Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Doesn't Rex Seem to Coach???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Doesn't Rex Seem to Coach???

Something I've noticed while watching the games this year, and I'm not sure how long it's been this way - but why do the cameras never catch Rex actually doing any coaching on the sidelines??

They'll catch him yelling at the refs,

or fist-pumping and yelling, "BAM!",

or cursing briefly into his headset,

or yukking it up and chest-pumping his players.

But when was the last time we've seen him on the sideline, y'know - talking to a player, or a coach - giving helpful instruction or inspiration???

It seems that every time they've put him on camera over the last couple of games he's been walking around with that slack-jawed expression, sometimes saying nothing for up to 10 seconds.

Obviously when things are going poorly you'll notice these things more often, but it's been driving me crazy. Might've been exactly the same when things are going well, but of course you don't notice then...

Anyone else?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't argue that one. Always walking the sideline. Never off the white. Never near the bench. Good point

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point? When youre watching the game, they don't have the camera on rex the whole time. How do you know what rex is doing during the game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been driving me nuts - pointed it out to my wife and my son during the Denver debacle, and we've been paying attention to it. We see other coaches doing it (except for Norv Turner, so Rex has great company there...), but not ours.

And when the camera is on him for 15 seconds and he is speechless it infuriates me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Good point? When youre watching the game, they don't have the camera on rex the whole time. How do you know what rex is doing during the game?
    1. I don't.
    2. Neither do you.
    3. He is always on camera, by himself, and if he's talking it's never to a player unless it's guffawing and hamming it up.
    4. He's not exactly fleet of foot, so if he's on the white and he's not out of breath I feel it's safe to assume he has been there for a bit...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he doesn't. He stands there and watches the game. That sheet he has doesn't even really have plays on it. He's fooling everyone out there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know just as much as every one of you, which isn't much. Yet common sense says coaching is done in the class room and the film room. There's no time for coaches to coach during the game. Coaches prepare players during the week, players play on Sundays. It's as simple as that. All Rex/Pettine have to do is call the plays, what's the point of acting like a cheerleader when your instructions are drilled in the players brains all week.

Why can't us fans just enjoy the game on Sundays and get back to life during the week? Who ****ing cares what these guys do? You're just a spectator. Spectate.

EDIT: Removed a bad word.
    Last edited by david1023; 11-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    I know just as much as every one of you, which isn't much. Yet common sense says coaching is done in the class room and the film room. There's no time for coaches to coach during the game. Coaches prepare players during the week, players play on Sundays. It's as simple as that. All Rex/Pettine have to do is call the plays, what's the point of acting like a cheerleader when your instructions are drilled in your brain all week.

Why can't us fans just enjoy the game on Sundays and get back to life during the week? Who ****ing cares what these guys do? You're just a spectator. Spectate.

EDIT: Removed a bad word.
    Then why do I notice other coaches doing it?? And if Schotty calls the offense, and Pettine the D, and Westhoff the special teams - why have the head coach there at all??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Because he doesn't. He stands there and watches the game. That sheet he has doesn't even really have plays on it. He's fooling everyone out there.

Yea.......I guess it has the phone #'s of all the local fast food joints.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edcopp View Post
    Then why do I notice other coaches doing it?? And if Schotty calls the offense, and Pettine the D, and Westhoff the special teams - why have the head coach there at all??
    You see 5 second clips of them once a week. What do you know that we don't and why do you care? This thread sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    See? Slack-jawed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well he has no involvement in the offense, so he's only got specials and defense. and westhoff is in charge of specials. so rex probably discusses defense with pettine during the game. isn't that what most think anyway?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you people are ****ing lost and don't deserve a legitimate response.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david1023 View Post
    I know just as much as every one of you, which isn't much. Yet common sense says coaching is done in the class room and the film room. There's no time for coaches to coach during the game. Coaches prepare players during the week, players play on Sundays. It's as simple as that. All Rex/Pettine have to do is call the plays, what's the point of acting like a cheerleader when your instructions are drilled in the players brains all week.
    Agree with this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

you can frame it if you'd like.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

you can frame it if you'd like.
    I just found one of him talking to a player that he inspired to a good performance yesterday:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edcopp View Post
    I just found one of him talking to a player that he inspired to a good performance yesterday:

That picture wasn't from yesterday's game. And with that, let's send this thread to where it belongs.