Thread: Penalty Called in 3rd but not marked off. Any explination?

Jets Insider VIP

Penalty Called in 3rd but not marked off. Any explination?

Late in the 3rd quarter the Jets punted to the Bills and the Jets downed the ball on the Buffalo 19 yard line. After the play the ref said Holding on Buffalo. Yet Buffalo started the drive on the 19 after a commercial break. What the hell happened there I feel like I missed something

The ref picked up the flag and called off the penalty.... He meant to call holding on 27 of the Jets....Can't call holding on the kicking team after the ball was kicked.
    No penalty>>>.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok ....cuz Marv didnt say crap about that

Jets Insider VIP
    Marv was fixing his rug at the time

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;4253824]Marv was adjusting his garter belt stockings at the time[/QUOTE]
    Fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Conkboy;4253761]The ref picked up the flag and called off the penalty.... He meant to call holding on 27 of the Jets....[B]Can't call holding on the kicking team after the ball was kicked[/B].
    No penalty>>>.[/QUOTE]
    The Eagles, who were punting as well, were just called for holding during the kick and the 10 yards was assessed/added to the spot of the fair catch.

So I don't believe that is accurate.

I'm guessing the flag was simply picked up like it was earlier in the game when the ref announced that there WAS no holding on the play.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4253872]The Eagles, who were punting as well, were just called for holding during the kick and the 10 yards was assessed/added to the spot of the fair catch.

So I don't believe that is accurate.

I'm guessing the flag was simply picked up like it was earlier in the game when the ref announced that there WAS no holding on the play.[/QUOTE]

During the kick you can have holding....

After the kick you are a defender. I was at the game and the ref explained it. He called the penalty on #27 of Bills and meant to say 27 of the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Conkboy;4253879]During the kick you can have holding....

After the kick you are a defender. I was at the game and the ref explained it. He called the penalty on #27 of Bills and meant to say 27 of the Jets.[/QUOTE]
    What is the distinction between during the kick and after the kick?

I would think they are one in the same. Both are after the ball is struck.

If the hold occured before the ball was struck, the receiving team would have the option of a re-kick no?

What am I missing here?

[QUOTE=Jordy;4253931]What is the distinction between during the kick and after the kick?

I would think they are one in the same. Both are after the ball is struck.

If the hold occured before the ball was struck, the receiving team would have the option of a re-kick no?

What am I missing here?[/QUOTE]

You are considered an offensive player until the ball is kicked by the punter. That is called during the kick. Once the kick has left the punters foot you are a defender. The referee explained it during the TV time out.

Once the ball is kicked you can't be called for holding if you are a defender who is pursuing the play. Those are close if not exactly the words the referee used when explaining why there was no penalty on the play.

You also now have the options of either making the punting team re-kick or taking the yards from the end of the play. This rule was put in a few years ago to speed up play.

Jets Insider VIP
    So we still dont know what happened.

New York Jets at 2:11 BUF NYJ
    1st and 10 at NYJ 37 M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep middle to P.Burress.
    2nd and 10 at NYJ 37 (Shotgun) M.Sanchez pass incomplete deep middle to P.Turner (J.Byrd).
    3rd and 10 at NYJ 37 M.Sanchez pass incomplete short left to S.Holmes.
    4th and 10 at NYJ 37 T.Conley punts 44 yards to BUF 19, Center-T.Purdum, downed by NYJ-I.Trufant.
    DRIVE TOTALS: BUF 21, NYJ 21, 3 plays, 0 yards, 0:33 elapsed

Above is the recap of the series... The reason you don't see any penalty is because it was reversed. I have explained what happened in earlier posts. Sorry it seems no one likes the answer.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4253931]

What am I missing here?[/QUOTE]

Basic knowledge of football?

Common sense?

:confused:

this particular instance has been explained in the thread. for the record, however, refs picking up flags after throwing them, isn't uncommon. sure its annoying, but there's a bunch of zebras out there. sometimes one thinks they see things that aren't actually legit. the conferences on the field are for a reason. if the head judge determines it phooey, no flag.

that explanation is for pretty much all calls, the rest of the thread pertains to this one.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm pretty sure it was Bellicheck's fault.

Veteran
    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I wasted 10mins. bit(chin about how something like that goes unnoticed by our coaches :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    the ref picked up the flag

the reason for the confusion is that Marv and Gannon the Chimp didn't bother explaining since they were too busy discussing how great the Bills were playing and how terrible the Jets were playing.

Similarly they never explained that a penalty was called on Stupid Johnson for his celebratory dance and that the ball was thus being kicked from the 20 yard line

such little details couldn't get in the way of their need to praise the Bills and blast the Jets for 3 plus hours