Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought Mo' was supposed to be the answer to our lack of a pass rush?!?!?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Mo' was supposed to be the answer to our lack of a pass rush?!?!?

What do you guys think? Is he living up to expectations?? Seems solid but not really a "star."

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flymax;4258707]What do you guys think? Is he living up to expectations?? Seems solid but not really a "star."[/QUOTE]

3-4 DE's do not get many sacks. They occupy blockers for our OLB's to make plays.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He's a 3-4 D-lineman, he was not supposed to be the answer to our pass rush problems. He's doing very well in his role, and I would think a couple of sacks will be coming from him as well.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flymax;4258707]What do you guys think? Is he living up to expectations?? Seems solid but not really a "star."[/QUOTE]

When you were a freshman were you kicking the seniors asssses? It takes time to adjust on all levels.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    3-4 (5 Technique) DE's generally do not produce a lot of sacks because of their role. They must shoot the gap and mainly eat up blockers to free space for the LB's to make the majority of the plays. If you thought Mo was gonna be a 10-12 sack a year guy then you were misled.

The writeup on Mo was that he was very athletic for a 3-4 DE and had pass rushing ability, but because of the nature of his position he probably won't be seeing double digit sacks.

I think 4-6 sacks for him would be an EXCELLENT season for him rushing the passer :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not an edge rusher.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you thought this, then you have no understanding of the Jets or the 3-4 defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are not many 315-330 pound pass rushers in the NFL.

He is a 3-4 DE/DT (they line him up at both) hybrid type who main job is to set the edge and occupy blocks for the LBs.

I think eventually he will have the ability to be a 5-8 sack guy but I think that is the absolute highest ceiling for him and do not expect it.

In the Jets current system and scheme they look for the OLBs to be the pass rushers. Ideally the Jets would have a guy that can play with both his hand on the ground or from a two-point (Ware, Williams). Hopefully they can uncover one. Maybin would be if he was bigger and could play every down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4258722]If you thought this, then you have no understanding of the Jets or the 3-4 defense.[/QUOTE]

That's really all there is to it. This board needs an iq test for thread starting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the OP is getting at is Rex did say that the pass rush will improve because of the new additions to the d line.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love him. Can;t wait to see more Ellis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson has been great so far.

the pass-rush will come as he progresses as a player.

i have really high expectations for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing Mo is already one of the best at in the NFL is getting runners in the backfield. To compare him to A guy like Justin Smith, arguably the best 3-4 DE in the NFL, Smith has 1 TFL, Mo has 6. Guy is gonna be a monster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not everybody knows the details of how defenses work .. let's cut him some slack.

Problem is Mo is doing his job pretty well, but the LBs aren't exactly lighting it up. A step too slow now. And that step is a difference between making a play and not. The speed and the fact that our OLBs just aren't that good at the moment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see the 1-2 punch with Ellis on the line.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IRONFAN 40;4258848]Would love to see the 1-2 punch with Ellis on the line.[/QUOTE]

sure we'll get to see a little more of it Sunday with Devito out. Ellis just needs to use his 350 lb frame and clog that middle. though it's not as easy as it sounds believe it or not

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4258722]If you thought this, then you have no understanding of the Jets or the 3-4 defense.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nybaseball5;4258709]3-4 DE's do not get many sacks. They occupy blockers for our OLB's to make plays.[/QUOTE]

And Mo was supposed to help as he's the DE you mentioned. His addition should be freeing up LB's to make sacks but do we see that happening?

If Mo was taking up double teams we should be seeing guys like Pace getting in there for sacks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mo has done a very nice job in his rookie year. Not only that, but the guy only recently turned 22. People were begging for Brooks Reed but he turns 25 in Feb.

Wilkerson hasn't been used a ton as an inside pass rusher. Dixon has gotten more of those snaps which I don't have a problem with because Dixon is getting pretty good at it.

Eventually I envision Big Mo rushing from the inside and getting around the 6 sack mark which I would be very happy with. The guy has exceptional athleticism for his size and his arm length is a huge plus as well.

He also shows a great ability to stay healthy and people don't understand how important that is.

Interior guys on the line typically take a bit of time to figure everything out. No reason to think that Mo won't do the same.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is having a tremendous rookie year. He is both disciplined and disruptive, exactly what you want from a 3-4 DE. And he will only get better.

He's going to be a key cog for us for a long time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much what everyone else has said.

3-4 DE starting every game in his rookie year. He has been good all year, and fantastic the last 3 weeks or so.