Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Ellis not doing much as a Patriot

Shaun Ellis not doing much as a Patriot

[QUOTE]Patriots DE Shaun Ellis was benched for Brandon Deaderick in the Patriots' Week 11 game against the Chiefs.
    Ellis left the locker room quickly after the game, and already coming off the field on passing downs he could find himself planted on the bench. Barring an unexpected development, his one year, $4 million contract will be considered a waste. Nov 22
    [/QUOTE]

Some people made it a big deal about not bringing him back, the Jets saw he was declining.

He came us big for us in big games the past few years, but everyone knew he was on the decline. It just hurts to see a Jet like Ellis go to a rival team.

Hes still making $4 million more than he would have here. The NFL is a business.

If they cut him, do we sign him??? I say YES!!

All Pro
    Belicheck is such a genius :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4255991]Belicheck is such a genius :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Just imagine if the Patriots had picked up some worthwhile players in the offseason, instead of Haynesworth, Ochocinco, and Ellis. Thank god for the AFC that they didn't. They could be the clear choice favorites, but instead are just slight favorites due to the weakness of the conference. Even still, considering their performance against teams with a quality pass rush in the past 2+ years, I wouldn't put any money on them beating Baltimore or Pittsburgh in a postseason game. Not saying they wouldn't beat them, I just wouldn't have any confidence in them doing it.

[QUOTE=carlito1171;4255991]Belicheck is such a genius :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

He is running the team straight into the ground with his horrendous personnel decisions.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4256001]He is running the team straight into the ground with his horrendous personnel decisions.[/QUOTE]

lol...

he really is though, but Brady is just too good.

sans Brady = 2011 Colts :eek: :D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4256004]lol...

sans Brady = 2011 Colts :eek: :D[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Without Brady they still win 10+games this year.

All League
    [QUOTE=AFCEastFan;4256001]He is running the team straight into the ground with his horrendous personnel decisions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Gronkowski and Hernandez have been terrible...:D

Having said that I forgot Ellis was on the team until reading the post...that's not good.;)

[QUOTE=Funaz;4256008]I disagree. Without Brady they still win 10+games this year.[/QUOTE]

not with that defense, and not without Brady spotting them double-digit leads pretty much every game.

they wouldn't be as bad as the Colts, but they wouldn't be in playoff contention, either.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4255978]Hes still making $4 million more than he would have here. The NFL is a business.[/QUOTE]

If the Pats give me $4 million, I'm rooting for them.

They tried that once with a QB that never started a game since high school and they did pretty good.

[QUOTE=rep;4256000]Just imagine if the Patriots had picked up some worthwhile players in the offseason, instead of Haynesworth, Ochocinco, and Ellis. Thank god for the AFC that they didn't. They could be the clear choice favorites, but instead are just slight favorites due to the weakness of the conference. Even still, considering their performance against teams with a quality pass rush in the past 2+ years, I wouldn't put any money on them beating Baltimore or Pittsburgh in a postseason game. Not saying they wouldn't beat them, I just wouldn't have any confidence in them doing it.[/QUOTE]

The Pats did pick up worth while players in the offseason, just not the ones expected. Brian Waters is arguably one of the best RG in the league right now. Andre Carter is seventh in sacks with 9.5. Mark Anderson is 15th with 7. Those two combined have only 5.5 less sacks than the Jets have as an entire team. Both have allowed the Pats to have a pretty good pass rush to hide the fact that their secondary is so depleted. They have other minor acquisitions that have been decent in roles or fill ins like James Ihedigbo, Antwaun Molden, and Sterling Moore.

I never thought Ellis would do much and felt he was a waste of money, but the Pats have brought in several free agents who have done a lot for the team.

In fact, the Jets player from last year who the Pats acquired who's loss is hurting the Jets right now more than Ellis is Ihedigbo. He is no star, but he has been a decent enough starter for the Pats and played far better than Eric Smith. He would have been an upgrade for the Jets right now.

Right now, the Pats are clearly better than the Jets. No their marquee offseason moves haven't panned out, but their more under the radar ones have worked out great.

True that. A top QB like Brady can mask a whole lot of personnel gaffes.

But I've always thought BB has been fair to middlin' overall with his personnel decisions. Some big hits, some embarrassing misses. Like most of the other teams in the league.

For every Shaun Ellis or Fat Albert there is an Andre Carter or Mark Anderson. For all the wasted TE draft picks over the years, there are Hernandez and Gronkowski. For all of the hype over Ochostinkos lack of production, Brian Waters has quietly stepped in from the scrap heap and become perhaps the team's best offensive lineman.

That is why I think the Patriots would be closer to 8-8 than 0-16 without Brady. Check out Bill Polian's record of "talent" acquisition over the last few year's to see what personnel mismanagement really looks like. Curtis Painter would be the 5th best QB on the Patriots' roster (behind Brady, the Hoyer brothers and Mallett). A QB that incompetent would never even make it out of training camp on a Belichick-assembled roster, let alone play any meaningful snaps or -- God forbid -- become a full-time starter.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4256014]not with that defense, and not without Brady spotting them double-digit leads pretty much every game.

they wouldn't be as bad as the Colts, but they wouldn't be in playoff contention, either.[/QUOTE]

Not that the Pats have faced any good QBs other than Eli Manning in over a month, but while Brady was hampered by his injury and the offense didn't get going into the second half in a lot of games, the defense kept it close. They shut out the Giants in the first half, kept the Jets to 7 points, and held the Chiefs to three points all game (six points less than the Steelers' defense). The Pats defense is not a great defense, but far better than people give them credit for. They are middle of the pack.

All League
    [QUOTE=Rob0729;4256031]Not that the Pats have faced any good QBs other than Eli Manning in over a month, but while Brady was hampered by his injury and the offense didn't get going into the second half in a lot of games, the defense kept it close. They shut out the Giants in the first half, kept the Jets to 7 points, and held the Chiefs to three points all game (six points less than the Steelers' defense). The Pats defense is not a great defense, but far better than people give them credit for. They are middle of the pack.[/QUOTE]

The Pats are 10th overall in the league for points allowed, that is the most important stat. People can mock their league worst yards/passes allowed but last I checked they don't keep score according to how many passes/yards a team gives up. I'll gladly take that to be in the top ten for points allowed.

BB wasting 5 million for one season for Shaun Ellis is undoubtedly a waste of money, but just remember it must have done some good.

Consider the Jets didn't have Ellis for both games against the Patsies. Ellis would have done much better in the Jets scheme and I think BB knew that. That move took away BB's largest nemesis.

So as much as I hate to admit it, it must have done some good.

LOL oh yeah, it sure looks like it.. He could run that team into the ground and out the bottom of the Earth, they would still beat us at least once a year.

[QUOTE=Rob0729;4256028]The Pats did pick up worth while players in the offseason, just not the ones expected. Brian Waters is arguably one of the best RG in the league right now. Andre Carter is seventh in sacks with 9.5. Mark Anderson is 15th with 7. Those two combined have only 5.5 less sacks than the Jets have as an entire team. Both have allowed the Pats to have a pretty good pass rush to hide the fact that their secondary is so depleted. They have other minor acquisitions that have been decent in roles or fill ins like James Ihedigbo, Antwaun Molden, and Sterling Moore.

I never thought Ellis would do much and felt he was a waste of money, but the Pats have brought in several free agents who have done a lot for the team.

In fact, the Jets player from last year who the Pats acquired who's loss is hurting the Jets right now more than Ellis is Ihedigbo. He is no star, but he has been a decent enough starter for the Pats and played far better than Eric Smith. [B]He would have been an upgrade for the Jets right now. [/B]

Right now, the Pats are clearly better than the Jets. No their marquee offseason moves haven't panned out, but their more under the radar ones have worked out great.[/QUOTE]

Smith sucks, but the Jets don't miss Ihedigbo. Ihedigbo is a good special teamer and was useful in some packages when the Jets went small and Ihedigbo played linebacker, but he can't cover anyone and if he was playing on 100% of the defensive snaps like Smith is for the Jets, he would be getting roasted as well.

Tannenbaum's mistake wasn't letting Ihedigbo go it was trading Lowery away to the Jags.

[QUOTE]
    Right now, the Pats are clearly better than the Jets.[/QUOTE]

this is because Sanchez and Brady are polar opposites. Play from the QB position is why the Pats are better, not because of BB's personnel moves this past off season.