Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Standards?

[QUOTE=cr726;4256802]What does law enforcement have to do with the audit? What is the Tea Party worried about? They are the people who are for fiscal repsonsibility and therefore should not have any worries about any type of audits coming there way. I find it comical how they cry they are different and when they are treated different they get upset.[/QUOTE]

I guess we are only allowed to compare the 2 groups when it fits their agenda? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4256821]I guess we are only allowed to compare the 2 groups when it fits their agenda? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The Tea Party paid and they want to know why everyone doesn't have to pay when they had to. I think that is very similar to wanting less entitlements and lower taxes. How is that disingenuous to their creedo? The invoice they sent was to make a statement, I don't think they thought the government was going to pay them back.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4256779]Finally we agree.

But back to the original matter. The Tea Party has an obligation to pay as per the law. Amirite? Are they exempt?

Try to answer with warble-gorbling about OWS.[/QUOTE]

You're only being foolish if you think that the TP did this thinking they would successfully recoup their fees. That's never what this was about. This was done to make a very simple point, that apparently isn't that simple to some: these OWS were given special treatment by the mayor that virtually no other group would get. They went about their "business" illegally, and the city not only turned a blind eye to it, they backed it financially, at taxpayer expense. It speaks volumes to anyone with any common sense.

The city's response not only aided the point being made, but further drove it home. The TP got exactly what they wanted out of this already and more.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4256828]You're only being foolish if you think that the TP did this thinking they would successfully recoup their fees. That's never what this was about. This was done to make a very simple point, that apparently isn't that simple to some: these OWS were given special treatment by the mayor that virtually no other group would get. They went about their "business" illegally, and the city not only turned a blind eye to it, they backed it financially, at taxpayer expense. It speaks volumes to anyone with any common sense.

The city's response not only aided the point being made, but further drove it home. The TP got exactly what they wanted out of this already and more.[/QUOTE]

Really? Weren't there multiple arrests of occupiers in Richmond? Special treatment, all the mayors have taken a step back because they do not want a full riot. Which city do you think is going to pay more in the end? Richmond or Oakland?

You think 10K covered the Tea Party's tab? Um, no.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4256854]
    You think 10K covered the Tea Party's tab? Um, no.[/QUOTE]

Did the zero that OWS paid even scratch the surface?

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4256861]Did the zero that OWS paid even scratch the surface?[/QUOTE]

They were arrests made for not obeying the law.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4256863]They were arrests made for not obeying the law.[/QUOTE]

Then they should have all been arrested for occupying the park without a permit.

[QUOTE=Trades;4256866]Then they should have all been arrested for occupying the park without a permit.[/QUOTE]

That would cost the city a lot more money.

[QUOTE=cr726;4256876]That would cost the city a lot more money.[/QUOTE]

Please explain how it would've cost more for them to be arrest and obviously never return to the park than it would be to let them occupy it at taxpayer expense for an extended period of time...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4256863]They were arrests made for not obeying the law.[/QUOTE]

How many? For what transgressions? Was every single illegally present protester arrested? Were they all then prevented from returning right back to the protest as soon as they were released?

If you're an OWS protester, why not just take the simple step to pay the city for the permit? Especially when you have a $600,000 surplus with nothing to spend it on except for a communal kitchen that serves Crab Eggs Benedict to hundreds?

If you really believe that certain city officials didn't have an agenda to protect most of these folks and their illegal behavior and that the same sentiment that motivated it wasn't the reason behind this TP audit response, then there's no prying off the blinders you're wearing. Like Fish, I often wonder why I bother even acknowledging your ridiculous presence. You live in a tiny box with no ability to see outside of it. It's actually kind of sad.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4256878]Please explain how it would've cost more for them to be arrest and obviously never return to the park than it would be to let them occupy it at taxpayer expense for an extended period of time...[/QUOTE]

this is a basic misunderstanding of the penal system

that arresting people and detaining them forever is somehow a bargain.

it's not. it's actually way cheaper to put out some portajohns.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4256879]How many? For what transgressions? Was every single illegally present protester arrested? Were they all then prevented from returning right back to the protest as soon as they were released?

If you're an OWS protester, why not just take the simple step to pay the city for the permit? Especially when you have a $600,000 surplus with nothing to spend it on except for a communal kitchen that serves Crab Eggs Benedict to hundreds?

If you really believe that certain city officials didn't have an agenda to protect most of these folks and their illegal behavior and that the same sentiment that motivated it wasn't the reason behind this TP audit response, then there's no prying off the blinders you're wearing. Like Fish, I often wonder why I bother even acknowledging your ridiculous presence. You live in a tiny box with no ability to see outside of it. It's actually kind of sad.[/QUOTE]

Blinders? Because I do not agree with you, I am blind to what you think and feel, I do not agree with either the TP or the OWS crowds, they are annoying. I do not reside in Richmond nor do I know their politics, but the Chief of Police in Richmond is getting ripped by everyone. I understand what he is going through a lot better than you ever will.

The Tea Party wanted to make an example out of the city of Richmond and how did that work out for them?

P.S. You think I really care what you or Warfish think about me?

[QUOTE=bitonti;4256897]this is a basic misunderstanding of the penal system

that arresting people [B]and detaining them forever[/B] is somehow a bargain.

it's not. it's actually way cheaper to put out some portajohns.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because that's what I said...

Arrest them, fine them and send them on their merry little way... If they show up again, do it again :rolleyes:

The police presence is already in place, no terlets to pay for and pay to clean, no extra trash pick up, no bad press from the violence occurring at these rallies, etc...

[QUOTE=Warfish;4256636]The OWS "General Assembly", obviously

Being a group that claims it's led "by the voice of all the people equally" does not immune them from the law or the usual civic requirements and red tape, does it?

If a group doesn't elect a formal CPA tresurer, they cannot be asked to pay fees or get appropriate permissions?[/quote]

No - they can be directed to leave, for violating the permitting law. As they should be. But as a practical matter, aside from evicting them, "making them pay" isn't a viable solution since there's nobody to whom to address the invoice.

[QUOTE] And the law is rather clear on this I believe, if they don't pay, and don't get permission, and don't go through the usual Govt. mandated stuff, they can and are evicted or stopped from protesting/marching/etc., right?

[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE]So I'll ask again, how SHOULD these two very similar issues have been handed by the City in question, whilst maintining equal treatement under the Law and not showing preferential treatment to one group over the other, simply because one group actully obay'd the law?
    [/QUOTE]

They should be evicting the Occupy folks.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4256911]

They should be evicting the Occupy folks.[/QUOTE]

But they aren't...

So it comes full circle.

Was what the TP did...bringing this hypocrisy to national attention warranted?

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4256911]

They should be evicting the Occupy folks.[/QUOTE]

politics as in life is not fair

if we grant the Occupy is getting special treatment it could be because 10-20% of people approve of the tea party and 40-50% approve of occupy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4256917]politics as in life is not fair

if we grant the Occupy is getting special treatment it could be because 10-20% of people approve of the tea party and 40-50% approve of occupy.[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah that is the demographic. Everyone I have talked to thinks the Occupy twerps are a bunch of entitled tools that should get a job.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4256916]But they aren't...

So it comes full circle.

Was what the TP did...bringing this hypocrisy to national attention warranted?[/QUOTE]

They are evicting them, no?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4256828]You're only being foolish if you think that the TP did this thinking they would successfully recoup their fees. That's never what this was about. This was done to make a very simple point, that apparently isn't that simple to some: these OWS were given special treatment by the mayor that virtually no other group would get. They went about their "business" illegally, and the city not only turned a blind eye to it, they backed it financially, at taxpayer expense. It speaks volumes to anyone with any common sense.

The city's response not only aided the point being made, but further drove it home. The TP got exactly what they wanted out of this already and more.[/QUOTE]

ahh, a man who makes sense...I'm sure not all will allow themselves to admit you are 100% correct

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4256917]politics as in life is not fair

if we grant the Occupy is getting special treatment it could be because 10-20% of people approve of the tea party and [B]40-50% approve of occupy[/B].[/QUOTE]
    lol on what planet are you geting these stats?