Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Defense may not be as bad as it appears

All Pro

The Defense may not be as bad as it appears

In the final outcome,the Bills were sabbotaged by thier "Star" WR Stevie Johnson who had not 1,but 2 chances to send the Jets crashing after yet another defeat.When it came down to it,just like against the Broncos,the Defense let an offensive team drive the field for what should have been the winning score.

But Let's look at the game the way it played out,and ask ourselves this question.Was it the defense or did the offense and special team put the defense in Harm's Way.Take away the short field given the Bills by the INT and the fumbled punt,and what did the Bills offense actually do to the Defense.Against our defense,the Bills had 1 solid drive at the begining of the game which resulted in points and 1 at the end which didn't.Their only other scorind drive came as a result of yet another short drive and it took a 53 yard FG to gain those points.

Now throw in the fact that the Bills offense had drives of 7 and 8 minutes,combined with having to go right back out there after Cro's Fumbled punt,and was it really that bad.OK,what about the awesome effort it took by Brad Smith on the TD over Cro that should have been Pass INT on Smith,and was the defense really that Bad.

yesterday,we had a few things go against us,but we still managed to win.With 2 of the worst safties in pro football,and some of the worst LBers,we do a decent job of playing defense.If the other 2 parts of the NYJet team would give this defense some help instead of putting them In Harm's Way,this defense might be closer to #1 in the league than #10.

NO POSITIVE THREADS!!!!!

All Pro
    WOW, 150 posters looked at this thread but this team is so polarized by Sanchez Vs Shotty,that nothing else matters.

I support this thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I agree that the O puts the onus on the D time and time again, but this time the D managed to let an injury-depleted team score and control the ball. I'm not giving any game balls out for this effort. Pouha was good though.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4257506]WOW, 150 posters looked at this thread but this team is so polarized by Sanchez Vs Shotty,that nothing else matters.[/QUOTE]

i just think that, for the most part, Jets fans know that the defense is still the strength of this team.

it may not be as dominant as in previous years, and yes our safeties mostly suck, but it's still a Top-10 defense in most major categories. and the big weakness from early in the season has been corrected in recent weeks (rush D).

so when someone says "the defense is not as bad as it looked" i think everyone pretty much agrees.

All League
    The D's problem really is the safety position.

Most teams are finding sucess against us either with the TE's or floating a slot reciever to the deep middle of the formation. All of which is taken care of by the Strong Safety.

Two ways to fix this

1) Draft better options at Safety. Even someone who does a marginally good job at coverage and stopping the run will do us wonders. Smith is awful and Leonhard seems to have taken a step back since his injury.

2) Draft a pass rush. If you don't give the TE's and slot WRs time to get to the middle of the field every play you win

Personally I'd go against popular demand and go with safeties. You can't always rely on your pass rush no matter how good your OLB's are. Games go on and guys get tired

Veteran
    They got Beaten by Tebow, embarrassed by the Pats, and should have been beaten by the injury laden Bills. I'm sorry, but they are losers right now. They are not lifting.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;4257680]I agree that the O puts the onus on the D time and time again, but this time the D managed to let an injury-depleted team score and control the ball. I'm not giving any game balls out for this effort. Pouha was good though.[/QUOTE]

But remember the onus has always been placed on the defense in seasons past. Yet, this season they cannot hold the fort the way they had in 09 and 10. That tells me that the offense is at least as bad, if not worse than seasons past and the defense cannot handle all the weight being placed on them.

I mean look at their stats against the run game. Is that a Rex Ryan defense? Obviously not.

So what I see is both the offense and defense has gotten worse. And I can understand the defense falling off a little. They got a year older and didn't get much in the way of youth from the draft. Ellis has hardly played.

The offense is what is so disappointing. They were SUPPOSED to start to carry the team. On the contrary, Schotty has been as bad as ever and Sanchez has clearly regressed.

So I think both sides needs work.

All Pro
    I agree that the offense and ST did put the defense in a couple of tough positions, but I have a hard time saying that the defense played well on Sunday. Two times the defense was given a short field to defend, but they didn't defend it. You have to be able to force a field goal on at least one of those two drives to limit the damage. They controlled the run well, but their pass defense was poor. They got some help from the Bills, and I guess you could say they played well enough to eek out a win, but they are going to have to play better over this last month if they are going to get a wildcard spot.

[QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4257688]The D's problem really is the safety position.

Most teams are finding sucess against us either with the TE's or floating a slot reciever to the deep middle of the formation. All of which is taken care of by the Strong Safety.

Two ways to fix this

1) Draft better options at Safety. Even someone who does a marginally good job at coverage and stopping the run will do us wonders. Smith is awful and Leonhard seems to have taken a step back since his injury.

2) Draft a pass rush. If you don't give the TE's and slot WRs time to get to the middle of the field every play you win

Personally I'd go against popular demand and go with safeties. You can't always rely on your pass rush no matter how good your OLB's are. Games go on and guys get tired[/QUOTE]

Good post and completely agree. Fix the safety position or improve the pass rush and this team gets off the field more often on 3rd down.

Or the Jets could do both and boast a championship-caliber unit (with just a little LB help of course).

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;4257689]They got Beaten by Tebow, embarrassed by the Pats, and should have been beaten by the injury laden Bills. I'm sorry, but they are losers right now. They are not lifting.[/QUOTE]

The Jets defense played a strong game against the Bills and the Broncos and got no help from the offense or special teams.As a matter of fact,those 2 areas sabbotaged the effort of the Defense with turnovers.Against the Pats,the game was close until the offense started giving the ball to the Pats over and over.
    When you are constantly put in harm's way,sooner or later you just might catch a bullet.We caught a few and on last sunday,we dodged 1.

There are maybe 3 or 4 defenses as good or slightly better than the Jets in my eyes. The Jets problem is the same as it always is, giving up big plays at the wrong time. They played a perfect game against Tebow until the important last drive. Granted if the offense wasn't pathetic the last drive would have been meaningless, but still, I don't think the Ravens give up that last TD drive to Tebow.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4257728]But remember the onus has always been placed on the defense in seasons past. Yet, this season they cannot hold the fort the way they had in 09 and 10. That tells me that the offense is at least as bad, if not worse than seasons past and the defense cannot handle all the weight being placed on them.

I mean look at their stats against the run game. Is that a Rex Ryan defense? Obviously not.

So what I see is both the offense and defense has gotten worse. And I can understand the defense falling off a little. They got a year older and didn't get much in the way of youth from the draft. Ellis has hardly played.

The offense is what is so disappointing. They were SUPPOSED to start to carry the team. On the contrary, Schotty has been as bad as ever and Sanchez has clearly regressed.

So I think both sides needs work.[/QUOTE]

The offense and special teams need work,but the defense need players.Our safties are the worst in football and our Lbers the slowest.Bad combination when trying to defend the short /intermediate zone.

nothing can obscure the fact that the defense has given up critical drives when it really, really needed a stop:

- denver game. nuff said
    - NE game at NE: couldn't stop NE at end of game.
    - NE game at home: gave up td right before half.
    - buff game: would have given up td if wr didn't drop easy td pass

the defense hasn't been clutch. even if it stopped denver, the jets would be 8-5 with a relatively easy schedule. and maybe, just maybe, the jets eek out the 2nd NE game if they don't give up that td before halftime and come out looking more alive in the 2nd half.

we all know the defense is better than the offense. who really doesn't believe that? but that doesn't mean the defense is really good, or that the defense is MUCH better than the offense. in terms of clutch play, the defense really hasn't been anything special this year. and that's the problem here.

I think for the most part the defense plays a good portion of the game tired. We have way too many 3 and outs and dont control time of possession.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4258468]nothing can obscure the fact that the defense has given up critical drives when it really, really needed a stop:

- denver game. nuff said
    - NE game at NE: couldn't stop NE at end of game.
    - NE game at home: gave up td right before half.
    - buff game: would have given up td if wr didn't drop easy td pass

the defense hasn't been clutch. even if it stopped denver, the jets would be 8-5 with a relatively easy schedule. and maybe, just maybe, the jets eek out the 2nd NE game if they don't give up that td before halftime and come out looking more alive in the 2nd half.

we all know the defense is better than the offense. who really doesn't believe that? but that doesn't mean the defense is really good, or that the defense is MUCH better than the offense. in terms of clutch play, the defense really hasn't been anything special this year. and that's the problem here.[/QUOTE]

On offense we have quality or supposed quality at every level.In the backfield,they have Sanchez a top 5 pick.On the OL,they have the best center in football and a probowl LT.They have a Star or supposed Star at WR and at TE.

On Defense,they are missing a Pure NT,they have the worst safeties in footballand the slowest LBers possibly in the league.Without Revis,this defense stinks.Just examine last week's game for evidence.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 3 TDs, 0 INTs, nearly 300 yards, and had a passer rating well over 100. Had Johnson caught that ball and took it in, it would have been 4 TDs and a passer rating of probably like 140+. The D did not play well, come on now. Fitzpatrick is the same guy who people were laughing at about his contract extension coming into this game because he had been playing like such a jag. He repeatedly found open guys and there was barely any pass rush. If he can do that, what can Brady do? Oh that's right, see Sunday night 3 weeks ago.

It's not the level of play anyone expects from a Rex Ryan defense. Is it is bad as what we saw from the Giants on Monday night? No, but that isn't saying much....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4258489]I think for the most part the defense plays a good portion of the game tired. We have way too many 3 and outs and dont control time of possession.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem with the Jets defense.The age,and lack of speed on the Defense shows up after this defense is on the field all day.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This D is good, with help from the O it will be very good, with a couple of positions filled it could be great.