Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With the advent of Maybin do we still draft an OLB?

With the advent of Maybin do we still draft an OLB?

Clearly Aaron Maybin is a legit pass rusher and possibly the one we have been lacking for years. Since He is only 23 do we still need to draft one in the first round next year? I say no. One more year under his belt he can be a 10-15 sack a year guy...

I think we should because Maybin hasn't shown that he can be an everydown player for us. He's been able to make an impact in passing scenarios but he lacks the size to be on the field every play as a full time player.

All League
    Yes!

Maybin brings some nice speed to the pass rush, but not much else.

yes... maybin is 1 trick poney. either he completley beats his man off the line or he is immediatley nutralized. plus he is virtually useless in the run support.

i personally want the guy from either FSU (jenkins) or marshall (curry?)

[QUOTE=jamesangleton;4253526]Clearly Aaron Maybin is a legit pass rusher and possibly the one we have been lacking for years. Since He is only 23 do we still need to draft one in the first round next year? I say no. One more year under his belt he can be a 10-15 sack a year guy...[/QUOTE]

Maybin got pancaked a bunch too today.

absolutely.
    Maybin has 1 move. One. Surprisingly, the team that let him go should know exactly that.

Nevertheless, his speed rush is stoppable by most teams. we need someone with more size, who is actually a true OLB.

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4253540]Maybin got pancaked a bunch too today.[/QUOTE]

Maybin needs to eat a bunch of Pancakes! ;)

All Pro
    I'm a huge fan of Maybin and he gives the defense some much needed speed and pass rush ability. The problem though is that he can only be used on clear passing downs right now since he is such a liability against the run. Maybe he adds weight and gets stronger in the offseason. But since that is an uncertainty, I say we still need a complete OLB opposite of Pace who can play both the pass and the run.

Without question, but don't reach in the first for one. 1st round could go to a lot of positions right now.

Rookie
    Definitely yes. You need more than one. Maybin did have long stretches when he got nothing. How do you think the Bills were able to drive down the field so much? Too many times Fitzpatrick had too long to throw. Maybin allows the Jets to carefully select and not reach on a questionable pick.

All League
    [QUOTE=simijet;4253535]Yes!

Maybin brings some nice speed to the pass rush, but not much else.[/QUOTE]

+1
    the more depth the better..

[QUOTE=jamesangleton;4253526]Clearly Aaron Maybin is a legit pass rusher and possibly the one we have been lacking for years. Since He is only 23 do we still need to draft one in the first round next year? I say no. One more year under his belt he can be a 10-15 sack a year guy...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely need to draft one, and I am one of the bigger MAYHEM fans you will meet.

Nobody will admit this, but Bryan Thomas was a solid part of this defense. He isn't a big time pass rusher, but he could do a little bit of everything. Rex's OLBs have been traditionally on the larger size because he needs them to be run stoppers as well instead of pure pass rushers.

Maybin is a solid piece to the pass rushing puzzle, but this team clearly needs more help in this department. Pace isn't a spring chicken either.

Are you serious???? First of all, Maybin falls down on half his plays. He is a straight ahead rusher and nothing else. Second, even if he was a complete player, we need a lot more than one OLB. Pace is on the downside, BT will be coming off a major injury, Westermann and McIntyre are complete garbage... who else is there? I can't even believe someone would ask this question. Unreal.

All League
    If one move = 3 sacks/game, he's my guy.

Plus, a legit off season and camp with jet coaches? I bet he has 2 moves by sept.

Sure but no need in the first round.

Right tackle is more needed.

[QUOTE=stanner;4253564]If one move = 3 sacks/game, he's my guy.

Plus, a legit off season and camp with jet coaches? I bet he has 2 moves by sept.[/QUOTE]

If you watched at the end of the game when the Bills were only passing he'd speed rush and trying run around the tackle. However, he was getting locked up with the tackle and literally would get slammed into the ground. Now maybe during the offseason he adds some bulk and becomes a complete player. But you don't count on that. Definitely should look into drafting Upshaw or Jenkins if possible.

Hall Of Fame
    If Maybin is willing to go on the newest undetectable PED in order to get bigger and gain weight then NO.

Veteran
    Yep, the Jets still need to acquire or draft an OLB. Maybin can get after the QB and may stick with the team but he's a situational guy in my opinion.

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;4253576]Sure but no need in the first round.

Right tackle is more needed.[/QUOTE]

I think a cover safety is the #1 need, but the draft order would depend upon who's on the board at the time.

S, RT, OLB are 3 very big needs.