Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relatively young Jets Team with Bright present and future

All Pro

Relatively young Jets Team with Bright present and future

The Jets currently have 11 player on their roster who are 29 yrs old or older,with only 2 who are worth keeping.Of the 11,about 6 are atarters,and can easilly be replaces both on offense and defense without much downside.

The team is in good shape and the key is Sanchez and his continued development.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4257428]The Jets currently have 11 player on their roster who are 29 yrs old or older,with only 2 who are worth keeping.Of the 11,about 6 are atarters,and can easilly be replaces both on offense and defense without much downside.

The team is in good shape and the key is Sanchez and his continued development.[/QUOTE]

So who are the 11? Who are the 6 starters? I have an idea but would like to know for sure.

All Pro
    1 - QB - Backup

2- WR - Starter

3 - RB - Backup

4 - SS - Starter

5 - OLBer - Starter - IR

6 - OLBer - Starter

7 - OG - Starter

8 -NT - Starter

9 - CB - Backup

10 - ILBer - Starter

11 - OT - Starter

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4257428]The Jets currently have 11 player on their roster who are 29 yrs old or older,with only 2 who are worth keeping.Of the 11,about 6 are atarters,and can easilly be replaces both on offense and defense without much downside.

The team is in good shape and the key is Sanchez and his continued development.[/QUOTE]

Burress, Pouha, Scott, Pace, and Moore are all well worth keeping around.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4257483]1 - QB - Backup [B]Brunell[/B]

2- WR - Starter [B]Plax[/B]

3 - RB - Backup [B]LT[/B]

4 - SS - Starter [B]Smith?[/B]

5 - OLBer - Starter - IR [B]Thomas[/B]

6 - OLBer - Starter [B]Pace[/B]

7 - OG - Starter [B]Moore[/B]

8 -NT - Starter [B]Pouha[/B]

9 - CB - Backup [B]Strickland?[/B]

10 - ILBer - Starter [B]Scott[/B]

11 - OT - Starter[B]Hunter[/B][/QUOTE]

Just to make it clearer for some who couldn't be bothered to look it up :D

All League
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4257499]Burress, Pouha, Scott, Pace, and Moore are all well worth keeping around.[/QUOTE]

Agreed but some more youth at those positions couldn't hurt. Especially at WR and OLB

All League
    May be wrong but I would think most teams would have about the same # for players over 29

All Pro
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4257499]Burress, Pouha, Scott, Pace, and Moore are all well worth keeping around.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep Pouha and Moore,you can have the rest of those jags.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4257505]Just to make it clearer for some who couldn't be bothered to look it up :D[/QUOTE]

Not Smith,but Leonard.

I don't mind getting rid of Smith either,but he would probably make a decent SS for a year or so if Leonard isn't here.

All Pro
    Nice to hear.

Hopefully we can keep this core while still signing some free agents.

We'll be greatly aided after next season (after 2012 season) when the contracts for Calvin Pace and Bart Scott become cuttable - also hopefully Sanchez's next contract is actually less than his current 14mill/yr which he got on the old rookie pay scale being a top 5 QB pick and hit HUGE escalators due to the AFC Championship.

I'd love to draft 1-2 wideouts high this year and sign a quality safety in free agency.

Im indifferent on Scott and Pace starting but agree with you overall

All Pro
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4257520]Nice to hear.

Hopefully we can keep this core while still signing some free agents.

We'll be greatly aided after next season (after 2012 season) when the contracts for Calvin Pace and Bart Scott become cuttable - also hopefully Sanchez's next contract is actually less than his current 14mill/yr which he got on the old rookie pay scale being a top 5 QB pick and hit HUGE escalators due to the AFC Championship.

I'd love to draft 1-2 wideouts high this year and sign a quality safety in free agency.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see what Eron Riley and Patrick Turner can do with some quality reps.If we're going to have these guys on the active roster,why not let them play.Giants gave that kid a shot and found a quality player.The cowboys did the same when Austin got hurt.The colts found 2 guys when they were forced to play the kids.We got these kids on our roster and all they do is provide us with players to deactivate on game day.

If Riley can't do better than Mulligan,why is he on our roster.I want to see a young athletic WR on the field,but i don't want to spend a high draft pick on one.I don't want to spend anything higher than a 3rd on a safety either.

Pouha, Burress, Leonhard, Moore, Pace, and LT are all still good contributors. We do need to find young replacements at RG/OLB very soon though.

The core of Mangold, D'Brick, Slauson, Conner, Holmes, Keller, Wilkerson, DeVito, Harris, Revis, Cromartie, and Wilson is very solid.

I'm not sold on Sanchez or Greene as long-term solutions. I like Mark and want him to succeed, but he just isn't playing up to par right now.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4257514]I'll keep Pouha and Moore,you can have the rest of those jags.[/QUOTE]

Plax has made some legit catches for us, and has taken over atleast one game. His 7TDs have been crucial to our success this year. I dont consider him to be JAG

All League
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;4257639]Plax has made some legit catches for us, and has taken over atleast one game. His 7TDs have been crucial to our success this year. I dont consider him to be JAG[/QUOTE]

He's not a JAG but he's a one trick pony. I wouldn't mind drafting a stud WR like Floyd and using the remaining money set aside to extend Plax for redzone duty.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;4257643]He's not a JAG but he's a one trick pony. I wouldn't mind drafting a stud WR like Floyd and using the remaining money set aside to extend Plax for redzone duty.[/QUOTE]

I think that OLB or, even more so, S are more important issues to address in the first round. Pool and Smith are absolute jokes back there.

Kerley is the future in the slot and obviously, regardless of his lack of production this year, Santionio is going to be out #1 going forward due to his contract.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4257483]1 - QB - Backup

2- WR - Starter

3 - RB - Backup

4 - SS - Starter

5 - OLBer - Starter - IR

6 - OLBer - Starter

7 - OG - Starter

8 -NT - Starter

9 - CB - Backup

10 - ILBer - Starter

11 - OT - Starter[/QUOTE]

1 - QB - Backup - Hopefully this is the last season Brunell gives it a shot. Wouldn't be better off as a coach? McElroy seems like the likely replacement.

2- WR - Starter - We all knew Plaxico was a one and one deal. Hopefully, we see Braylon come back??

3 - RB - Backup - I doubt Tomlinson comes back? I pray this is Bilal Powell and not that fumbling machine Joe McKnight.:eek:

4 - SS - Starter - ANYONE but Eric Smith

5 - OLBer - Starter - IR - Bryan Thomas' starting spot is waiting for him in my opinion.

6 - OLBer - Starter - Pace keeps his spot

7 - OG - Starter - Moore keeps his spot

8 -NT - Starter - I could see if Pouha were relegated to the bench if suddenly Kendrick starts to play like a beast, but in any case Pouha keeps his job.

9 - CB - Backup - Strickland hasn't been nearly as good the second time around. Look for a draft pick to hopefully take this spot. JMO.

10 - ILBer - Starter - I really don't know about this? Bart Scott really hasn't been good at all this season. I wonder if Rex would do that to his most devoted player?

11 - OT - Starter - I can ONLY see Hunter staying if he took a paycut and were placed with the 2nd stringers. Other than, we cut him and move on.

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;4257668][B]I think that OLB or, even more so, S are more important issues to address in the first round.[/B] Pool and Smith are absolute jokes back there.

Kerley is the future in the slot and obviously, regardless of his lack of production this year, Santionio is going to be out #1 going forward due to his contract.[/QUOTE]

With the way this league has become, what Rex and Co. need to do is go out and get guys that can cover Gronkowski and Hernandez. That's it. End of story. We need to stop these guys from killing us for the next few years or we will never get to win a division. If it is a safety or a LB we need some guys that can cover these tight ends and give NE fits. We can take away the outside and slot receivers with our corners but we need to find a way to cover the TE. Rex has had almost 3 years now to sceme against the TE's and it hasn't worked, now we need to do it with productive defenders.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4257514]I'll keep Pouha and Moore,you can have the rest of those jags.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, however the LBs (Pace, Scott, BT) are not easily replaced. MT has all but ignored the position for six years, and considering we are primarily a 3-4 team that should rely on OLBs for pass rush, I think we are in huge trouble going forward. Maybin is showing some promise, but he is still a major project (completely useless vs the run, only one real pass rushing move, etc.). Westermann and McIntyre are garbage. To me, we need to draft 2 or 3 LBs this year, along with 1 or 2 OTs and a S and a WR. But until we upgrade the LB position, this will defense will not be good enough.

And on the other side of the ball, you're right it largely comes down to Sanchez's development. I don't think he will ever be much more than we've seen, but I think you have to stick with him at least another year before passing judgment.

[QUOTE=Toooon;4257802]I agree with you, however the LBs (Pace, Scott, BT) are not easily replaced. MT has all but ignored the position for six years, and considering we are primarily a 3-4 team that should rely on OLBs for pass rush, I think we are in huge trouble going forward. Maybin is showing some promise, but he is still a major project (completely useless vs the run, only one real pass rushing move, etc.). Westermann and McIntyre are garbage. To me, we need to draft 2 or 3 LBs this year, along with 1 or 2 OTs and a S and a WR. But until we upgrade the LB position, this will defense will not be good enough.

And on the other side of the ball, you're right it largely comes down to Sanchez's development. I don't think he will ever be much more than we've seen, but I think you have to stick with him at least another year before passing judgment.[/QUOTE]

We need more picks than we have.