Thread: I don't like the new NFL as much as the old one

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the new NFL as much as the old one

How are they going to take these hits out of the game?

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/806389/bam.gif[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was clean. Not sure what the guy was supposed to do. He did make contact to the head and he dislodged the ball.

That was a legal hit

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah it looks easy in slow motion, try gauging where you're gonna hit the receiver in real-life speed. Not so easy.
    It's one of those penalties that isn't really a penalty. They just have to throw the flag to prevent legal liability.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4256185]How are they going to take these hits out of the game?

[IMG]http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/806389/bam.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh, they'll try, trust me. :steamin:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4256194]That was a legal hit[/QUOTE]

Not by current rules it isn't.

He went high. He went helmet-to-helmet, which is never legal.

He could have went lower. Would have had the same effect.

Like it or not, we live an an era where employers have a requirement to protect the health of the workers, and that includes sports. Allowing hits like that, which can cause serious long-term damage and end careers, would never pass muster in a court of law.

Either the NFL changes the rules to protect the players, or the courts will (eventually) do it for them. Trust me, you prefer the NFL doing it, because if the courts have to, the entire sport will be changed.

Simple answer is to teach players how to tackle correctly, proper mechanics, a serious problem in the modern NFL, where tackling correctly (or at all) is at a premium.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4256481]Not by current rules it isn't.

[B]Like it or not, we live an an era where employers have a requirement to protect the health of the workers, and that includes sports. Allowing hits like that, which can cause serious long-term damage and end careers, would never pass muster in a court of law.[/B]

Either the NFL changes the rules to protect the players, or the courts will (eventually) do it for them. Trust me, you prefer the NFL doing it, because if the courts have to, the entire sport will be changed.

Simple answer is to teach players how to tackle correctly, proper mechanics, a serious problem in the modern NFL, where tackling correctly (or at all) is at a premium.[/QUOTE]

While players do assume a certain amount of risk by choosing to play professional football, much like a person assumes risk if they become a police officer or any other profession where physical harm can occur. The league still has to do their due diligence by trying to provide a safer environment for which their players compete. Its a fine line to walk. While you dont want to take away the physicality of the game, you still want to eliminate the unnecessary excessive hits. The problem arises when there doesnt seem to be any consistency with the calls, so players are not sure of what is acceptable or not. I think the league along with the refs have done a terrible job in trying to make these changes.

On a side but related note, with all these changes basically eliminating the hard violent hit, the usefulness of a player like Eric Smith is very low. The days of the hard hitting safety who sends a message is over. Receivers are allowed to run across the middle and down field without a hand being laid on them. The future of the safety position is more of hybrid CB. Coverage ability and speed are now a lot more important than being able to lay a guy out. This is why I thought that getting rid of a guy like Dwight Lowery for a seventh round pick was a mistake. I think he would have been very good as a safety for the Jets. He has a good knack for finding the ball and I think he would have transitioned well. He seems to be playing well for the Jags at safety.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defenseless receiver rule doesn't make any sense. If the Saints DB lets up and gently makes contact- that flag doesn't get thrown. Since it was a violent hit, its a penalty. You can hit a defenseless receiever, sometimes, as long as it doesnt look bad.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4256525]The problem arises when there doesnt seem to be any consistency with the calls, so players are not sure of what is acceptable or not. I think the league along with the refs have done a terrible job in trying to make these changes.[/quote]

Agreed completely.

[QUOTE]On a side but related note, with all these changes basically eliminating the hard violent hit, the usefulness of a player like Eric Smith is very low.[/QUOTE]

No great loss IMO, a semi-talented dirty-hitting head-hunter thug is not what I want in my football anyway. The NFL is better when it's skill O players are healthy and on the field.

It's the same as Hockey losing it's "enforcers" to some degree, guys on an NHL roster not for their skill at hockey, but as boxers. NASCAR has always had a similar problem, in that fans always loved the "aggressive" drivers, the ones that often cause the big pileups fans seem to enjoy.

Old school sports folks (generally) love dirty players, dirty injury-causing hits and off-play fighting and violence. But that era is clearly over in sports.

[QUOTE]The future of the safety position is more of hybrid CB. Coverage ability and speed are now a lot more important than being able to lay a guy out[/QUOTE]

True, to a point. Your safeties also need to be solid run-stop supporters and great open-field tacklers. You're right, it's future is a hybrid CB/DE style position, that can cover (especially the new breed of big strong fast pass-catchign TE's), can blitz fromt he corner or up the middle effectively, and can make tackles vs. the run in all situations, especially open field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the defender can make that tackle without going high.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4256544]the defender can make that tackle without going high.[/QUOTE]

And the first time a receive gets flipped and knocked out or injured by contact with the turf there will be another change.

The player lead with the shoulder at the receiver with the helmet on the ball. The contact with the receivers helmet was incidental and unfortunate. But part of the game.
    Last edited by Piper; 11-29-2011 at 11:44 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4256481]Not by current rules it isn't.

[B]Like it or not, we live an an era where employers have a requirement to protect the health of the workers, and that includes sports.[/B] Allowing hits like that, which can cause serious long-term damage and end careers, would never pass muster in a court of law.

Simple answer is to teach players how to tackle correctly, proper mechanics, a serious problem in the modern NFL, where tackling correctly (or at all) is at a premium.[/QUOTE]

I felt that he turned his head and led with his shoulder. There was still some helmet to helmet contact because it was unavoidable, unless he was just going to let Nicks catch the ball.

How do boxing and MMA meet that requirement?

I was all for these rule changes a year ago, but I'm just seeing too many plays where I'm going "Come on! How can you throw a flag on that?!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4256638] The contact with the receivers helmet was incidental and unfortunate. But part of the game.[/QUOTE]

the NFL believes people go to the stadium to see touchdowns... not people getting knocked out. If life is harder for a defender, so be it. The league wants points scored and it wants players like Hakeem Nicks making plays not in the hospital with concussions. I can't say I disagree. It was part of the game, it's not anymore. If you want to watch people brain each other there's still college... or the MMA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4256912]the NFL believes people go to the stadium to see touchdowns... not people getting knocked out. If life is harder for a defender, so be it. The league wants points scored and it wants players like Hakeem Nicks making plays not in the hospital with concussions. I can't say I disagree. It was part of the game, it's not anymore. If you want to watch people brain each other there's still college... or the MMA.[/QUOTE]

That's what frustrates me the most about the way Goodell's tenure has gone so far.

If you want to see a lot of scoring and ****ty defense, get some goddamn tickets to the Arena League.

Brees made some wonderful plays last night, but I wouldn't call last night's game a great, well-played game of football. The defense by both teams was laughable.

I want to watch the NFL I know and love that emphasizes quality in all three phases of the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    these "rules" are ridiculous...

you want to pussify the game? i can't really stop you Goddell.

But at least make the rule clear so people know what they can and cannot do. Refs just throw flags without any basis for accountabiltiy or reference point. They just say, "wow that was a hard hit" unecessary roughness.

That's another thing. Come up with a new name for it. Calling a hard hit unecessary roughness during a football game makes me want to vomit. IT'S FOOTBALL!!!!!!! It's a CONTACT SPORT. How you going to call a clean hard hit unecessary???? Do you want the defender to embrace the WR with baited breath and gently lay him on the ground? I mean come the fcuk on already.

Instead of unecessary roughness, call it

"Personal Foul - Impeding the offensive player from boosting ratings. Defense. That's a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Matt39;4256532]The defenseless receiver rule doesn't make any sense. If the Saints DB lets up and gently makes contact- that flag doesn't get thrown. Since it was a violent hit, its a penalty. You can hit a defenseless receiever, sometimes, as long as it doesnt look bad.[/QUOTE]

It's very simple. You cannot hit the head of a defenseless receiver. The hardness of the hit is irrelevant.

Going by today's rules, this was clearly an illegal hit and flagged appropriately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4257074]It's very simple. You cannot hit the head of a defenseless receiver. The hardness of the hit is irrelevant.

Going by today's rules, this was clearly an illegal hit and flagged appropriately.[/QUOTE]

He didn't hit him in the head.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4257094]He didn't hit him in the head.[/QUOTE]

Might want to set up an appointment with the eye doctor...