Thread: Anemic starts to most games

Anemic starts to most games

In the last 49 games, beginning with week 1 of 2009, The Jets have failed to score a first-quarter offensive touchdown from scrimmage in 39 of them. (Not counting touchdowns from defense and special teams.)

[U]These are the numbers[/U]: (including playoff games)
    [B]2009[/B]
    Games played - 19
    Games with no first-quarter offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - 13
    Games with no first-[B]HALF[/B] offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - 6

[B]2010[/B]
    Games played - 19
    Games with no first-quarter offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - [B]17[/B]
    Games with no first-[B]HALF[/B] offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - 9

[B]2011[/B]
    Games played - 11 so far
    Games with no first-quarter offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - [B]9[/B]
    Games with no first-HALF offensive touchdowns from scrimmage - 3

The first part of a game is when you are executing your gameplan. If you are behind in the second half, the gameplan pretty much goes out the window, and you adjust.

The Jets anemic starts owe to the gameplans, hence the Offensive Coordinator. Their comeback wins in the second half of games owe to the ability of the players, in large measure. Sanchez, for one, seems to play best when the handcuffs are removed.

For purposes of comparison, I looked at the 2010 Patriots. Their numbers were: 17 games played; 6 with no first-quarter offensive TDs from scrimmage. I'm sure if I looked at other years, I'd probably see similar results.

That the Jets win as much as they do while playing from behind is a real testimony to the players. That they have to play from behind as often as they do is a reflection on the coaches.

Hall Of Fame
    Schotty's Script. Plain and simple.

Veteran
    We know, we know. Thanks for putting it in black and white for the remaining holdouts. Good stuff. The jury is still out on Mark, but they recommended life without parole for Schitty a long time ago...

All Pro
    Rex is the HC.

[QUOTE=RoadFan;4253716]The jury is still out on Mark, but they recommended life without parole for Schitty a long time ago...[/QUOTE]

LOL.

The telling stat is the failure to score a 1st-qtr offensive TD in [B]80%[/B] of games.

And the team gave Schotty a contract extension. That, to me, is the [URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisegeek.com%2Fwhat-does-it-mean-to-be-a-canary-in-a-coal-mine.htm&ei=irzSTqKzMsObiALKvNzbCw&usg=AFQjCNHYyqDjITUpe0lxVD6IqzFRyC7gpg&sig2=b9fDNTm_8vSmdZjDI8TjTA"]canary in the coal mine[/URL] for this team's title chances going forward.

I've been talking about this for a while now and it's ludicrous to simply blame Schotty for all the problems.

Are all Sanchez apologists blind?! Go back and look at todays game. Sanchez started off the game 0/4 and virtually every one of his passes were either badly times or slightly behind the intended receiver. Others were thrown into obvious double and triple coverage, coverage that I could see sitting on my couch. Why can't Sanchez audible out of these terrible plays Schotty has out the offense in?

Schotty calls the plays but he can't execute them also. He counts on the players to do that and Sanchez is simply not cutting it.

His passes are erratic and inaccurate. He stares down his intended target. He never looks off coverage. He throws into double and triple coverage as though he cannot see what he's looking at. He's got happy feet in the pocket.

Now, you don't have to impress on me that Schotty is a problem. Why didn't he call any bombs today? The Jets have only 5 passes attempted for more than 31+ yards. He has underutilized Holmes and his stretch the field abilities. No wonder why they cannot get the defense to play honest.

But to blame Schotty for all of this is completely and totally stupid. Sanchez is clearly part of the problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    excellent point Johnny One Note --- on how many separate threads today have you posted this exact same concept --- under or over seven??

Excellent point---Jets are notoriously slow starters--unfortunately they have been slow finishers for the better part of this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4253750]I've been talking about this for a while now and it's ludicrous to simply blame Schotty for all the problems.

Are all Sanchez apologists blind?! Go back and look at todays game. Sanchez started off the game 0/4 and virtually every one of his passes were either badly times or slightly behind the intended receiver. Others were thrown into obvious double and triple coverage, coverage that I could see sitting on my couch. Why can't Sanchez audible out of these terrible plays Schotty has out the offense in?

Schotty calls the plays but he can't execute them also. He counts on the players to do that and Sanchez is simply not cutting it.

His passes are erratic and inaccurate. He stares down his intended target. He never looks off coverage. He throws into double and triple coverage as though he cannot see what he's looking at. He's got happy feet in the pocket.

Now, you don't have to impress on me that Schotty is a problem. Why didn't he call any bombs today? The Jets have only 5 passes attempted for more than 31+ yards. He has underutilized Holmes and his stretch the field abilities. No wonder why they cannot get the defense to play honest.

But to blame Schotty for all of this is completely and totally stupid. Sanchez is clearly part of the problem.[/QUOTE]I'm a "hater" as well, but Keller needs to assert himself on those first two. Kudos also to Schitty for riding him back to start the 2nd half. Most of all, props to Marky for shrugging the pressure whlie Plax lollogagged the Bills's 2ndary to sleep.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4253750]I've been talking about this for a while now and it's ludicrous to simply blame Schotty for all the problems.

But to blame Schotty for all of this is completely and totally stupid. Sanchez is clearly part of the problem.[/QUOTE]

Look in sf, harbaugh turned a horrible bust qb into a productive player. Look in Houston where before he got hurt leinart was looking pretty good. Look at our defense before Rex got here.

You can say mark needs to play better, and it's true, but you can't deny that getting a better offensive system is not going to improve the jets production.

Schotty has been here through 4 qbs, all with very different skillets, and our offense has looked the same through all of then. Now look at Denver who revamped their entire system in a matter of weeks to suit the strengths of their qb.

Sanchez is not a hall of gamer but he could certainly do better with a OC that doesn't suck.

[QUOTE=Funaz;4253868]Look in sf, harbaugh turned a horrible bust qb into a productive player. Look in Houston where before he got hurt leinart was looking pretty good. Look at our defense before Rex got here.

[B]You can say mark needs to play better, and it's true, but you can't deny that getting a better offensive system is not going to improve the jets production.[/B]

Schotty has been here through 4 qbs, all with very different skillets, and our offense has looked the same through all of then. Now look at Denver who revamped their entire system in a matter of weeks to suit the strengths of their qb.

Sanchez is not a hall of gamer but he could certainly do better with a OC that doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

I never said it wouldn't. I also advocate that they do exactly that - fire the OC. Promote Bill Callahan to OC. I would be all for that.

But saying Sanchez isn't the problem is absolutely ignoring the facts.

Jets Insider VIP
    First play of the game.

Fullback dive to John Connor.

Spent all week coming up with that one.

What else really needs to be said?

Seriously. Until that part of the problem is addressed, debating the finer points of player execution (or lack thereof) is pretty much a pointless endeavor.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4253969]First play of the game.

Spent all week coming up with that one.[/QUOTE]

lol...

lol??

:(

Seriously. Until that part of the problem is addressed, debating the finer points of player execution (or lack thereof) is pretty much a pointless endeavor.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh.

Seriously. Until that part of the problem is addressed, debating the finer points of player execution (or lack thereof) is pretty much a pointless endeavor.[/QUOTE]

That is creative playcalling for Schitty. Usually it is a run up the middle by Greene for no gain. :D