Thread: Richie Rich Gets Richer!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Richie Rich Gets Richer!!!!

I always thought 86 year olds won!!!!!!

[url]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/millionaires-win-millions-with-a-1-and-a-dream.html[/url]

Powerball: Connecticut money managers strike it rich -- via lottery
    November 29, 2011 | 7:35 am 115

Let's just stipulate that this post proves life is not always (duh) fair.

Three asset managers from tony Greenwich, Conn., came forward Monday to claim a $254-million Powerball jackpot. They've chosen to take the winnings in an after-taxes lump sum of $103.5 million, the 12th-biggest payout in lottery history and by far the largest ever in Connecticut, according to the Hartford Courant.

Their lawyer, Jason Kurland, spoke for them at a news conference at Connecticut's lottery headquarters Monday. In video and photographs from the conference, winners Greg Skidmore, 35, Brandon Lacoff, 36, and Tim Davidson, 54, appeared restrained if not a bit uncomfortable as they held an oversized copy of a check.

They apparently remained quiet so long about winning after the Nov. 2 Powerball drawing that the state lottery put up billboards urging ticket holders to check their numbers to see if they had won, according to the Courant.

Kurland said that Davidson bought the $1 winning ticket at a Stamford gas station. The winning numbers were 12-14-34-46 with a Powerball number of 36.

The three work at Belpointe Asset Management overseeing $82 million for 776 clients, the New York Daily News reported. Skidmore's grandfather was a founder of the well-known architecture firm Skidmore, Owens & Merrill, according to the New York Times.

"They've become their dream clients," Kurland said at the news conference.

In the time between winning and coming forward, the three partners formed the Putnam Avenue Family Trust and spent the time "doing tax planning, estate planning -- getting all our ducks in a row," Kurland said. They were unsure about how they would spend the money but Kurland said, "one thing we do know is that a significant amount will go to Connecticut charities."

Demonstrators in lower Manhattan at Zuccotti Park near Wall Street, who have been complaining for months that the top 1% keep getting richer while the rest of the country struggles, found news of these wealthy men getting wealthier particularly ironic.

"This exemplifies the predicament in this country. The rich are getting richer off the poor," Occupy Wall Street protester Matt Schaffer, 19, told the New York Daily News.

However, a neighbor of Lacoff's countered on a social media website that he deserved "every cent."

"Just because he's successful doesn't mean he can't get lucky," the neighbor said, according to the Daily News.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4256841]
    "This exemplifies the predicament in this country. The rich are getting richer off the poor," Occupy Wall Street protester Matt Schaffer, 19, told the New York Daily News.

[/QUOTE]

I missed the part where those guys mugged a bum for his lottery ticket. :rofl:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I caught a brief snippet of the today show where someone insinuated that these guys were fronting for someone.

Anyone know anything beyond that?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4256967]I caught a brief snippet of the today show where someone insinuated that these guys were fronting for someone.

Anyone know anything beyond that?[/QUOTE]

Saw that as well, I guess they think they were not the original winner(s)? Just dont see the reasoning that they had to pretend to win it? They are really smart so why not have them invest your winnings. :dunno:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this was going to be about Bing or Stokes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4256967]I caught a brief snippet of the today show where someone insinuated that these guys were fronting for someone.

Anyone know anything beyond that?[/QUOTE]

read that today, one of their clients in order to keep it hush hush and the client out of the limelight

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;4257059]read that today, one of their clients in order to keep it hush hush and the client out of the limelight[/QUOTE]

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/US/wealth-managers-real-winners-254-million-connecticut-lottery/story?id=15047703[/url]

I guess it makes sense when you think about the fact that they take the public exposure risk but reap the benefits of taking the fees on managing the Trust.