Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santonio Holmes Needs to adjust his game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Santonio Holmes Needs to adjust his game

I am a huge Tone fan. He is clutch as they come, including yesterday's TD and the miraculous catch to win the SB against the Cardinals. With that being said, the dropped passes by him continue to accumulate. Last season he had 8 in 12 games. I dont know the actual drops this year, but I would venture to say its about the same or even more. I guess the dropped TD yesterday was a great play by the corner knocking it loose. But the 30 yard pass from Sanchez in their own endzone on 3rd and long was inexcusable.

It has been well documented that Holmes (even by his own comments)puts up his hands in position to make a catch extremely late. He says he does this to give him the advantage of not letting the corner know when the ball is coming. But after his numerous drops, I think its fair to say the negatives of doing this far outweighs the positives. He is dropping critical passes. We would all have a much different opinion of him had we not drove in the last minute against Indy in the playoff game last year. He dropped the critical 3rd and 5 pass that led to the Colts go ahead field goal at the time. Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    its hard to run full speed, and catch a ball thats 2 feet behind ya

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;4255251]its hard to run full speed, and catch a ball thats 2 feet behind ya[/QUOTE]

Yep.

How about Sanchez adjusts his game to be accurate and not laser 5 yard passes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mikey Z 6;4255251]its hard to run full speed, and catch a ball thats 2 feet behind ya[/QUOTE]

the 30 yd pass in the op's post was right in the bread basket.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4255256]the 30 yd pass in the op's post was right in the bread basket.[/QUOTE]

+1

Sanchez isn't always accurate, but that was a money throw that should have been caught.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the washington post he doesn't even make the list of top 20 in passes dropped in the AFC which would put him at fewer than 4 drops this year.

[url]http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez could stand to be a bit more accurate.

HOWEVER, when he IS accurate, Holmes is doing what many here taunt Braylon for doing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4255264]According to the washington post he doesn't even make the list of top 20 in passes dropped in the AFC which would put him at fewer than 4 drops this year.

[url]http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=AFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=[/url][/QUOTE]

Cause he doesn't get open enough to warrant enough throws in his direction. Holmes is trash.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4255269]Cause he doesn't get open enough to warrant enough throws in his direction. Holmes is trash.[/QUOTE]

He's trash? :rolleyes:

Can we be a little more objective?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4255269]Cause he doesn't get open enough to warrant enough throws in his direction. Holmes is trash.[/QUOTE]

Or he's doubled all the time and the offensive coordinator is trash.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4255277]He's trash? :rolleyes:

Can we be a little more objective?[/QUOTE]

Holmes is probably the most over rated reciever in the game betsides maybe Reggie Wayne.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4255286]Holmes is probably the most over rated reciever in the game betsides maybe Reggie Wayne.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the guy is a top 10 receiver or anything, but it's very obvious that he's much better than "trash". He had a lot of drops last year, but did he this year? I can't remember too many and according to the Washington Post he has fewer than 4.

Wasn't that deep pass yesterday that the OP is talking about to Keller?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the play that pissed me off personaly was when he was wide open going to the end zone and tripped...which resulted in a missed FG (pats game i think)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes isn't trash. Schotty doesn't know what to do with him and Sanchez's accuracy is inconsistent. Sanchez and Holmes also don't seem to have much chemsitry, there are a lot of miscommunications with those two.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    why do people expect holmes to be a guy that catched 10 balls a game and has 1500 yards? the guy was never that type of a player...his value is his late game play...not his season stats.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;4255267]Sanchez could stand to be a bit more accurate.

HOWEVER, when he IS accurate, Holmes is doing what many here taunt Braylon for doing.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/Shaking_head.gif[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with inaccuracy is not so much with the flat out uncatchable balls. The larger problem is with the hospital paases which put the receiver in harm's way. Eventually even the toughest of receivers are going to stop laying out for those passes because they have their own family and career to think about.

In my opinion this is Sanchez' biggest single problem because it will lead to him losing his receiving corps if he hasn't already.
    Last edited by EM31; 11-28-2011 at 01:25 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is a NFL WR for Christ sakes so what if the pass isn't perfect as long as its in your area make the play..

WR's around league making crazy plays week in and week out.. Where they have to adjust on the fly.

But our $50 million doller guy needs a perfect pass before he can make play. Say what u about Braylon but there plenty of times the guy would pogo stick and snatch a pass out air although it wasn't a perfect pass.

That 1 handed grab by plax is a great example why he used to be such a great WR.. That ball wasnt perfect thrown but he adjusted on the fly and made a damn play that would make Cris Carter blush.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4255396][IMG]http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/Shaking_head.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Now that's a killer 'fro, brutha!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4255385]why do people expect holmes to be a guy that catched 10 balls a game and has 1500 yards? the guy was never that type of a player...his value is his late game play...not his season stats.[/QUOTE]

This!!!

He was never a #1 WR so why in Gods name did we think we could make him one???????????????