Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Chevy Volt - You're paying to build it...and to investigate it

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4259368]GM made the annoucement at the end of September.

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/gm-cuts-china-electric-car-deal----a-china-shakedown/1[/url]
    [/QUOTE]

read your own link "Unclear is whether this would also lead to assembly of future EVs for the U.S. market in China."

there is a considerable import cost to transporting assembled cars across an ocean. as the price labor goes up in China, this becomes less likely not more likely.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4259400]read your own link "Unclear is whether this would also lead to assembly of future EVs for the U.S. market in China."

there is a considerable import cost to transporting assembled cars across an ocean. as the price labor goes up in China, this becomes less likely not more likely.[/QUOTE]

That's not the point. GM's profit is in Asia the market for these ev's in Asia is dependent on them being built their not here. As more assembly, spare parts and technology for these cars goes over to China the more likely it is they will be producing for our market. The whole point of subsidizing technology is to keep it here. The big multi nationals have no reason to keep tech here.

I would also bet it's competitive to ship to both the WC and the EC by ship from China as it is to ship by piggy back inland from plants in the US to the major markets. Ocean freight is relatively cheap. I can move containers from Asia to LA cheaper than I can ship a Truck from Chicago to LA.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4259449] I would also bet it's competitive to ship to both the WC and the EC by ship from China as it is to ship by piggy back inland from plants in the US to the major markets. Ocean freight is relatively cheap. I can move containers from Asia to LA cheaper than I can ship a Truck from Chicago to LA.[/QUOTE]

the price of labor in China goes up daily. it's not as cheap as it used to be. GM Sells in USA and CHina i don't see why this is a terrible thing. Their Chinese business in many ways subsidizes their American business. bottom line there are jobs in America and cutting edge technology being developed, what are you complaining about again? Let me know when they move the Volt Production overseas, until then it's just paranoia.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

It's cool 'cause all that 'lectricity comes out of nowhere. That's why my monthly 'lectric bill is around $400.

[QUOTE=Piper;4260085]It's cool 'cause all that 'lectricity comes out of nowhere. That's why my monthly 'lectric bill is around $400.[/QUOTE]

if Shoreham nuclear was operational that probably wouldn't be the case. NIMBYs.

The Volt has been catching fire, Chevy has offered to buy them back. So much for technology at least from GM!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4260100]The Volt has been catching fire, Chevy has offered to buy them back. So much for technology at least from GM![/QUOTE]

Your tax dollars at work.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4260100]The Volt has been catching fire, Chevy has offered to buy them back. So much for technology at least from GM![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][url]http://www.theblaze.com/stories/new-worries-chevy-volt-battery-unexpectedly-catches-fire%E2%80%A6three-weeks-after-being-damaged/[/url]

It all started when a Chevy Volt caught fire a full three weeks after its lithium-ion battery was damaged in a government crash test, federal officials said Friday.

If itís any consolation to consumers, after the Volt fire, NHTSA and GM each replicated the crash test and waited three weeks, but in neither case did the cars catch fire, officials said. Nor were the carsí batteries damaged in those tests, officials said.[/QUOTE]

Car gets in a test collision and then catches fire 3 weeks later.

RUN TO THE HILLS! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

My foreign car is fueled by this stuff...it's yellowish and smells strong. But that sh*t is flammable. I demand an explanation :steamin:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4260192]
    My foreign car is fueled by this stuff...it's yellowish and smells strong. But that sh*t is flammable. I demand an explanation :steamin:[/QUOTE]

it's it apple juice? i heard that can be some nasty sheet

All League
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4259096]The volt is a piece of garbage, they catch fire, they use electricity and they must use electricity to recharge. So want are the saving? Think before answering![/QUOTE]

Ya know, those gasoline powered cars have also been know to catch fire.

Not 3 days later! Forty thousand for a car that needs a charge every few hours. Power must grow on trees! Another Obama Moment!

Jets Insider VIP
    [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="7"][B]CHEVY VOLT!!![/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3000000/Notapusy-steve-holt-3033209-1280-720.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4261314][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="7"][B]CHEVY VOLT!!![/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

lmfao!!!!!!!!

All League
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4261295]Not 3 days later! Forty thousand for a car that needs a charge every few hours. Power must grow on trees! Another Obama Moment![/QUOTE]

That's true. Those gas cars sometimes burst into flames right on the highway just like this one:
    [IMG]http://www.houston-truckaccidentlawyer.com/2010-10-04_08.04.13.jpg[/IMG]

Hopefully the passenger got out?

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4261314][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="7"][B]CHEVY VOLT!!![/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] [/QUOTE]

It's as Ann as the nose on plains face

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4261415]lmfao!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Arrested Development !