get to AFC Championship Game! This is it! Don't get off bus, season over.

That's 17 years of NFL hell. That's 14 straight season of knowing you have the talent to get to the Super Bowl and finding incredible ways to f*ck it up every single time.

So we're forgiven if the latest version of "THIS is the year!" saw its wheels come off after we felt great about the annual home crushing of the Patriots and the easy road win at the pathetic Tebow's. We're punch-drunk. It's been pure torture.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I love these posts.

Do you still have the "Jets ruin Christmas for the fans" list lying around anywhere?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4251289]As a kid, I recall the mud bowl and cheating Don Shula for not covering the field. Jets were steaming roll thru the playoffs.

1985 home playoff loss to NE.

1886 Div. round at Clev. Enough said.

While 1998, 2004, 2009 and last season were frustrating becasue those teams had a legit shot to make it to the SB and possibily win it, I would not say the joy of the overall season equates to the disasters of 1995, 1996, or 2007. To win it you have to be in it. It just didn;t work out for us those years. But the Jets are headed in the right direction as a franchise. Our time will come and when we win, it will make these aformentioned frustrations even sweeter. Just ask fans of the NO Saints.[/QUOTE]

To be honest it always seems like we are headed in the right direction before it strikes again. The Saints didn't tease their fans like this. They got there and then won it. Listen I'm just venting right now because this thread brought back all of the feelings from those crushing losses. Think about it. Even some of the worst franchises in NFL history have won it or have been to the SB since the Jets won (ie TB,NO Sea, Cin, SF, Car,). Every time the Jets get close some dumb thing happens or a questionable coaching decision, bunch of picks and fumbles. This team cannot even get lucky not even once in 40+ years! Nobody expected BB to be any kind of coach when he resigned from the Jets job. But him winning three SB with the Pats and tormenting the Jets all these years is exactly the kind of thing that only happens to the Jets. Only a former Jets coach killing them can happen to this team. Rex leaves the Ravens and the Jets cannot beat them at all. Bill Parcells could have done the same thing to NE but he quit before he could get the job done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4251239]The Jets have been legitimate playoff contenders each season since 1997. Those other teams you've mentioned have had their 'spurts' but none have been as consistently good as the Jets have the last 15 seasons. If you were a (name goes here) fan, you didn't think you had a shot at a Super Bowl the past 15 years. The Browns and Texans didn't even exist for most of our 'run'. The Eagles are the only team that makes your case, but they at least got to a Super Bowl, got to experience it once.

The point of "Jets torture" revolves around how consistently competitive we've been these past 15 consecutive years. No other NFL team can claim that agony.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

And of all those playoff contenders, how many of those teams have you actually believed could get to the Super Bowl? The '98 team for sure. Last year probably and maybe the '02 Jets. Other than that, we have had 9-7, 10-5 teams that get wild cards.

Not to mention that we have had horrible seasons in there: '99, '07

I have not seen a season where we were legitimate SB favorites.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wepnx;4251411[B]]To be honest it always seems like we are headed in the right direction before it strikes again. The Saints didn't tease their fans like this. They got there and then won it.[/B] Listen I'm just venting right now because this thread brought back all of the feelings from those crushing losses. Think about it. Even some of the worst franchises in NFL history have won it or have been to the SB since the Jets won (ie TB,NO Sea, Cin, SF, Car,). Every time the Jets get close some dumb thing happens or a questionable coaching decision, bunch of picks and fumbles. This team cannot even get lucky not even once in 40+ years! Nobody expected BB to be any kind of coach when he resigned from the Jets job. But him winning three SB with the Pats and tormenting the Jets all these years is exactly the kind of thing that only happens to the Jets. Only a former Jets coach killing them can happen to this team. Rex leaves the Ravens and the Jets cannot beat them at all. Bill Parcells could have done the same thing to NE but he quit before he could get the job done.[/QUOTE]

So the 2006 NFC Championship loss to the Bears doesnt count?

And San Francisco has not been one of the worst franchises in NFL history. Even in the 60s and 70s they had John Brodie at QB and made a few NFC championship game appearances.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TechJet;4250573]I've been fraustrated before but never like this, why am I so con-tank-arous, boistarous and ready to cuss everybody out? could it be past seasons failures
    are catching up to my emotions. or am I making it out to be something its not.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain TechJet. 42 years for me, but what the heck, Ive got nothing better to do than to be disappointed year after year! :rolleyes: