Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Ryan overselling or did he misjudge talent ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Ryan overselling or did he misjudge talent ?

I think this is the best roster that weve had since weve been here and everything that Ive said in the past is still in play, he said, referring to his Super Bowl guarantees.

Ryan was either lying or badly misjudged the talent Mike Tannenbaum assembled. The 2011 Jets are not as good as their predecessors under Ryan the past two years.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/fool_bold_Tr44n9AFXXDNk6fQMQoK0O#ixzz1fC0p2Oix[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;4257746]I think this is the best roster that weve had since weve been here and everything that Ive said in the past is still in play, he said, referring to his Super Bowl guarantees.

Ryan was either lying or badly misjudged the talent Mike Tannenbaum assembled. The 2011 Jets are not as good as their predecessors under Ryan the past two years.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/fool_bold_Tr44n9AFXXDNk6fQMQoK0O#ixzz1fC0p2Oix[/url][/QUOTE]

Rex misjudged the talent. We are just not that talented on both sides of the ball and the key is that the coaching has not been sufficient to make up the difference on both sides of the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan has a big mouth. He loves talking and hyping his team and himself up. He talks mainly to try and instill confidence in his team and himself. But I think he realizes now that all that hype & talk is wearing out. Most of the fans are tired of it and the media is beginning to see it as a joke.

If he doesn't win a super bowl he will be the biggest laughing stock this town has ever seen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Ryan knows exactly the type of team he has and its talent level.

He talks to motivate and instill the confidence needed to complete their dream of a SB title.

There is clearly things going on behind the scenes that non of us are privy to but will come out after the season.
    You can tell by the tone of his voice and the qb's voice that things are not right in Florham Park.

Plenty of changes around the bend.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A combination of both..... but most likely more of REX just talking up his guys which shouldn't surprise anyone.

He even said positive things about Gholston.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really love these articles.....Costello mentions that the fans love affair with this team is on shaky ground.....is he out of his mind? If the fans suffered through 95 and 96 and 40 years without a SuperBowl, do you think we are ever going anywhere? Honestly. I will admit that Rex will say some things that make you shake your head but most of what he does is gives his players credit. I just don't see what's wrong with that. These are the guys theu have. Does he have Aaron Rogers at QB and DeMarcus Ware rushing the QB, no he does not. He is going to battle with what he has and will make the most of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4257761]I think Ryan knows exactly the type of team he has and its talent level.

He talks to motivate and instill the confidence needed to complete their dream of a SB title.

There is clearly things going on behind the scenes that non of us are privy to but will come out after the season.
    You can tell by the tone of his voice and the qb's voice that things are not right in Florham Park.

Plenty of changes around the bend.[/QUOTE]

+1 I'm inclined to agree with this. I don't know what it is but you can feel the life being drained out of this team. Something is going on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex definitely wasn't lying, but he misjudged. Can you blame him?

His starting receivers are two pro-bowl players who both have made game-winning catches in Super Bowls. His TE is a receiving threat that should create mismatches with any player that tries to cover him. His OL was top-5 the last two years and was only introducing one new starter - a guy who started and played well down the stretch. His defense returned completely intact, with top draft picks added to bolster the one unit that needed the most improvement.

There's no way he could have envisioned that his 3rd-year QB would regress and that his OC wouldn't be able to pull the QB out of his funk. There's no way he could have envisioned that the running game would be completely ineffective when it had all but one of the same pieces. And he probably didn't realize just how bad his safeties are in coverage and that good teams would be able to exploit them to the degree that they have.

I think this season has taught Rex to watch it with the preseason predictions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4257761]I think Ryan knows exactly the type of team he has and its talent level.

Plenty of changes around the bend.[/QUOTE]

+1000000000000

It doesn't take a blind man to see that this team lacks talent.

But he feels that he can "will" a championship by motivating the players to play out of their minds, which is what he should be doing. I wouldn't want my coach to put his tail between his legs and take back his guarantee. It's our job as fans to doubt and feel bad about the team not his....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's see, we have downgraded at all of the following positions/areas since last year:
    RT
    OL Depth
    WR
    Blocking TE
    Wildcat option
    OLB
    punter

What position/area has been upgraded since last year? I really can't name one!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OHJet;4257834]Let's see, we have downgraded at all of the following positions/areas since last year:
    RT
    OL Depth
    WR
    Blocking TE
    Wildcat option
    OLB
    punter

What position/area has been upgraded since last year? I really can't name one![/QUOTE]

But you have to remember that Rex made that statement before the season. There were plenty people that had doubts about the roster, but here was the thinking (at least on JI) back in August:

RT - Hunter played great in the playoffs and might be an upgrade over Woody
    OL Depth - This wasn't a concern until Turner went down
    WR - Braylon is a headcase and if Plax can run he'll be an upgrade
    Blocking TE - Hartsock is so bad, Mulligan can't possibly be worse (LOL)
    Wildcat option - So glad Smith is gone, now we don't have to see the Wildcat every six plays
    OLB - Pace will be healthy this year, and Thomas has been great against the run
    punter - Weatherford was atrocious in the playoffs (and is punter really a position that's impacted the team?)

With the benefit of hindsight, Rex looks like a fool. But again, he couldn't have forecasted just how poorly some of these replacements would play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    But you have to remember that Rex made that statement before the season. There were plenty people that had doubts about the roster, but here was the thinking (at least on JI) back in August:

[B]This is a valid statement at the time.[/B]
    [B]Not really valid as if all depth goes out the window with one injury you are asking for trouble.[/B]
    [B]By FAR the worst off season moves the Jets made were over hauling the WR dept. If you recall he also thought Mason was going to catch 90 pass.[/B]
    [B]Everyone and thier dog knew mulligan was a dog.[/B]
    Wildcat option - So glad Smith is gone, now we don't have to see the Wildcat every six plays
    [B]The Wildcat was a big part of at least one win last year, having said that it's time is done unless the guy can actually throw a pass.[/B]
    [B]Both fine run stopping olb's but we have fine run stopping DE and NT as well. Neither pace nor thomas can rush the passer.[/B]
    punter - Weatherford was atrocious in the playoffs (and is punter really a position that's impacted the team?)
    [B]The idea is to upgrade though, replacing one jag with another doesn't make you better.[/B]

With the benefit of hindsight, Rex looks like a fool. But again, he couldn't have forecasted just how poorly some of these replacements would play.

[B]You forgot to mention our god awful safeties. Most of the glaring holes on this team have been holes for years, pass rush olb and safeties and lack of overall depth leading the way. He has paid the price for ignoring them[/B]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex was "lying" if you really want to call it that.

I filter everything Rex says. Filtered Rex was saying: If this team plays to the best of their ability, we will win the Super Bowl.

That doesn't count for much though, because no team ever plays to the best of their ability. It's rare that a team plays to even 90% of their potential. Of course, we've only been playing at about 50% through the first 12 weeks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4257892]But you have to remember that Rex made that statement before the season. There were plenty people that had doubts about the roster, but here was the thinking (at least on JI) back in August:

With the benefit of hindsight, Rex looks like a fool. But again, he couldn't have forecasted just how poorly some of these replacements would play.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I'll be the first to admit I had no worries about Wayne Hunter enterting the season. He looked great against New England and Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year, and looked good in the regular season too.

He's been a human turnstyle so it's easy to kill the FO for going into the season with him as the RT, but there's a reason they did. He played well enough to inspire confidence he could do it.

The only position where it was obvious we had taken a step back entering the season was WR. There was no way Plax and Mason were going to be upgrades over Braylon and Cotch.

I'm still scratching my head over releasing Cotch, even if he wanted it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    is SOJF RMeyer wasting our time with another hideous unnecessary thread or is he just an idiot??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4257920]Agreed.

I'll be the first to admit I had no worries about Wayne Hunter enterting the season. He looked great against New England and Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year, and looked good in the regular season too.

He's been a human turnstyle so it's easy to kill the FO for going into the season with him as the RT, but there's a reason they did. He played well enough to inspire confidence he could do it.

The only position where it was obvious we had taken a step back entering the season was WR. There was no way Plax and Mason were going to be upgrades over Braylon and Cotch.

[B]I'm still scratching my head over releasing Cotch, even if he wanted it.[/B][/QUOTE]

Well he wanted it, so that's why he was released.
    Now in hindsight, the question can be asked if we kept the right number 1 receiver, but we couldn't keep both of them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think that this is the best of the three teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4258108]Well he wanted it, so that's why he was released.
    Now in hindsight, the question can be asked if we kept the right number 1 receiver, but we couldn't keep both of them.[/QUOTE]

Why not? The jets were prepared to sling around 15 million to aso.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4258209]Why not? The jets were prepared to sling around 15 million to aso.[/QUOTE]

lol...

Link?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;4257746]
    Ryan was either:
    a) lying or
    b) badly misjudged the talent Mike Tannenbaum assembled.
    [/QUOTE]

Or:
    c) has underperformed as a head coach