Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Scratching and Clawing . . . fantasy pride

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratching and Clawing . . . fantasy pride

Just gotta write about this one. In my main league, the one I've played in for years, I drafted the best team in the league, bar none (IHMO). Stacked at RB, with Peterson and McFadden as my 1-2, and Hillis as my flex (it was an auction league, and that's where most of my money went), and Felix Jones as my backup. Sneaky good at WR, with Kenny Britt, Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams (TB) as my starters. Under the radar TEs Gronkowski and Owen Daniels. I went cheap at QB, ending up with Cutler and Kolb after being outbid for Stafford. Good enough on D, and Mason Crosby as my kicker. (I love nominating kickers in auction leagues - either I get my guy, or someone else wastes an extra dollar on a kicker. It's win-win).

And for the first two weeks, I rolled. Highest point total in the league, easy. Britt was paying off as a stealth number one.

Then he got injured in week three, and it started rolling down hill from there. All told, I've lost significant time from my best WR, my top 4 RBs and my top 3 QBs (after Kolb got injured I swiped Matt Schaub . . . who promptly went down . . . I'm now down to Carson Palmer as my starter). I lost 5 games in a row, dropped to 2-5.

But somehow, I've fought back. Picked up some players at the right times - Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, Roy Helu . . . overpaid for 'em (we use FAAB) but I was desperate. And now I sit at 7-5, in third place overall and looking at a first round bye (we send 5 to the playoffs) if I can just hold on. Of course, I'm playing the league's top team this week, and there are 4 teams at 6-6, so if things break wrong I may be out of the playoffs entirely.

But man, if I can just get that bye . . . I'll be rolling into the semifinals with my stud runningbacks healthy, my TEs and WRs producing, a QB doing just enough, and a real shot at the league title.

I imagine none of you really gives a damn . . . but I'm proud as hell of the way I've managed that league (I won't mention my other two . . . 3 leagues was too many), and since nobody in real life wants to hear about it, you got the honor.

So . . . how are your teams doing?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm offended you didnt invite me back actually. I almost won your league last year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year got 1st place in the regular season and then lost 1st round of the playoffs because Aaron Rodgers happened to miss that one week.

This year has been awful, currently sitting at 3-9 and dead last in the league. My entire team has just been a disappointment.

QB - Rivers has been ****

WR - Got Reggie Wayne prior to Peyton being out for the year (enough said), Mike Williams was a major disappointment until very recentily, Marques Colston missed several weeks with injury.

RB - MJD has been meh, Ryan Mathews has fallen off a bit, Cedric Benson is meh, Jahvid Best fell off with injuries

TE - Antonio Gates missing significant time with injury

K - Garrett Hartley went on IR right before the opening game.

Defense - Team defense and IDP's have been decent.

That is just the team I drafted, haven't got much luck out of my waiver pick-ups other than Victor Cruz and Dan Bailey.

However, I did win the Survivor portion of my league so I made my money back plus some.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 11-30-2011 at 12:03 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice job, Doggin.

Casual fantasy football players put a huge emphasis on the first 3 rounds of the draft (since they know all the names). However these leagues are won in the middle/late rounds and waiver wire.

As for me, Im in 4 leagues and all 4 are playoff bound(after only getting one in last year. that team was a one seed but a first round flop) but Ill post my big money league.

12 team ESPN standard scoring with a one point PPR:

I was offered lots of receiver trades so Im absolutely stacked at WR and lost my depth at RB. The problem is a couple of my guys are extreme hit or miss.

Week 1 line up- Current team

QB: Stafford- Same
    RB: Peterson- Same but hes hurt
    RB: Gore- Traded for Wes Welker
    Flex: Best- Dead. Wes Welker in this spot
    WR: Mike Wallace- Same
    WR: Stevie Johnson- Now Vincent Jackson
    TE- Jason Witten- Same
    K- Gostowski- Same
    D- I started with the Saints but now I go with whoever plays the Colts.

Team is 8-4 and looking at a first round bye (100 bucks for being in semis) and a points title (100 bucks) so Im looking at my money back before the tournament starts. I also have an outside chance of coming in 1st overall which would be another 100 but that'd be tough.

I really need Peterson to come back for the playoffs. Im playing scrubs like Donald Brown and OBGYN from Cleveland...its tough.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I'm offended you didnt invite me back actually. I almost won your league last year
    Heh - different league, that league collapsed. And yeah, won my matchup (highest points total for the week) so I'm rolling into the playoffs

Bay Ridge - sounds like a nice year, and you'll get AD back for week 15

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    7-5 going in to the playoffs as the 6th seed in the league at the job.. i feel pretty good about it because i started 0-4..

8-4 going in to the playoffs as the 3rd seed right here at JI fantasy football..

6 out 10 115.84 points back in a points league..

just started playing last year & now i'm completely hooked!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice man!! that was a great job drafting...i traded for britt preseason myself and it looked like the steal of the century.

also good job on the WW....I hope you get in and take out your league!!!

i scored my season high points the last 2 weeks of the season but of course my opponents those 2 weeks were the highest scorers in the league putting up about 160 points.

i backed into the playoffs...so far so good...i got 31 from Big Ben on Thursday but also played Hillis which kind of put a damper on things.

I'm playing the sneaky route today with Santana Moss and Nate Burleson, but I might swap Burleson for Steve Johnson at the last minute.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Just gotta write about this one. In my main league, the one I've played in for years, I drafted the best team in the league, bar none (IHMO). Stacked at RB, with Peterson and McFadden as my 1-2, and Hillis as my flex (it was an auction league, and that's where most of my money went), and Felix Jones as my backup. Sneaky good at WR, with Kenny Britt, Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams (TB) as my starters. Under the radar TEs Gronkowski and Owen Daniels. I went cheap at QB, ending up with Cutler and Kolb after being outbid for Stafford. Good enough on D, and Mason Crosby as my kicker. (I love nominating kickers in auction leagues - either I get my guy, or someone else wastes an extra dollar on a kicker. It's win-win).

And for the first two weeks, I rolled. Highest point total in the league, easy. Britt was paying off as a stealth number one.

Then he got injured in week three, and it started rolling down hill from there. All told, I've lost significant time from my best WR, my top 4 RBs and my top 3 QBs (after Kolb got injured I swiped Matt Schaub . . . who promptly went down . . . I'm now down to Carson Palmer as my starter). I lost 5 games in a row, dropped to 2-5.

But somehow, I've fought back. Picked up some players at the right times - Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown, Roy Helu . . . overpaid for 'em (we use FAAB) but I was desperate. And now I sit at 7-5, in third place overall and looking at a first round bye (we send 5 to the playoffs) if I can just hold on. Of course, I'm playing the league's top team this week, and there are 4 teams at 6-6, so if things break wrong I may be out of the playoffs entirely.

But man, if I can just get that bye . . . I'll be rolling into the semifinals with my stud runningbacks healthy, my TEs and WRs producing, a QB doing just enough, and a real shot at the league title.

I imagine none of you really gives a damn . . . but I'm proud as hell of the way I've managed that league (I won't mention my other two . . . 3 leagues was too many), and since nobody in real life wants to hear about it, you got the honor.

So . . . how are your teams doing?

Nice job Doggin.

Blowing everyone out of the water in my Yahoo league: 12-2

QB by commitee: Hasselback and Sanchez. avoided Sanchez duds when Hasselback was serviceable. Now riding Sanchez .
    WR: Cruz, Maclin, Jennings (hurt now have Riley Cooper and Driver on bench)
    RB: Turner and MJD
    TE: Gates. picked him up a few weeks before he returned from injury (Vernon Davis on bench)
    K: Kasay
    Def: GB

Was able to pick the last playoff spot in my NFL league at 9-5:

QB: Cam Newton (Flacco)
    RB's: Turner and Demarco Murray (now Hillis)
    WR: Colston, Maclin, Mike Williams and NAte Washington
    TE : Gronkowski who's prolly saved my season (Hernandez on the bench)
    K: Akers
    Def: NYJ