Thread: Ugly win > Pretty loss

Jets Insider VIP

Ugly win > Pretty loss

How many times over the years have we sat here and read post after post about how good the D played or how we racked up 175 yards rushing but lost a 23-20 game?

I'll gladly take the following...

1. Sanchez throwing for under 200 yards and completing less than 50%
    2. Revis playing well below average and Johnson having 8 catches, 1 TD
    3. a WIN!

We should have won ugly in Denver. We won ugly yesterday. I'll take it right now. This is better than playing decent but losing in NE early this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed, even though the overall feeling is that it should have been an L

- numerous INT drops
    - Steve Johnson makes one of the 2 catches, and it's over

Buuuut, that's how we roll.

Suck it NFL :alien:

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4254870]How many times over the years have we sat here and read post after post about how good the D played or how we racked up 175 yards rushing but lost a 23-20 game?

3. a WIN!

We should have won ugly in Denver. We won ugly yesterday. I'll take it right now. This is better than playing decent but losing in NE early this year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, winning ugly is still winning. There were plenty of ugly wins around the NFL yesterday, and I don't think anyone is giving them back. I will take another ugly W next week in Washington, if thats what it takes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Lithfan;4254892]Agreed, winning ugly is still winning. There were plenty of ugly wins around the NFL yesterday, and I don't think anyone is giving them back. I will take another ugly W next week in Washington, if thats what it takes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The amazing thing is that even with all of the Jets shortcomings yesterday (not a Stokes joke) like Revis' subpar performance and Sanchez really having a mediocre day despite 4 TDs, the Jets won. If they can win when they play bad it would be fun to see them fix a few things and make a little run towards the 10 wins it will take to make the playoffs.

Those Oakland and Denver losses look like they'll come back and haunt us though in the Wildcard chase. :O

what are you, a Mets fan? :rolleyes:

REAL Jets fans want style points.

a pretty completion percentage >>> winning games.

All League
    The low completion% is hardly Mark's fault. He wasn't perfect...but there is barely ever an actually open WR on the field. These wide receivers are so slow. These routes are so poorly designed. Some of his "bad throws" were actually "miscommunications with Holmes"....a poor reflection on Schottenheimer.

Sanchez got his 90 QB rating yesterday despite Schotty and the crumbling offensive talent around him.

[QUOTE=Lithfan;4254892]Agreed, winning ugly is still winning. [B]There were plenty of ugly wins around the NFL yesterday[/B], and I don't think anyone is giving them back. I will take another ugly W next week in Washington, if thats what it takes.[/QUOTE]

Ask Pittsburgh if they will take the win against KC last night or Cincinnati escaping Cleveland...I bet they will take it.

As for the Steve Johnson drop, Leonhard was there and it sure seemed like he makes the hit. Who knows what happens after that. I remember a play like that in 2002...Priest Holmes catches a pass against us and takes it to the house and we lose that game to KC. That play conjured up those memories. Glad we escaped today.

Steelers and Bengals won ugly too.

Sometimes that's how it goes. But this was the 3rd game in a row in which we didn't play all that well, so not sure how comforted I feel going forward about the team. 11 games in and we still make the same mistakes. I think that's just who we are this season.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4254903]
    Those Oakland and Denver losses look like they'll come back and haunt us though in the Wildcard chase. :O[/QUOTE]

Denver more than any.

All Pro
    No question getting the win is most important.

And for Stevie Johnson's drops, and Sanchez's dropped INTs, we did keep them in it with muffed punts, etc.

It was a sloppy game on both sides, but we found a way to get it done -- Sanchez, Plax, and 'Tone were all clutch on the final drive.

The only thing that's concerning is the obvious notion that we need to play much better to accomplish what we're hoping to accomplish. We won't be able to play the way we played yesterday and beat a good team.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Austin;4254965]No question getting the win is most important.

And for Stevie Johnson's drops, and Sanchez's dropped INTs, we did keep them in it with muffed punts, etc.

It was a sloppy game on both sides, but we found a way to get it done -- Sanchez, Plax, and 'Tone were all clutch on the final drive.

The only thing that's concerning is the obvious notion that we need to play much better to accomplish what we're hoping to accomplish. We won't be able to play the way we played yesterday and beat a good team.[/QUOTE]

Good point. That 5 minute stretch where Cromartie singlehandedly tried to lose the game was nauseating. Muffed punt...Bills ball....deflected pass to Brad Smith...TD. If not for that the Jets may have actually walked way with a W by 10 points yesterday.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4254960]Denver more than any.[/QUOTE]

Not happy with the scheduling by the NFL this year concerning our Jets.
    Like they say, in the NFL it's WHEN you play them.

Having @ Oakland @ Ravens @ Patriots was a KILLER stretch when you now look & see that all 3 are leading their respective divisions.

Forget that we had to play on Sunday Night & travel to Denver, the real faux pas with the NFL is that the Jets had to play their number 1 division rival!
    That is not easy to begin with & then the 1st half goes 2 hours! The game ends at freaking 12:30.
    I don't think there is a chance the Jets lose that game with a full week. Forget that the defense had to get ready for that odd offense & did their job but with one day of practice for the offense, that really hurt. Denver has Miller & Dumerville, & you need more than one day to game plan protections.

It's just not the NY Jets year. I usually do not go overboard with bad calls but you could not have been watching the Jets to see we were screwed many times with calls & mostly with non-calls.
    That Von Miller late hit was so obvious every Jet fan & the announcers mentioned a fine, but the ref on replay was RIGHT THERE STARING AT IT & NO FLAG?
    In a 3 point game on the road, we needed that call!

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4254870]How many times over the years have we sat here and read post after post about how good the D played or how we racked up 175 yards rushing but lost a 23-20 game?

3. a WIN!

We should have won ugly in Denver. We won ugly yesterday. I'll take it right now. This is better than playing decent but losing in NE early this year.[/QUOTE]

Generally teams that consistently win ugly, consistently lose ugly. Consistently good teams generally blow out inferior teams in their building win a couple of ugly games on the road. Most of the NFL is mediocre teams that both win and lose games ugly week after week. There is a reason our record is right around 500 we are part of the pack.

2 weeks of playing mediocre win ugly ball games has produced a 1 and 1 record with an ugly win and an ugly lose. Mediocre, not good enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetster;4255000]Not happy with the scheduling by the NFL this year concerning our Jets.
    Like they say, in the NFL it's WHEN you play them.

Having @ Oakland @ Ravens @ Patriots was a KILLER stretch when you now look & see that all 3 are leading their respective divisions.

Forget that we had to play on Sunday Night & travel to Denver, the real faux pas with the NFL is that the Jets had to play their number 1 division rival!
    That is not easy to begin with & then the 1st half goes 2 hours! The game ends at freaking 12:30.
    I don't think there is a chance the Jets lose that game with a full week. Forget that the defense had to get ready for that odd offense & did their job but with one day of practice for the offense, that really hurt. Denver has Miller & Dumerville, & you need more than one day to game plan protections.

It's just not the NY Jets year. I usually do not go overboard with bad calls but you could not have been watching the Jets to see we were screwed many times with calls & mostly with non-calls.
    That Von Miller late hit was so obvious every Jet fan & the announcers mentioned a fine, but the ref on replay was RIGHT THERE STARING AT IT & NO FLAG?
    In a 3 point game on the road, we needed that call![/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Great points. The only solace I'll take is that despite the bad schedule, tough opponents and poor officiating, the Jets are sitting at 6-5 and largely still control their own destiny. They MUST fix their offensive woes sooner rather than later if there's any hope of going 4-1 down the stretch.

I see us sitting 9-6 when we play Miami on New Year's Day.....and I'm already having flashbacks to the Pennington win in the Meadowlands in the last game of the 2008 season. :(

The original poster is correct but this team is beyond frustrating to watch on a weekly basis. Half the team plays well the other plays like pure garbage for entire games or parts of games. The Jets have not come even remotely close to playing a good game of football other than about 2 games this year.

We'll take the wins but I hope the front office, coaches and fans are realizing just how many holes this team has right now. We have a number of players and or coaches that have to go no matter what happens, this will get glossed over if we almost make the playoffs or do make it.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4255004]Generally teams that consistently win ugly, consistently lose ugly. Consistently good teams generally blow out inferior teams in their building win a couple of ugly games on the road. Most of the NFL is mediocre teams that both win and lose games ugly week after week. There is a reason our record is right around 500 we are part of the pack.

2 weeks of playing mediocre win ugly ball games has produced a 1 and 1 record with an ugly win and an ugly lose. Mediocre, not good enough.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4255053]The original poster is correct but this team is beyond frustrating to watch on a weekly basis. Half the team plays well the other plays like pure garbage for entire games or parts of games. The Jets have not come even remotely close to playing a good game of football other than about 2 games this year.

We'll take the wins but I hope the front office, coaches and fans are realizing just how many holes this team has right now. We have a number of players and or coaches that have to go no matter what happens, this will get glossed over if we almost make the playoffs or do make it.[/QUOTE]

Well said, guys. We should all be ready to accept ugly wins, but ugly wins have been commonplace with this franchise since the days of Shrek back in '01. Just wish we could get over that hump and become a team that outplays inferior competition, or at least takes advantage of opportunites when dropped in their laps.

Side note: is there any "winning" team in the NFL that's more boring to watch than the Jets? Even in two of the comfortable wins this year (JAX & BUF), this team just has no excitement about them. I lived in Charlotte for 10 years and watched the Panthers a bunch, and it's amazing how much more exciting their losses this year have been vs. the wins the Jets have put up.

And no, I wouldn't trade a 6-5 record for a worse record and more exciting games. Not in the least. But man, sure would be nice to spend more time saying "YES!!" instead of "COME ON!!" for three hours on Sunday.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4255132]Well said, guys. We should all be ready to accept ugly wins, but ugly wins have been commonplace with this franchise since the days of Shrek back in '01. Just wish we could get over that hump and become a team that outplays inferior competition, or at least takes advantage of opportunites when dropped in their laps.

Side note: is there any "winning" team in the NFL that's more boring to watch than the Jets? Even in two of the comfortable wins this year (JAX & BUF), this team just has no excitement about them. I lived in Charlotte for 10 years and watched the Panthers a bunch, and it's amazing how much more exciting their losses this year have been vs. the wins the Jets have put up.

And no, I wouldn't trade a 6-5 record for a worse record and more exciting games. Not in the least. But man, sure would be nice to spend more time saying "YES!!" instead of "COME ON!!" for three hours on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Or the two lines I heard most often around me @ the Pats game.........
    WTFWT?
    RUFKM?