Thread: Quadrophenia Remastered

Waterboy

Quadrophenia Remastered

For all of you fans of The Who out there, Quadrophenia was just remastered and re-released. It includes an additional 2 discs which are "demos". These are all songs which are on the original album and some which obviously did not make it, but the vocals are all by Pete Townshend and are an interesting listen. This is my favorite album of all time. I think Townshend, Daltry, Entwistle, and Moon were all at their best on this album and I don't think it gets the credit it is due. "Tommy" gets so much acclaim as the "rock opera" but I think Quadrophenia blows away Tommy musically and lyrically and it is an opera in it's own right. It has everything rock 'n roll is about. If you put this album on and listen to it, and I mean really listen to it, not have it on while you are doing something else, I think you would be amazed by it. Moon and Entwistle are incredible. The lyrics cover everything. A kid at odds with his parents and getting kicked out, trying to fit in, drugs, alcohol, sex, fighting, hereditary mental illness, lesbianism, working crappy jobs, and pretty much everything a young guy growing up deals with. The crown jewel of the album is "Love reign o'er me', my favorite song of all time. I've always wondered if I overrate this album or if others see the brilliance of it as I do. Since it's re-release I find myself thinking about it. I am a long time reader and a rare poster but i thought I would take this opportunity to get some feedback on this. Positive and negative are welcome. Thanks in advance

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I also think this is the Who's greatest album...I'll be picking up a copy, thanks for the head's up. :cool:

it's not actually in quadrophonic sound, is that correct? can a modern stereo do quad sound?

or maybe 5:1 is somehow better?
    Last edited by bitonti; 11-26-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVk8Ze26_PA&feature=related[/URL]

Keith Moon!

Waterboy
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4251148][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVk8Ze26_PA&feature=related[/URL]

Keith Moon![/QUOTE]

Dr Jimmy and Mr. Jim has the best line of the album. "You say she's a virgin, but I'm gonna be the first in, her fella's gonna kill me, oh f***in' will he!" But it's the way he sings it. The first part sounds like "oh crap, he's gonna kill me", but then it's "oh f***in' will he!

Speaking of the 'demos' part of the original post. It is amazing how many demos or 1st drafts of songs there is out there kicking around youtube. Some are very different than the final versions and quite interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Was that by the The Who?

_

"Sea and Sand" is the song I most often play on my guitar. Wonderful melody and chord changes. Townshend's demo is beautiful.

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P8ce3mPys0&feature=related

For me, this song epitomizes the brilliance of the record. I still recall putting the album on the turntable a day or two after its release. Needless to say, I was in my room for many hours playing it non-stop, especially "The Real Me". Entwistle's bass solo and fills were a challenge for me to learn...but I did.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwSKepkmdE[/url]

Waterboy
    Borgo, nice call on "Sea and Sand", my second favorite on the album. Such a great tune and it's a shame songs like that never get on the radio for more to enjoy. I can imagine trying to play anything Entwistle and Moon did especially on this album. Entwistle was brilliant.

[QUOTE=Rumrunner;4251456]Borgo, nice call on "Sea and Sand", my second favorite on the album. Such a great tune and it's a shame songs like that never get on the radio for more to enjoy. I can imagine trying to play anything Entwistle and Moon did especially on this album. Entwistle was brilliant.[/QUOTE]

Entwistle is still my favorite bass player (or bass [I]guitarist[/I], as he liked to call himself). Moon is a complete madman on the record (as well as on anything else he recorded :D:). It always seems like he's running in place on his kick pedal. Here's a prime example. Brilliant.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDag50N8vY&feature=related[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4251142]I also think this is the Who's greatest album...I'll be picking up a copy, thanks for the head's up. :cool:[/QUOTE]

+2

:cool: