Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Shonn Greene

He had a decent game yesterday but im concerned about his health. He got up slowly after each run. McKnight looks good so far filling in for LT but is there an urgency to add another RB at least to the practice squad or sign a journeyman RB whos out there? Discuss

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    what we saw yesterday was a pain management issue, regarding his ribs. they might be broken or badly bruised. He played through it and played well. Another week he should be in better shape.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was in pain, but he played well.

we should've given McKnight more touches. he was running with confidence and he's a weapon in the passing game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4254973]he was in pain, but he played well.

we should've given McKnight more touches. he was running with confidence and he's a weapon in the passing game.[/QUOTE]

i completely agree and the only conclusion i can think of is that they worry about him fumbling, but then again greene fumbles too.

just another reason why i don't get this offense. it's 'ground and pound' with only 1 rb who can pound it. if greene can't go, then what? connor up the middle?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing. He looked like he was dying out there after every carry.

Props to him for playing through pain. We needed him and he showed up and had a good game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4254973]he was in pain, but he played well.

we should've given McKnight more touches. he was running with confidence and he's a weapon in the passing game.[/QUOTE]

McKnight is by far our quickest and most explosive back. He needs to be more involved.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decent game? He averaged 6 yards per carry. That's a great game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a HC who wants to ground and pound we have one back who is a clasic running back and he can't stay healthy. How about the Jets actually draft a ground and pound back. Powell was a reach and a waste. McKnight is going to be a third down back once Tomlinson retires and they simply don't have confidence in him yet.

This falls on management.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4254994]For a HC who wants to ground and pound we have one back who is a clasic running back and he can't stay healthy. How about the Jets actually draft a ground and pound back. Powell was a reach and a waste. McKnight is going to be a third down back once Tomlinson retires and they simply don't have confidence in him yet.

This falls on management.[/QUOTE]

don't know how you can call powell a reach/waste when he's basically redshirted this year. next year, LT will probably be gone, so powell will get his shot, probably.

as for having only 1 rb to execute ground/pound, i think the strategy is the problem, not the rbs. i hate ground/pound. i want a balanced, unpredictable offense with weapons everywhere. what i hate is having the HC announce to everyone what he intends to do on offense. screw ground and pound. use your weapons, like kerley, mcknight and holmes. use them all.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4255001]don't know how you can call powell a reach/waste when he's basically redshirted this year. next year, LT will probably be gone, so powell will get his shot, probably.

as for having only 1 rb to execute ground/pound, i think the strategy is the problem, not the rbs. i hate ground/pound. i want a balanced, unpredictable offense with weapons everywhere. what i hate is having the HC announce to everyone what he intends to do on offense. screw ground and pound. use your weapons, like kerley, mcknight and holmes. use them all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, great post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene has been an egg thoughout his entire career both in college and with the Jets.

His mean time between injuries is about 1.7 games.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shonn Greene has never bounced back up after a run in his entire life. I always worry that he'll be out of the game every time I see him on the ground. I would like a new feature back in there next year. Gotta roll with him this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4255001]don't know how you can call powell a reach/waste when he's basically redshirted this year. next year, LT will probably be gone, so powell will get his shot, probably.

as for having only 1 rb to execute ground/pound, i think the strategy is the problem, not the rbs. i hate ground/pound. i want a balanced, unpredictable offense with weapons everywhere. what i hate is having the HC announce to everyone what he intends to do on offense. screw ground and pound. use your weapons, like kerley, mcknight and holmes. use them all.[/QUOTE]

We are a running team though, that is our strength. Sanchez works the best with a good running game to set up the play action pass.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great Jim Brown used to rise from every carry as if he were dead just as Greene did yesterday, He did it for 10 seasons

Hoping Shonn is feeling closer to 100 percent next week and if not, rest him for a week since we can beat the Deadskins with SAR 1 as our starting RB

We need him fully healthy for our next tough opponent which will be against the number one seed on the road in the first week of the postseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]we can beat the Deadskins with SAR 1 as our starting RB[/QUOTE]

We are not good enough to say this about any team. If it wasnt for Steve "Butterfingers" johnson, we wouldnt even have beat the Bills yesterday.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Shonn Greene proved he is a man yesterday, rib injuries are no small thing. He played an excellent game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta say, I'm souring a little on Greene. McKnight just looks way better out there, his shiftiness and moves do more for him than Greene's "power running".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4255104]Gotta say, I'm souring a little on Greene. McKnight just looks way better out there, his shiftiness and moves do more for him than Greene's "power running".[/QUOTE]
    great change of pace guy, but he is too small for the every down role imho.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that his rib injury was still bothering him and he was out there toughing it out. When he would get up gingerly they would spell him with McKnight for a couple of carries till he got his wind back.

Idk how much longer this injury will linger however.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4254994]For a HC who wants to ground and pound we have one back who is a clasic running back and he can't stay healthy. How about the Jets actually draft a ground and pound back. Powell was a reach and a waste. McKnight is going to be a third down back once Tomlinson retires and they simply don't have confidence in him yet.

This falls on management.[/QUOTE]

I agree with August. Winston how can you call Powell a reach and a waste. Most rookies first couple of carries don't look like Adrian Peterson's. Even the kid out of Dallas needed a bunch of carries to get it going. A lot of people looked at Mcknight as a waste last year and he and CJ Spiller look like the same guy. I disagree with Joe being a 3rd down back but I do agree with this falling on management. I think you need a rotation with your running backs in this day and age. The guys are just too athletic and hit too damn hard. Sure they don't wrap up and tackle anymore but they basically try to blow you up every single play. Mcknight is a good change of pace back and if they set up a rotation at running back splitting everything with Greene and McKnight it would be much better. Like what the Giants did the year they won the superbowl. Mcknight runs real well between the tackles and I like what I've seen in those cutback runs .... 3rd down backs are usually passing threats who can block but can't run between the tackles. Joe can actually run between the tackles so I think he's an upgrade over that ...