Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's face it: The Jets are an average team

Let's face it: The Jets are an average team

If not for a wide open receive dropping a pass and a QB missing a wide open receiver in the end zone the Jets could have found themselves losers yesterday to a Buffalo team that is reeling. But these are the Jets who all too often don't play 4 quarters of football and think they are better than they actually are because of talk and bravado.

This is a team that wants to win now so we wind up going after players who are usually past their prime and expect them to play at championship level. We have aging receivers who are not as fast as they used to be and they can't get open because we have to leave more people in to help protect Sanchez.

I understand the need to "win now" because of the frustration so many of us have in not getting a championship in so long but either player are aging quickly or too many are not playing up to a highly competitive level as before. And on top of all this we expect Sanchez to carry the load for others who are not performing.

It adds up to the fact that we will not make the playoffs this year without a miracle. As much as I hate the Pats they went into Philadelphia and did what good teams do; they steppen on their throats and took it to them. This team just seems to do whatever is enough to win no more no less

If not for Sanchez having a brain fart, the Jets inexplicably putting Cro back there to catch a punt, and Cro tipping the ball to high on a great defensive play, this game is over by the early 3rd quarter (not to mentioned the dropped passes and blown routes by Holmes). Both teams got breaks, the Jets absolutely deserved to win this game.

There are no traditionally "elite" teams in the AFC this year. None.

The Raves lost to the Jags, Seahawks, and titants.

The Steelers almost lost to a guy named Palko last night.

The Texans might have to start Kellen Clemens this year.

The Chargers have lost 7 in a row.

The Pats should have lost three in a row had the Cowboys decided to actually try and get a first down during their last drive.

Jets Insider VIP
    No doubt about it. They're not bad but they're certainly not very good.

A quality team with playoff aspirations has to be more consistent on offense.

However, the two biggest things we're not doing well this year are...

1. Protecting our QB
    2. Getting to our opponents QB

HAVE TO do these two things if the Jets want to be legit. Right now, they're a very flawed team with a defense that keeps them in games.

Jets Insider VIP
    We are slightly above average as our 6-5 record indicates.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4255068]No doubt about it. They're not bad but they're certainly not very good.

A quality team with playoff aspirations has to be more consistent on offense.

However, the two biggest things we're not doing well this year are...

1. Protecting our QB
    2. Getting to our opponents QB

HAVE TO do these two things if the Jets want to be legit. Right now, they're a very flawed team with a defense that keeps them in games.[/QUOTE]

i thought yesterday the defense kept the bills in the game.

Rex said in his postgame that the only reason Cro returned that fumbled punt was because Leonhard had the wind knocked out of him on the play prior.

Kerley hopefully will be back next week.

[QUOTE=Chupa;4255061]If not for Sanchez having a brain fart, the Jets inexplicably putting Cro back there to catch a punt, and Cro tipping the ball to high on a great defensive play, this game is over by the early 3rd quarter (not to mentioned the dropped passes and blown routes by Holmes). Both teams got breaks, the Jets absolutely deserved to win this game.
    [/QUOTE]

Huh? How about if not for Buffalo's celebration penalty and botched kickoff it could have been over by halftime? Buffalo dropped a bunch of would-be INTs. This was a team that got blown out three straight weeks, was missing starters on the OL, the secondary and at RB and almost beat us in our building. We are garbage and anyone who doesn't realize it isn't being honest. I think Rex Grossman lights us up next week. It won't be a close game.

All League
    Making / missing the playoffs this year is a win-win.

Make it: typical Jets wildcard run
    Miss it: We get to fire Schotty, draft an elite WR like Floyd, and possibly hire a guy like Norv

A win-win. Just sit back and enjoy the ride folks

All Pro
    "You are what your record says you are!"

The Jets don't get the MOST out of their players.
    We are counting on too many players that have come from teams that didn't even want their services anymore.
    Holmes
    Plax
    Cromarty
    All talented & FLAWED players

Anyone that believes that these three guys are TEAM players haven't been paying attention.

Tone & his assinine 1st down shtick
    Plax & his now I'm playing, now I'm not act
    Cromarty dancing before receiving a kickoff only to fumble it & cost the Jets a chance at winning.

Don't get me wrong, these players have the ability to be HUGE in playoff games but it's getting TO THE PLAYOFFS that's hard with players that don't show up all the time.

Say what you want about Sanchez but the dude studies his ass off, plays to the final whistle & has taken some massive shots, dusted himself off & come back for more this year.

I think yesterday was the 1st time Shonn Greene has played hurt!
    Rex has far too much praise for the underachievers on this team. There are a lot of Jet players that needed more of a kick in the ass & instead they have Rex kissing their ass.
    Sometimes you need to hear the truth.
    The truth will be that we miss the playoffs.
    The truth hurts!

jets are an average team

that is correct.with all the changes in the roster this year.it was bound to happen.we lost starting r.t.w.r.d.e.plus other good subs.it really bothers me.that the jets filled their roster with a lot of undrafted free agents.teams like greenbay have gone in the opposite direction.they built their team.stricktly through the draft..I wish that tanny sees the handwriting on the wall and takes the jets in the same direction.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4255114]"You are what your record says you are!"[/QUOTE]Which is what everyone in this thread has said. In the spirit of taking the high road..... nice win, your team took care of business..... thats what a winning team SHOULD DO!

[QUOTE=Toooon;4255108]Huh? How about if not for Buffalo's celebration penalty and botched kickoff it could have been over by halftime? Buffalo dropped a bunch of would-be INTs. This was a team that got blown out three straight weeks, was missing starters on the OL, the secondary and at RB and almost beat us in our building. We are garbage and anyone who doesn't realize it isn't being honest. I think Rex Grossman lights us up next week. It won't be a close game.[/QUOTE]

huh? both teams got breaks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's the situation with the New York Jets, they always seem like they're about 2 seasons away from being a great team. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4255070]i thought yesterday the defense kept the bills in the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they kinda did.

I hope that game is simply a mulligan for Revis....although Johnson had some success in the first game against Revis as well. I'm coming to the conclusion that Fitzpatrick and Johnson are simply a tall order for Revis 1 on 1. He still does as good a job as anyone could, and most other teams probably give their CB more help or double team.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-28-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Chupa;4255061]If not for Sanchez having a brain fart, the Jets inexplicably putting Cro back there to catch a punt, and Cro tipping the ball to high on a great defensive play, this game is over by the early 3rd quarter (not to mentioned the dropped passes and blown routes by Holmes). Both teams got breaks, the Jets absolutely deserved to win this game.

There are no traditionally "elite" teams in the AFC this year. None.

The Raves lost to the Jags, Seahawks, and titants.

The Steelers almost lost to a guy named Palko last night.

The Texans might have to start Kellen Clemens this year.

The Chargers have lost 7 in a row.

The Pats should have lost three in a row had the Cowboys decided to actually try and get a first down during their last drive.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they did explain why Cro was back there catching punts. Leonard was banged up and not able to. But still it was a disaster.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Guitarjet;4255128]Which is what everyone in this thread has said. In the spirit of taking the high road..... nice win, your team took care of business..... thats what a winning team SHOULD DO![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I wasn't being critical, just repeating what a famous coach once
    said. BTW, that was a gutsy win for you guys as well. I know you are all
    looking for a nice easy crushing win but I don't think this is in the cards
    for your team this year. Toughing it out sometimes isn't a bad thing as it
    tends to build character (and give fans heart palpitations!) :yes:

I've kind of accepted this. It's like every week I keep waiting for them to wake up and become the elite team we all thought we were getting, but 11 games in, to me it is clear that that is not happening. They are a good team though with talent and if they make the playoffs, they are a threat to spring an upset. But for those who were thinking SB, this is our year, etc., through 11 games I've seen no evidence to back that up.

I think a stepback year is not the end of the world and we still have a shot at the playoffs if we can beat all the teams we're supposed to beat. I just don't know if we can, we're too inconsistent to reel off a big winning streak.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4255148]Yeah, they kinda did.

I hope that game is simply a Mulligan for Revis....although Johnson had some success in the first game against Revis as well. I'm coming to the conclusion that Fitzpatrick and Johnson are simply a tall order for Revis 1 on 1. He still does as good a job as anyone could, and most other teams probably give their CB more help or double team.[/QUOTE]

i'm not just talking about revis. scott and pace aren't making an impact in the passing game. the safeties are liabilities in coverage, regardless of who it is. tanny really needs to retool the defense so it can get off the field easier and not yield these monster, time-consuming drives.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;4255113]Miss it: We get to fire Schotty, draft an elite WR like Floyd, and possibly hire a guy like Norv

[/QUOTE]

Shotty just got a contract extension(why I could not tell you). He is not going anywhere.