Thread: PSG/Beckham

PSG/Beckham

it's all over teh intrenetz, PSG going hard after Beckham with an offer of $18 million for 18 months.

what say you, Raoul?

Jets Insider VIP
    It's been all over the news since the Qataris took over the team. They want him here.

As a player, I don't think he'll have much of an impact we're already pretty stacked on offense and we still haven't jelled yet. I've personally never been a fan of the guy, sort of a one trick poney (albeit a very good one).

Marketing-wise it's a total win. It puts PSG on the map worldwide and next year when we'll try to bring in big names, the fact that we already have a megastar helps a ton to convince guys. Plus, I think he has a great attitude. I don't see him being a locker room cancer if he doesn't play enough.

It's a win-win if you ask me, with very little impact on the field.

It's funny, people mocked the MLS for going after him 5 years ago for crazy money (which was mostly tied to marketing anyhow, it wasn't really $250M/5years), bow he might go back to Europe to a legit league, and people think he'll make some noise.

Like anything else, the Beckham event wasn't a total success, but it did do a lot of good for MLS.

I'd love to see a follow up to the Grant Wahl book about the first 2 years of the Beckham signing (which were a bit of a disaster) that really looks at the whole time there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I'd love to see a follow up to the Grant Wahl book about the first 2 years of the Beckham signing (which were a bit of a disaster) that really looks at the whole time there.
    If I remember correctly his problems with teammates arouse from being massively overpayed compared to him no? Meaning, I've always read that he's a good teammate, never complains if he sits on the bench ..etc.

Veteran
    I've never been a becks fan. I loved Best's quotes about him:

"Beckham - you can say he's got a good right foot but he's not got a left. "

"Beckham didn't deserve to be elected best player in the world. When he can do something else apart from cross perhaps he will."

"He (Beckham) cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

He was the perfect person to promote the sport in the US because he was more celebrity than substance. No offense to our soccer loving frinds here but I don't think his play was being scrutinized over there as much as he would have been playing for a top side in Europe. It was good for both MLS and Becks.

As for PSG...We have a proverb in Turkish "Arap yağı bol bulunca kıçına sürermiş" which rougly translates as "When an arab has too much oil he rubs it on his ass"
    Last edited by The Turk; 11-28-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I've never been a becks fan. I loved Best's quotes about him:

"Beckham - you can say he's got a good right foot but he's not got a left. "

"Beckham didn't deserve to be elected best player in the world. When he can do something else apart from cross perhaps he will."

"He (Beckham) cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's all right."

He was the perfect person to promote the sport in the US because he was more celebrity than substance. No offense to our soccer loving frinds here but I don't think his play was being scrutinized over there as much as he would have been playing for a top side in Europe. It was good for both MLS and Becks.

As for PSG...We have a proverb in Turkish "Arap yağı bol bulunca kıçına sürermiş" which rougly translates as "When an arab has too much oil he rubs it on his ass"
    I hope he has the positive impact he had on MLS over here. This year Ligue 1 signed a few household names: Lugano, Pastore, Joe Cole..

If he comes, it should have a positive impact on L1 and on us, even if he rides the bench.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I hope he has the positive impact he had on MLS over here. This year Ligue 1 signed a few household names: Lugano, Pastore, Joe Cole..

If he comes, it should have a positive impact on L1 and on us, even if he rides the bench.
    I'm not sure I agree RD. I think it's a mistake bringing over guys like Beckham, Joe Cole and Lugano. Pastore is a little different.

L1 has built a reputation as a niche league where young promising guys can play regularly, the League is more about teamwork rather than star power and parity. There are people in Turkey, as I'm sure there are all over Europe, that had become L1 fans for those reasons. If you change and try to compete with the Premiership and La Liga the best you can hope for is being the third best league because face it you don't have to cultural advantage of being a spanish speaking country or the financial advantage of the premiership. If I was you I would've preferred L1 remain the best league at its niche rather than try to imitate the big boys.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not sure I agree RD. I think ....
    I stopped reading there. I don't give a sh*t what you think.

>rubs his ass with oil<

Veteran
    I stopped reading there. I don't give a sh*t what you think.

>rubs his ass with oil<
    LOL

TBH I disagree with The Turk here - obviously a fan of the Premier and watched him for years ply his trade there coming up through the Manure ranks - the dude was world class for a long period of his career. He had excellent defensive qualities - his crossing, passing and dead ball abilities are out of this world. He lacked cutting pace - but always had a big motor - probably why he's still playing and back in with a shout of playing back in Europe at his age because players who rely on pace go early in terms of the time of their playing careers.

Biggest compliment to him was paid by the Real Madrid fans when he went there - to quote - they thought they were getting a "clothes horse", but they were amazed at what he could do. He was dominant for them in the period he went there before his injury - actually their best player for that first spell. This was around the time they'd won the Champions League and had ZZ, Ronaldo etc playing for them - they were the best club side in the world but Beckham went there and stood out. Beckham provided some defensive grit and was as athletic and skillful with the pass/dead ball as any of them. With the dead ball probably the best in that squad - and if you think of who is in that squad that is an insane compliment - in fact I place him as one of the best dead ball players in the history of the game. Yes, he has one foot, but so did Maradona. Dude is a celebrity, but he's also a freak. Great player - one of those players who makes others play better because he's on the pitch. Can't stand him for what he is and who he played for - but I recognise quality when I see it. Couldn't dribble past his grandmother but the other parts of his game, wow.

Yeah, BTW - he was one of those players that every man and his dog knew what he was going to do, and thus opposing managers were always trying to "shut down the Beckham avenue" (ie that crossing/passing from wide areas) and frequently they'd put three men on the job, but he'd still manage to do it. He always found space for the cross - that's one of the things that made him special - you'd see all these defenders rushing at him trying to shut him down but he'd still make that cross from 40 yards onto the head of the striker for the easy put away. He made so-so strikers look world class. Always one, two touch with Beckham, then distribute, and as I said the distribution is up there with the best in the history of the game, if not the best from certain distances. Glad he's married to that skeleton hag wife of his and that he's as thick as a plank - just to spoil it all for a Manure player.
    Last edited by Soberphobia; 12-05-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's reportedly a done deal. He should join the club for the 2nd half of the season (there's a samll Xmas break at the halfway point).

on a side note we just fired our coach even though we're in 1st place to make room for Ancelotti.

>rubs his ass with oil<

Veteran
    It's reportedly a done deal. He should join the club for the 2nd half of the season (there's a samll Xmas break at the halfway point).

on a side note we just fired our coach even though we're in 1st place to make room for Ancelotti.

>rubs his ass with oil<
    LOL, the Arabic taste for excess is unrivaled

A french team with an Arabic owner, if you had an Israeli connection too PSG would be a Turkish bigots' heaven; fulfilling all his hatred needs in one stop

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL, the Arabic taste for excess is unrivaled

A french team with an Arabic owner, if you had an Israeli connection too PSG would be a Turkish bigots' heaven; fulfilling all his hatred needs in one stop
    ...and an Armenian striker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Beckham - done
    Ancelotti - done
    Pato -

POSSIBLY

Yaaaaawn just another day at the office. I'm Kind of expecting us to sign Aaron Rodgers at some point as ball boy.

<wipes ass with oil>

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Beckham - done
    Ancelotti - done
    Pato -

POSSIBLY

Yaaaaawn just another day at the office. I'm Kind of expecting us to sign Aaron Rodgers at some point as ball boy.

<wipes ass with oil>
    Nice little squad shaping up there. I always liked Ancelotti.

Jets Insider VIP
    it doesn't seem like Beckham is coming after all.