Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller...

Dustin Keller...

underused or overrated?

to a degree its the same argument we had with chris baker (obv baker never produced like keller has)...but if the guy is trully a matchup nightmare and sanchez has an issue making multiple reads before needing to get rid of it i would expect this dudes numbers to be up there...which they kind of arent.

All League
    Hard to say that he's underused considering he leads the team in targets. I think he's just appropriately used. He's not as good as a lot of us hoped.

he's our leader in receptions, is he not?

so i don't think "underused" is the right term. "misused" is probably better.

Keller is at his best when he's allowed to go downfield, where LB's can't keep up and DB's have a hard time bringing him down.

[QUOTE=K-Met57;4258104]underused or overrated?

to a degree its the same argument we had with chris baker (obv baker never produced like keller has)...but if the guy is trully a matchup nightmare and sanchez has an issue making multiple reads before needing to get rid of it i would expect this dudes numbers to be up there...which they kind of arent.[/QUOTE]

I think that he is a bit of both.
    Like this Sunday on the first drive, he dropped two passes.
    If you want to be used more, catch those passes.

the dude kind of reminds me of braylon...u know with his ability and measurables he should be ripping it up...but he is just good...and thats probbably what he will end up being.

I think his middle of the road production is just a function of the offense. Schotty + a ground and pound philosophy make it hard for any player to stand out statistically.

Teams game plan specifically for Keller. He is our most dangerous and unique offensive weapon. I think he is a top 5 talent at the position and has a good attitude.

Keller is a top 10 TE in the NFL. He is underused and unappreciated by many.

All Pro
    He could probably be used a bit better, but would say he's closer to overrated than underused.

He just doesn't have great hands and clearly isnt as hard to cover as we thought he might be.

He's an above average tight end, but he's too inconsistent to be considered a top tier TE.

I like but don't love him. My one pet peeve is that he is kinda soft. Obviously he didn't look that way on his second TD, but having two balls ripped out of your hands for fumbles/picks the past two season aggravated me to no end.

My favorite thing about him is he can really stretch the field for a TE. In that regard, I'd consider it an elite skill for him at that position.

All Pro
    Overrated.

Keller is an average TE who doesn't excel in any particular phase of the game. His hands and speed are decent for the position, but he struggles with run blocking, yards after contact, and making big plays. He's essentially a slow wide receiver out on the field.

In my view, the team should look to move on after Keller's rookie contract expires. The future of the position is best characterized by a Gronkowski, Graham, Finley type of player: big athletic basketball players with great hands, speed, and box out skills.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Overrated.

Keller is an average TE who doesn't excel in any particular phase of the game. His hands and speed are decent for the position, but he struggles with run blocking, yards after contact, and making big plays. He's essentially a slow wide receiver out on the field.

In my view, the team should look to move on after Keller's rookie contract expires. The future of the position is best characterized by a Gronkowski, Graham, Finley type of player: big athletic basketball players with great hands, speed, and box out skills. [/QUOTE]

This. He is not overated nationally because he is thought of as an average tight end. Its only on this board that he is thought of as Tony Gonzazles but just doesnt get the opportunity to show that.

Do we need to upgrade? I do not think so. Unless we find a gem in the later rounds, Id rather use our high draft pciks on other positions of need.

if you took guys like keller and holmes and put them on pass-friendly teams, they'd have better stats. at a certain point, it is about the system. the jets don't attempt the types of passes that can give these guys the stats they need to make pro bowls.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=parafly;4258196]Overrated.

In my view, the team should look to move on after Keller's rookie contract expires. The future of the position is best characterized by a Gronkowski, Graham, Finley type of player: big athletic basketball players with great hands, speed, and box out skills.[/QUOTE]

this. While he is a good player, he's basically more of a bigger receiver than a complete tight end. If he was a better blocker it would help his cause. Being a one-trick pony helps defenses key in on him.
    That being said, definitely worth keeping around, but they need another quality option to complement him, so they can succesfully run 2 TE formations.

All Pro

In my view, the team should look to move on after Keller's rookie contract expires. The future of the position is best characterized by a Gronkowski, Graham, Finley type of player: big athletic basketball players with great hands, speed, and box out skills.[/QUOTE]

Good post. A little harsh (I'd say hes better than average) but overall very good points, particularly about the future of the position (except that's been the protype since Gonzalez, people just haven't caught on yet, lol).

He is soft, that is the biggest thing. Against the Patriots Mark's 2nd INT was due to Keller getting knocked to the ground by some nobody LB. If you hit him a lot he struggles to get open.

But hes not a bad player, hes leading our team in receiving.

40 catches 574 yards 4 TDs, hes having his best year so far.

Best receiving TE the Jets have had in a long time.

Veteran

That's what everyone has been saying since Gates, and its certainly true to a point. The problem is 1) those guys are super rare 2) lots of OCs don't seem to understand how to use a TE like that 3) those three TEs also happen to be in ridiculously amazing offenses with ridiculously, ridiculously talented QBs and 4) those same TEs seem to have problems staying healthy. Gates is basically done, Finley hasn't put in a full season yet, and Gronk missed a whole year in college (though seems fine now). Most likely just a fluke, but it could also be part of playing that position that way.

Overrated by a wide margin. His blocking however is adequate and he's really done a nice job there.

But receiving he's just not good enough... Although he's capable of making really good catches, he's not comfortable or good at catching the ball in traffic, something a TE must be able to do.

And he's pretty useless after the catch. Even though he's bigger, he plays extremely small and is tackled fairly easily.

I let Keller go when his contract is up and just take my chance on getting someone else.

All League
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4258111]he's our leader in receptions, is he not?

so i don't think "underused" is the right term. "misused" is probably better.

Keller is at his best when he's allowed to go downfield, where LB's can't keep up and DB's have a hard time bringing him down.[/QUOTE]

Agree, he isn't the best TE but, better than good. The main question is rather, do we re-sign him after this current contract? If we aren't going to use him the way many would because of this offense, why make the investment?

All League
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4258104]underused or overrated?

to a degree its the same argument we had with chris baker (obv baker never produced like keller has)...but if the guy is trully a matchup nightmare and sanchez has an issue making multiple reads before needing to get rid of it i would expect this dudes numbers to be up there...which they kind of arent.[/QUOTE]

On a pass first team Keller would equal say a Dallas Clark or Jason Witten in receptions if he had a QB like Romo or Manning. I think he is a above average TE in our system, and would be a pro-bowl TE if he played in a past first team. We are a run oriented team who at times becomes pass happy which reflects in his stats. I'm sure he will be extended this offseason, he is a very solid player for us. His position doesnt say 'core' but he definately is one of the core members of this team along with Sanchez, Holmes, Mangold, DBrick, Moore, Harris, Muhhamed and Revis.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4258328]Overrated by a wide margin. His blocking however is adequate and he's really done a nice job there.

But receiving he's just not good enough... Although he's capable of making really good catches, he's not comfortable or good at catching the ball in traffic, something a TE must be able to do.

And he's pretty useless after the catch. Even though he's bigger, he plays extremely small and is tackled fairly easily.

I let Keller go when his contract is up and just take my chance on getting someone else.[/QUOTE]

i'd rather have the jets get 2 bigger, better blocking TEs who can catch over the middle and also be more of an impact in the running game.