Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15mo old at game?

All League

15mo old at game?

Sunday, the guy two seats down from me arrived with three little boys. One was about 8, the second was 5, and the you gets was 15 months old. He said the Jets let infants in for free. WTF?

My daughter is 14 months old and I would never think of trying to sit through a game with her. Frankly, it would be cruel to take a child that age to a game.

You need to integrate the Jets fandom when they are young, otherwise they will not be ready to live with the disappointment of being a Jets fan when they are older ;)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;4255951]
    My daughter is 14 months old and I would never think of trying to sit through a game with her. Frankly, it would be cruel to take a child that age to a game.[/QUOTE]

But you see, that is good parenting skills, a dying art these days. Instead of doing what adults use to do for their children, sacrifice, they would rather just bring along a 15 month old to induce hearing loss and dampen your experience with crying.

A family that plays together stays together. I applaud the family that takes alot of effort.

I didnt take my son until he was 4.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=GoBigGreen;4255974]But you see, that is good parenting skills, a dying art these days. Instead of doing what adults use to do for their children, sacrifice, they would rather just bring along a 15 month old to [B]induce hearing loss[/B] and dampen your experience with crying.[/QUOTE]

I don't usually focus on it but when I took my son to a preseason game this year, I remember it being very loud for him. It may have been louder than usual (or perhaps we were near a speaker) but he was a bit skittish just from the music.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Yeah that's ****ing nuts. Even under the age of 10 is too young IMO -- kids at that age are too ansty and all over the place to pay attention for an entire quarter, let alone a whole game.

Yesterday a guy sitting behind me had his young son at the game. I guess it was a nice father/son moment, but it was ruined because the dad did a half-assed running commentary of the whole game to keep the kid engaged.

"And here Sanchez is waiting for the ball... waiting... Ok here comes the play, I think it's going to be a running play... Sanchez has the ball now and gives it Shonn Greene, and he only gets about 3 yards... Oh wow, 2nd and 2, he did better than I thought. And now Sanchez is getting ready to get the ball again..."

All in a ****ing sing-song voice. FOR THE WHOLE GAME.

Jets Insider VIP
    There's two things I won't be doing any time soon:
    1) Bringing my kid to a game until I feel he's at an appropriate age.
    2) Pointing the finger and judging another parent for their personal decisions.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4255986]There's two things I won't be doing any time soon:
    2) Pointing the finger and judging another parent for their personal decisions.[/QUOTE]

Well if we can't be mercilessly judgmental towards total strangers, then what's the point of the Internet?

All Pro
    I took my 7 year old yesterday and he had such a blast. He was yelling and cheering like crazy. It was his first regular season game (he has been to a few preseason games). He keeps asking to go (we have season tickets) but I didn't think he was ready until we had a last minute cancel. He is definitely ready and I had so much fun with him yesterday. Of course, I would only probably bring him to a 1:00 game since we live 2 hours away and anything later than a 1:00 game would get us home too late.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4255986]There's two things I won't be doing any time soon:
    2) Pointing the finger and judging another parent for their personal decisions.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the keep your head down, speak/hear/say no evil, "how dare you tell me how to live my life" culture. If you are bringing a child to an event where you have sustained levels of noise around 100 decibels (louder than a jet engine) that borders on child abuse. We may be grown up and don't care, but a child doesn't get to make that choice. It's commonsense and how dare I judge someone who lacks it at the expense of their kid.

Veteran
    It has nothing to do with antse or anything like that, it has everything to do with complete irrisponsibility and lack of parrenting skills.

when you make that choice to have children, you agree to sacrifice for the good of the children and put your children ahead of yourself. I see way to often peice of garbage people doing the completely wrong thing to satisfy themselves, putting their children in harmas way or places they never should be. Stay the f--k home loser, you being at the game is not more important than your toddlers well being. :mad:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SendaFrizbee;4255994]I took my 7 year old yesterday and he had such a blast. He was yelling and cheering like crazy. It was his first regular season game (he has been to a few preseason games). He keeps asking to go (we have season tickets) but I didn't think he was ready until we had a last minute cancel. He is definitely ready and I had so much fun with him yesterday. Of course, I would only probably bring him to a 1:00 game since we live 2 hours away and anything later than a 1:00 game would get us home too late.[/QUOTE]

But of course, I will not be taking my 2 year old for a few years. At least he is old enough to get it. My 7 year old played football one year, so he was ready to go watch it live and had such a good time.

Hall Of Fame
    I wouldn't take a child under 7 to a game. But that is just me.

I think if they are old enough to play then they are old enough to attend a game.

Truth is good parents are few and far between. Kids get raised by the TV. I remember my mom being home everyday and picking me up from school. That stuff is rare nowadays. Looking back I realize how lucky I was. Many reasons why kids are the way they are. We can be here for days discussing this.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-28-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4255981]Yeah that's ****ing nuts. Even under the age of 10 is too young IMO -- kids at that age are too ansty and all over the place to pay attention for an entire quarter, let alone a whole game.

Yesterday a guy sitting behind me had his young son at the game. I guess it was a nice father/son moment, but it was ruined because the dad did a half-assed running commentary of the whole game to keep the kid engaged.

"And here Sanchez is waiting for the ball... waiting... Ok here comes the play, I think it's going to be a running play... Sanchez has the ball now and gives it Shonn Greene, and he only gets about 3 yards... Oh wow, 2nd and 2, he did better than I thought. And now Sanchez is getting ready to get the ball again..."

All in a ****ing sing-song voice. FOR THE WHOLE GAME.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the reason why Football God invented VIP suites in NFL stadiums.

Practice Squad
    Took my 7 yo daughter yesterday. Her first game. Great weather, and she had a blast. Jets chants, hi-fiving... great time. Yeah, did she do the 'daddy's smart phone' thing for the whole 3rd quarter, sure. Still had a great time.

I personally felt that she was now 'ready' after fearing the 'climb all over the place' for the first 6 years of her life.

Let me clue you guys in on a little something. In most towns Pop Warner starts at age 5 for flag football. When my son played they started at 8 so me taking him to games between the ages of 5-8 were priceless. Once he started playing on Sundays we couldnt go until it got really cold and it wasnt a pleasant game as I always worried about him being cold.

Dont knock anyone for bringing kids to the game they are the future fans.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4255988]Well if we can't be mercilessly judgmental towards total strangers, then what's the point of the Internet?[/QUOTE]

P O R N

Seriously though, wtf. If you feel so strongly about it, have some balls and say something to the guy's face instead of whining about it anonymously pn a message board. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by JetPotato; 11-28-2011 at 10:40 PM.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4256170]Let me clue you guys in on a little something. In most towns Pop Warner starts at age 5 for flag football. When my son played they started at 8 so me taking him to games between the ages of 5-8 were priceless. Once he started playing on Sundays we couldnt go until it got really cold and it wasnt a pleasant game as I always worried about him being cold.

[B]Dont knock anyone for bringing kids to the game they are the future fans.[/B][/QUOTE]

not if they're too young to enjoy it causing them to hate it

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GoBigGreen;4256002]Welcome to the keep your head down, speak/hear/say no evil, "how dare you tell me how to live my life" culture. If you are bringing a child to an event where you have sustained levels of noise around 100 decibels (louder than a jet engine) that borders on child abuse. We may be grown up and don't care, but a child doesn't get to make that choice. It's commonsense and how dare I judge someone who lacks it at the expense of their kid.[/QUOTE]

Child abuse :rolleyes:

It's a Jets game. We barely make a whimper. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking we're New Orleans fans.

Like I said, I wouldn't do it either, for different reasons. But I'm not arrogant enough to believe what some stranger does with their kid is any of my damn business.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4256174]not if they're too young to enjoy it causing them to hate it[/QUOTE]

Disagree the first time my son walked out of the hallway and into the open where the seats are he still talks about it. Its all about how you make the experience. It was the first football game ever suspended by lightning and rain against the Colts. We still talk about it.