Thread: The Roll out

The Roll out

Start with last week's game and go back- there is no way that Schottzie should be keeping Sanchez in the pocket. All his errors are made from the pocket. On the roll, db's don't know if they should come up or keep coverage- this often opens up possibilities to complete passes.

The mis-use( see previous blog) by Schott is the biggest issue for him as an OC. The continuance of this error (since Penny-arm) has retarded Mark's effectiveness and growth. The blocking schemes are not in place for a lot of roll-out, but they need to be instituted asap. This year may already be lost, but show what can be done in the future.:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Schottenheimer believes in his crappy system not the strengths of his players.

Hall Of Fame
    They were having good success with rolling Sanchez out in the beginning of the season, but once Baltimore shut it down, Shotty has not gone back to it. Kind of surprised because Sanchez seems to do well out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Time to Roll Out ~ Eye of the Tiger #6, Eye of The Tiger..........

[IMG]http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/chihuahua%20angry.JPG[/IMG]

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Been saying this all year... in person it is painful to watch him in the pocket... all the plays are on the run. With all these coaches getting fired, why not fire Shotty and get it over with.... Roll him Sanchez out...

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4256982]Been saying this all year... in person it is painful to watch him in the pocket... all the plays are on the run. With all these coaches getting fired, why not fire Shotty and get it over with.... Roll him Sanchez out...[/QUOTE]

Because any NFL team would look totally inept & foolish to fire a coach after a win. Good try though Flagman.

;)

All League
    [QUOTE=petejet;4256840]Schottenheimer believes in his crappy system not the strengths of his players.[/QUOTE][B]big time!![/B]

We need to call more rollouts, but I don't want to see more than 5 or 6 in a given game. That's also my rule of thumb for screen passes (WR and RB).

I was happy to see Schotty bring back the reverse last week.

I also want Conner to get 3-4 carries every week. It would give the defense something else to look for and make the misdirection plays more effective.

All League
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4256995]We need to call more rollouts, but I don't want to see more than 5 or 6 in a given game. That's also my rule of thumb for screen passes (WR and RB).

I was happy to see Schotty bring back the reverse last week.

I also want Conner to get 3-4 carries every week. It would give the defense something else to look for and make the misdirection plays more effective.[/QUOTE]my biggest rule of thumb is playing/adjusting to your players strengths..

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4256993]Because any NFL team would look totally inept & foolish to fire a coach after a win. Good try though Flagman.

;)[/QUOTE]

true... forgot about the win :zzz:

All Pro
    Im against the roll out except when necessary. Sanchez is no doubt decent at doing it, however....

if you make it part of the gameplan consistently I think it narrows the field too much. It wouldnt make much sense to roll him out to the left (his weak side), would it, and have him throw often across his body? So if you consistently do it to his favorable (right) side, it seems like secondaries could crowd things up more than they already are on him.

The pocket: learn to be comfortable in it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4257126]Im against the roll out except when necessary. Sanchez is no doubt decent at doing it, however....

if you make it part of the gameplan consistently I think it narrows the field too much. It wouldnt make much sense to roll him out to the left (his weak side), would it, and have him throw often across his body? So if you consistently do it to his favorable (right) side, it seems like secondaries could crowd things up more than they already are on him.

The pocket: learn to be comfortable in it.[/QUOTE]

First off, Sanchez is much more than "decent" at the rollout. His strengths are fewer than we'd like to see at this point, but selling him short on this is just unfair.

Secondly, plenty of teams utilize rollouts and waggles as part of their regular offense. The reason why is because they have personnel that excel at it and therefore dictate to the defense how the game will be played. Try and stop us, that's the offensive strategist way of thinking. A perfect example of this was last night on MNF. Watch the highlights of the game and how Brees makes so many of his throws on the run/outside the pocket.

The rollout doesn't necessarily "cut the field in half", per se. Sure, you are working half the field, but you are also seeing all of that half for the most part, with superior throwing lanes that you wouldn't have in a traditional pocket. So you are losing real estate to a degree, but gaining significant field vision and throwing windows. Additionally, you can easily roll to the left and throw with a right-handed QB. If you watch some teams that do this, you'll see that the the roll to the QBs arm side is usually flatter across the LoS, whereas the roll to the weakside (in this case the left) tends to have a bit of a diagonal drop to give the QB space to pivot and plant his foot.

This all really comes down to the same thing I always say; this coaching staff is more concerned about trying to stop Sanchez' mistakes by forcing him to play small-ball (for which he is ill-suited) instead of playing to his strengths, which would limit his mistakes as he wouldn't be in as many positions to make them in the first place. Good coaches make the most use of the players on their squad. We're not seeing that on this team right now.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 11-29-2011 at 05:03 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4257126]Im against the roll out except when necessary. Sanchez is no doubt decent at doing it, however....

The pocket: learn to be comfortable in it.[/QUOTE]

You clearly don't watch and Packers or Saints games...

Sanchez has thrown a lot of TD's while rolling out to his right..Including in a few playoff games. He needs to move around a bit and be running forward.

All Pro
    Sanchez is a pretty athletic guy and they are trying to treat him like Peyton Manning back there.

There are two things this offense needs to do more of to succeed consistently IMO. Moving Sanchez around more and some no-huddle outside of the two-minute drill.

He has been pretty successful in both of these situations and I just can't understand why they don't it more.

All League
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4257218]Sanchez is a pretty athletic guy and they are trying to treat him like Peyton Manning back there.

There are two things this offense needs to do more of to succeed consistently IMO. Moving Sanchez around more and some no-huddle outside of the two-minute drill.

[B]He has been pretty successful in both of these situations and I just can't understand why they don't it more.[/B][/QUOTE]welcome to schottyville..

it is so true about schitty not coaching and calling plays to his players strengths. the jets need to call more screens and play action if teams still put 8 in the box. roll outs help by helping the receivers to get open and forcing the lb's and db's to respect sanchez's ability to run. there is no excuse for many of the plays schitty calls or their bad execution. you practice the plays you need to win the game not suddenly call some dumb play because it's in the play book.

schitty can just go. he needs to be launched before the season is out. especially if they don't make the playoffs.

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;4257579]it is so true about schitty not coaching and calling plays to his players strengths. the jets need to call more screens and play action if teams still put 8 in the box. roll outs help by helping the receivers to get open and forcing the lb's and db's to respect sanchez's ability to run. there is no excuse for many of the plays schitty calls or their bad execution. you practice the plays you need to win the game not suddenly call some dumb play because it's in the play book.

schitty can just go. he needs to be launched before the season is out. especially if they don't make the playoffs.[/QUOTE]
    This is the whole damn truth

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=petejet;4256840]Schottenheimer believes in his crappy system not the strengths of his players.[/QUOTE]

+1:yes: