Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in US

Jets Insider VIP
    "Hello....yes, my client does NOT approve of this thread!"

[IMG]http://geektyrant.com/storage/2011-post-images/MrEd.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1317757053962[/IMG]

so it's OK to hunt, kill and eat Bambi, but it's not OK to eat horse?

don't get it :dunno:

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4257758]What's next? Dogs and cats...[/QUOTE]

Eating ***** is an issue?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=frostlich;4258046]Eating ***** is an issue?[/QUOTE]

Can I buy a "u" Vanna?

[IMG]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9650/wordpuzzleu.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I say to each their own. Eat what you want.

[QUOTE=Fishooked;4258068]I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.[/QUOTE]

That's what vegans contend. But you are either all in or out when it comes to animal slaughter for food. Why does a chicken or calf have less value than a horse?
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 11-30-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Wrong word

[QUOTE=Fishooked;4258068]I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.[/QUOTE]

some people are also very loving of sheep.

All League
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4257856]Cattle prices are way up and will continue to do so. Our cattle herds have been reduced to in part that cattle ranchers have found more profit in growing corn than cattle. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like we'll have to pony up some dough.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4257935]In the U.S. , we currently and commonly eat:

Cows
    Goats
    Sheep
    Pigs
    Buffalo
    Deer
    Elk
    Moose
    (All the above are ungulates)
    Chickens & Turkeys
    Aligators & Snakes & Turtles

How does a Horse differ, in factual and legal terms, from these other ungulates we consume? Why an objection to one ungulate vs. the dozen or so others we (as a specieis) raise or hunt for food?

I, for one, do not see any meaningful similarities between eating a Horse and eating a Cat or Dog, two animals not generally considered as food items throughout the course of western civilization history.[/QUOTE]

don't forget armadillos

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4258079]some people are also very loving of sheep.[/QUOTE]

aaaaaand....we 're off!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4258077]That's what vegans contend. But you are either all in or out when it comes to animal slaughter for food. Why does a chicken or calf have less value than a horse?[/QUOTE]

Because those other animals have always been bred for food for generations.
    Horses haven't.

[QUOTE=Fishooked;4258347]Because those other animals have always been bred for food for generations.
    Horses haven't.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying, but horses have been bred for food in many European nations. If I remember correctly, there were equine butcheries in New Jersey back in the 60s.

All League
    Horse meat gives me the trots. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4257993]Culture, like music and art, is subjective to the individual. What you see as culture, I may see as foul, and vice versa. Snails and Smelly Cheese are both considered the heights of cuisine of other, generally considered cultured, nations.

That claim is not enough for outright illegallity. Nor does it explain why a Horse is different from other ungulates we consume regularly.
    [/QUOTE]

I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4258835]I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.[/QUOTE]

i think you're both saying the same thing, only he has a fistier way of expressing himself.

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4258838]i think you're both saying the same thing, only he has a [B]fistier[/B] way of expressing himself.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

He is the Warfist.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4258835]I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but still as warfist said this is not enough for illegality.

an example; we're a nation 99% of which is muslim to some extent so there is almost no pork consumption at all. But there are active pig farms in Turkey. Same thing. Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Turk;4258869]Agreed, but still as warfist said this is not enough for illegality.

an example; we're a nation 99% of which is muslim to some extent so there is almost no pork consumption at all. But there are active pig farms in Turkey. Same thing. Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I didn't get that first time around.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=The Turk;4258869]Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?[/QUOTE]

Because there are so many dumb ****ing Americans that want to push their
    dumb ****ing ideologies on everyone else, that making it illegal is the only
    way to do that. That and there are enough dumb ****ing politicians that
    want to pander to deep pocket ideologists for money and votes that, not
    having a brain being a prerequisite for office, makes them an easy target
    for support for these scum of the earth.