Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Sanchez Has Time--No Open Receivers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

When Sanchez Has Time--No Open Receivers

I was waiting for a game where Sanchez had plenty of time to throw, to see if his problems were strictly a function of bad protection. This was the game and the results are hard to figure. He had plenty of time all day, but from TV replays, more often then not, receivers were just not open. It wasn't as if the Jets were playing against a superior defensive backfield so what's the deal. As mentioned in another post, I also noticed that both Burris and Holmes were not running their routes sharply--it seemed as if they were often just going through the motions. In another post, the blame is put on Schittyloser, but I don't buy that entirely.

Whats the verdict?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its so hard to tell without seeing the all 22 film, but I tend to agree based on the limited wide shots we do see. I would add that it has seemed that way more often than not this season... is it the route designs? the route running? both?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4254547]I was waiting for a game where Sanchez had plenty of time to throw, to see if his problems were strictly a function of bad protection. This was the game and the results are hard to figure. He had plenty of time all day, but from TV replays, more often then not, receivers were just not open. It wasn't as if the Jets were playing against a superior defensive backfield so what's the deal. As mentioned in another post, I also noticed that both Burris and Holmes were not running their routes sharply--it seemed as if they were often just going through the motions. In another post, the blame is put on Schittyloser, but I don't buy that entirely.

Whats the verdict?[/QUOTE]

Lackadaisical route running.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NyerInTex;4254575]Lackadaisical route running.[/QUOTE]

Awful play calling on top... I have never seen in my whole life when one reciever runs a route in the middle of the field while everyone block and NO ONE ELSE on O runs a pattern I thought it was an early April fools joke... Plain terrible. A W is W but that was BAD all around:mad:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigJet85;4254586]Awful play calling on top... I have never seen in my whole life when one reciever runs a route in the middle of the field while everyone block and NO ONE ELSE on O runs a pattern I thought it was an early April fools joke... Plain terrible. A W is W but that was BAD all around:mad:[/QUOTE]

Never heard of max protect? :huh:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lazy route running, combined with below average route design, and a QB who needs a new voice/coaching up = our issues in the passing game

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poor accuracy. Even when wr's are open, he's throwing behind them and high.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the game. The receivers were barely ever open, just no options for Sanchez. Even on the INT...the Jets were in max protect with one WR and five DBs hawking the pass play. The poor communication between Sanchez and Holmes is another black eye for Schottenheimer. The 'fire shotty' chants were awesome.

The Jets NEED Kerley back in the worst way. They also MUST spend a high draft pick on a wide receiver.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the receivers are so used to gunning perfect routes just to see Sanchez get chased and laminated to the turf, that they no longer give full effort.

The OL has been such a disgrace lately that Sanchez's timing and accuracy is out of sync.

Plus the latest trend is to keep extra bodies in to reinforce Callahan's abomination of an OL that, at Week 12, can't grasp the concept of pushing a pocket and do what well-trained OLs do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rock48nj;4254572]Its so hard to tell without seeing the all 22 film, but I tend to agree based on the limited wide shots we do see. I would add that it has seemed that way more often than not this season... is it the route designs? the route running? both?[/QUOTE]

both.. holmes makes it so obvious sometimes. the dead weight on this team is starting to float to the top... plax has the whole" i just came out of jail" excuse but tone should be playing alot better than he is...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You watch other teams and they always have guys running deep down field with a large window to get the ball into, watch the Jets and there is almost NO separation. Even that Plaxico one handed grab was more of an amazing play than a guy who got open.

Sanchez missed a couple of throws and made a few bad decisions, but so does just about every other QB. Keller and Plax TDs were wide open, but other than that, Sanchez didn't have much to throw to all game.

I'd like to see Mark extend the play a little longer, maybe roll out, to see if someone can break away.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont see the WRs coming back for the ball when Sanchez is under heat. Most of the times they stop and stand around and watch.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Points

The QB is shell shocked from the beating he has taken. The media is all over him, he got killed yesterday from everyone I heard. I wasn't at the game but it looked like the WRs were covered and especially Holmes looked like he wasn't running hard.

I always wonder why other teams have guys wide open and that is rarely the case with us. Looks like poor play design to me.

This team has probelms with chemistry and if you don't see that you are not watching. And I mean from the top down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The machine doesnt seemed to be as well oiled as its been the last 2 years. Theres alot of unanswered questions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4254867]I dont see the WRs coming back for the ball when Sanchez is under heat. Most of the times they stop and stand around and watch.[/QUOTE]

that pi$$es me off to no end... they do the same on eight yard slants. no one wants to run that far because they think the o-line wont give sanchez emough time in the first place..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4254612]Lazy route running, combined with below average route design, and a QB who needs a new voice/coaching up = our issues in the passing game[/QUOTE]

Starting to feel like this is it. Instead of looking to lay blame at a specific person on the offense, I think we just need to realize that the ENTIRE offense is second-rate at best.

Wrong scheme for QB
    Disinterested receivers
    Struggling O-Line
    Poor playcalling / structure

It's everything. This to me is maybe the greatest indictment of Schotty...he may go on to have success elsewhere, but this offense has collapsed on him and there are only two (three if you count LT) different starters in the unit this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight is 20/20 and while I was on board for letting Cotch and Braylon go, the fact is they were both very hard workers. There is no veteran WR who can lead by example. and making Santonio a captain was probably a mistake. Tone and Plax are no doubt two talented and clutch receivers but they seem to have little interest in doing the little things (especially in the first 3 quarters) that win games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4254612]Lazy route running, combined with below average route design, and a QB who needs a new voice/coaching up = our issues in the passing game[/QUOTE]

plus: Receivers bunched up together instead of spreading the defense. Routes that result in 3 or more defenders within 10 yds of each other? FAIL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yesterday was a good game to watch the jets passing offense with good protection, so it basically eliminated the 'sanchez has no time' argument. also the running game was pretty good, nothing amazing, but not stagnant.

the more you watch this year's wrs, you see why sanchez is throwing into bad situations. his only other options are to run or throw it away. it's not like there are wide open wrs and he's throwing to someone else. it's not as if wrs are wide open and he's not hitting them, like tebow. kerley was the only one this year who really could get into space, and sanchez was hitting him for first downs.

i think sanchez is 'taking one for the team' by continuing to blame himself when there are so many other issues with the offense, from rex, to schotty, to the protection to the lack of playmakers and inconsistent running game.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4254547]I was waiting for a game where Sanchez had plenty of time to throw, to see if his problems were strictly a function of bad protection. This was the game and the results are hard to figure. He had plenty of time all day, but from TV replays, more often then not, receivers were just not open. It wasn't as if the Jets were playing against a superior defensive backfield so what's the deal. As mentioned in another post, I also noticed that both Burris and Holmes were not running their routes sharply--it seemed as if they were often just going through the motions. In another post, the blame is put on Schittyloser, but I don't buy that entirely.

Whats the verdict?[/QUOTE]

OC Sucks that the verdict. Poor play design Poor route design. Just listen to all the former QB's and Head cocahes who analyze the Jets. Just look at the plays. Not only are they the same plays over and over week after week, they are plays that don't work that are easily defended and they keep calling them. Where are his check downs? How do you call a pass play with one receiver running a route? We have well above average talent on the offense which makes it obvious they don't know how to be utilized. This is a big part of why Sanchez starts forcing the ball to a particular receiver. That is becasue thats the play that they run in practice over and over and assume its going to work on Sunday so they call it over and over. Pathetic!!! It starts during the week in practice and preperation. How you practice and prepare is how you play on Sunday. They coaches are just not very good.