Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Running Back Position

All Pro

The Running Back Position

In recent weeks the topic has been addressed quite a few times when talking about Joe McKnight or Shonn Greene. Now how do we assess our running back situation?! For a team that prides itself on its ground game and their ability to run the football we really haven't had a big time running back, a game changer lining up behind Sanchez in the last three years. Thomas Jones had a Pro Bowl year but we also featured propably the best OLine in football in 2009, Greene and LT had solid seasons last year but neither did anything special. This year, with the line struggling, our backs are putting up pedestrian numbers.

Now the problem I have with our current assertment of backs is that neither is a game changer or will do anything out of the ordinary to gain yards. Greene is a big bruiser but we are still waiting for him to break out and as the RB for a team like us should, take over games. He is a walking injury concern aswell. McKnight is a very good receiver out of the backfield but as a runner he lacks vision and ability. Yesterday against the Bills there were two or three runs where he could have broken it into the open field but instead got tackled in space. He made a number of bad cuts on the second level. I won't say anything bad about Bilal Powell as he hasn't really gotten a chance but in the end we also can't say anything good about him. Greene, LT and McKnight all had different issues this year (injury, fumbles, bad play) and the fact that Powell hasn't taken advantage might be a red flag.

I know that running back is a position where you in general can get by without a special talent but I think considering that we are one of the few teams in this league that really has to run the ball in order to be effective, the situation might be a bit different for the Jets.

So now, what is your opinion?! Do we need an upgrade at running back? What if guys like Trent Richardson or Lamar Miller somehow fall to us in the draft? Does Shonn Greene get another chance next year??

I miss Curtis Martin.

I wouldnt draft a running back early we have too many other needs.

Hall Of Fame
    Absolutely no RBs before the 4th round. That is unless Barry Sanders is available.

RBs are a dime a dozen, some of the best ones in the league now weren't even drafted.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;4255705]In recent weeks the topic has been addressed quite a few times when talking about Joe McKnight or Shonn Greene. Now how do we assess our running back situation?! For a team that prides itself on its ground game and their ability to run the football we really haven't had a big time running back, a game changer lining up behind Sanchez in the last three years. Thomas Jones had a Pro Bowl year but we also featured propably the best OLine in football in 2009, Greene and LT had solid seasons last year but neither did anything special. This year, with the line struggling, our backs are putting up pedestrian numbers.

Now the problem I have with our current assertment of backs is that neither is a game changer or will do anything out of the ordinary to gain yards. Greene is a big bruiser but we are still waiting for him to break out and as the RB for a team like us should, take over games. He is a walking injury concern aswell. McKnight is a very good receiver out of the backfield but as a runner he lacks vision and ability. Yesterday against the Bills there were two or three runs where he could have broken it into the open field but instead got tackled in space. He made a number of bad cuts on the second level. I won't say anything bad about Bilal Powell as he hasn't really gotten a chance but in the end we also can't say anything good about him. Greene, LT and McKnight all had different issues this year (injury, fumbles, bad play) and the fact that Powell hasn't taken advantage might be a red flag.

I know that running back is a position where you in general can get by without a special talent but I think considering that we are one of the few teams in this league that really has to run the ball in order to be effective, the situation might be a bit different for the Jets.

So now, what is your opinion?! Do we need an upgrade at running back? What if guys like Trent Richardson or Lamar Miller somehow fall to us in the draft? Does Shonn Greene get another chance next year??[/QUOTE]

McKnight will get much more playing time despite the hate mail. I think we will get a veteran RB to back up Greene next year and Powell will get more of a chance as well. Our defensive needs are much greater at this time plus our need for a FAST receiver.

people talk about game changers well who are these players? Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson? Both injured at points this year, both cost 1st rounders. Im sure the Jets are always looking for game changers at every position. They are tough to find.

Hall Of Fame
    If you upgrade the turnstile that is currently playing RT, you get a better running game with the current backs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

There would be a logjam at RB if the Jets were to draft one next season. Even if the Jets don't bring back LT, you've got Greene, McKnight and Powell. Which one would they give up on?

The only guy you think about drafting high as far as HB is concerned is Trent Richardson. And even that is debatable.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4255726]Absolutely no RBs before the 4th round. That is unless Barry Sanders is available.

RBs are a dime a dozen, some of the best ones in the league now weren't even drafted.[/QUOTE]

This is a bit of a fallacy. Like any other position you increase the odds of getting a good player the higher you draft them.

About 2/3 of the current RB group that are having a reasonable impact this year were draft in rounds 1,2,3.

There are exceptions for sure and this team has enough needs that we certainly don't have to go looking for a back early.

Practice Squad
    As you said in your post, the o line is one of the biggest reasons for not having as strong a running game as we used to. If we fix the o line Greene will put up better numbers.

All Pro
    I really hope that Bilal Powell can become a contributor. Every time I saw him (in college, preseason) I thought he looked pretty good and has a chance to have an impact in the NFL, especially when our line is blocking the way it was against Buffalo.

who was the back that barely made the team during hard knocks....he was put on the Jets PS and then snatched up by another team (not Woodballs)

[QUOTE=JFB;4255806]who was the back that barely made the team during hard knocks....he was put on the Jets PS and then snatched up by another team (not Woodballs)[/QUOTE]

chauncy washington??

Greene is fine. He needs a better O-line. Jets could get another 3rd down back. McKnight is ok but not great.

As for the draft goes we have an enormous hole at Safety and also need ILB, RT, and OLB more urgently than RB.

Well it's worth mentioning that Matt Forte's going to be a free agent.

It's really a question of how big a step you wager on Sanchez taking next year.

While RB's have become more expendable than in past years, we really should look at upgrading this position or giving McKnight more carries.

Fumbles or not, he's got some serious explosion in his legs. LT still does, too.

But that's not to say that Arian Foster, Forte, or Adrian Peterson would be easily replaced should their teams lose them.

I guess it really will depend on who the offensive coordinator is next year. Extension or not, Schott has to go.

[QUOTE=PMarsico9;4255843]Well it's worth mentioning that Matt Forte's going to be a free agent.

It's really a question of how big a step you wager on Sanchez taking next year.

While RB's have become more expendable than in past years, we really should look at upgrading this position or giving McKnight more carries.

Fumbles or not, he's got some serious explosion in his legs. LT still does, too.

But that's not to say that Arian Foster, Forte, or Adrian Peterson would be easily replaced should their teams lose them.

I guess it really will depend on who the offensive coordinator is next year. Extension or not, Schott has to go.[/QUOTE]

If we had Ratliff instead of Sanchez we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Greene would be averaging 6 ypc b/c teams would be so scared of our passing attack.

running back is probably the easiest position in modern football to replace.

now i'm sure some are gonna misread this and assume i mean super easy to do, and we should do it post haste, when in reality i mean of all the positions to replace, its one of the easier ones.

so with all that said, i don't think RB is anywhere on our list of priorities.

Greene's problem this year, to me, has been this dancing at teh LOS thing that Thomas Jones did all the time that drove me nuts. one huge gain, than 20+ tippy tap bull**** carries netting 1.5 ypc. instead of driving through the damn hole. its like the zone scheme is taking too long to develop up front and our RBs are forced to wait a bit longer than they should.

Jets Insider VIP
    Next year go with Greene and mcnight. If it does work out, then address the issue in 2013. I think greene and mcknigh will be fine next year.

[QUOTE=TerminatorJet;4255826]Greene is fine. He needs a better O-line. Jets could get another 3rd down back. McKnight is ok but not great.

As for the draft goes we have an enormous hole at Safety and also need ILB, RT, and OLB more urgently than RB.[/QUOTE]

+1.