Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in US

  1. #21
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    "Hello....yes, my client does NOT approve of this thread!"








  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,794
    so it's OK to hunt, kill and eat Bambi, but it's not OK to eat horse?


    don't get it

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What's next? Dogs and cats...
    Eating ***** is an issue?

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Eating ***** is an issue?


    Can I buy a "u" Vanna?




  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,680
    I say to each their own. Eat what you want.

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.
    That's what vegans contend. But you are either all in or out when it comes to animal slaughter for food. Why does a chicken or calf have less value than a horse?
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 11-30-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Wrong word

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I just think the whole thing is wrong.
    If you've ever cared for these animals or been around them for any length of time, there is no way you could be for this.
    some people are also very loving of sheep.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    5,093
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Cattle prices are way up and will continue to do so. Our cattle herds have been reduced to in part that cattle ranchers have found more profit in growing corn than cattle.

    Sounds like we'll have to pony up some dough.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    In the U.S. , we currently and commonly eat:

    Cows
    Goats
    Sheep
    Pigs
    Buffalo
    Deer
    Elk
    Moose
    (All the above are ungulates)
    Chickens & Turkeys
    Aligators & Snakes & Turtles

    How does a Horse differ, in factual and legal terms, from these other ungulates we consume? Why an objection to one ungulate vs. the dozen or so others we (as a specieis) raise or hunt for food?

    I, for one, do not see any meaningful similarities between eating a Horse and eating a Cat or Dog, two animals not generally considered as food items throughout the course of western civilization history.
    don't forget armadillos

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    some people are also very loving of sheep.
    aaaaaand....we 're off!

  12. #32
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    That's what vegans contend. But you are either all in or out when it comes to animal slaughter for food. Why does a chicken or calf have less value than a horse?
    Because those other animals have always been bred for food for generations.
    Horses haven't.

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Because those other animals have always been bred for food for generations.
    Horses haven't.
    I hear what you're saying, but horses have been bred for food in many European nations. If I remember correctly, there were equine butcheries in New Jersey back in the 60s.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    5,093
    Horse meat gives me the trots.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Culture, like music and art, is subjective to the individual. What you see as culture, I may see as foul, and vice versa. Snails and Smelly Cheese are both considered the heights of cuisine of other, generally considered cultured, nations.

    That claim is not enough for outright illegallity. Nor does it explain why a Horse is different from other ungulates we consume regularly.
    I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

    I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,794
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

    I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.
    i think you're both saying the same thing, only he has a fistier way of expressing himself.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i think you're both saying the same thing, only he has a fistier way of expressing himself.


    He is the Warfist.

  18. #38
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I disagree. Your culture, or heritage, or however you wish to call it, is collective, not indiviual. Your cultural heritage is to find a haggis a delicacy, which doesn't mean you like it as a person. I only tasted a steak tartare 5-6 years ago, because I found the idea repulsive.

    I guess what I'm getting at is we have cultural 'markers' which are difficult to shake off. The idea of eating a horse is as repulsive to an American as eating a dog is for me. If I'd grown up in China (or wherever they eat dogs) it would be something else.
    Agreed, but still as warfist said this is not enough for illegality.

    an example; we're a nation 99% of which is muslim to some extent so there is almost no pork consumption at all. But there are active pig farms in Turkey. Same thing. Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,219
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Agreed, but still as warfist said this is not enough for illegality.

    an example; we're a nation 99% of which is muslim to some extent so there is almost no pork consumption at all. But there are active pig farms in Turkey. Same thing. Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?
    Agreed, I didn't get that first time around.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,129
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Americans can decide to eat horse meat or not but why make it illegal?
    Because there are so many dumb ****ing Americans that want to push their
    dumb ****ing ideologies on everyone else, that making it illegal is the only
    way to do that. That and there are enough dumb ****ing politicians that
    want to pander to deep pocket ideologists for money and votes that, not
    having a brain being a prerequisite for office, makes them an easy target
    for support for these scum of the earth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us