Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Clayton: Jets need to upgrade talent around Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP

John Clayton: Jets need to upgrade talent around Sanchez

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7297841/pool-hot-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-running-dry[/url]

[QUOTE]"Q: You told a Jets fan to expect Mark Sanchez to be the QB for several years. But what about Peyton Manning? The Colts are making clear signs they'll pick Andrew Luck. With all the holes on that team, it makes much more sense to trade Manning than Luck.

[B]Joe in New York[/B]"

A: I don't see a trade for Manning because his $28 million option bonus is due before the start of the 2012 trading period. If the Jets want to sign him, they can sign him if he hits the open market. But Jets coach Rex Ryan is committed to Sanchez. You can't go to AFC title games every year. I know the Bills did it for four years but that was a rarity. Like it or not, the Jets' quarterback is Sanchez.[B] They just have to upgrade the talent around him.[/B][/QUOTE]

Wide receivers? Running back? Offensive line?

Hall Of Fame
    Johan Clayton sure is a handsome man.

Also seems like you cherry picked. What did he say right before he suggested to upgrade the talent around him? "Rex is committed . . . Like it or not, the Jets QB is Sanchez"
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4258956]Johan Clayton sure is a handsome man.[/QUOTE]

He looked better in high school, as this prom photo indicates.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/cryptkeeper.jpg/][IMG]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/766/cryptkeeper.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4258953] Wide receivers? Running back? Offensive line?[/QUOTE]

Offensive Coordinator? :confused: :dunno:

[QUOTE=carlito1171;4258964]Offensive Coordinator? :confused: :dunno:[/QUOTE]

New GM and owner?

Clayton knows nothing...

But he is right in that the Jets have to upgrade the talent. However, Rex has stated a few times that he believes that Peyton is the best QB in the league (even above Brady) and I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't be at least a little interested in picking him up.

Personally, if my doctors told me that Peyton looks in good enough shape, I'd pick up Manning in a second and figure out what to do with Sanchez after. I really think we wouldn't lose a game with Peyton at QB.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4258967]Clayton knows nothing...

But he is right in that the Jets have to upgrade the talent.
    . . .

I really think we wouldn't lose a game with Peyton at QB.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4258956]Johan Clayton sure is a handsome man.

Also seems like you cherry picked. What did he say right before he suggested to upgrade the talent around him? "Rex is committed . . . Like it or not, the Jets QB is Sanchez"[/QUOTE]

What did I cherry pick? I posted the entire quote. The relevant part was what needs to be done, in Clayton's opinion, to fix the Jets. He didn't mention the coordinator, he didn't say it was time to move away from Sanchez (even if there was a commitment to him), he said it was offensive talent around the QB, correct?

It's pretty simple, obvious statement. They do need to upgrade the talent around him. We have no speed on offense with the exception of Joe McKnight.

If we can upgrade the RT spot along with a WR who's a legit deep threat. I think that's good enough. And if possible a real bruiser at RB, since Green seems to be the one getting bruised these days.

A 6-3 Beast WR...OL- RT...TE( for 2 TE offense) RB(LT will be gone).

All Pro
    It's crazy how selective people are when they process information.

Michael Lombardi said this same thing last week, and if it's what Lombardi said "he heard" from various sources, and scouts... Their most immediate concerns are OL and RB.

Again, that's what Lombardi said game film is bearing out, and what scouts are saying, etc.

He said that the Jets need a blue/red chip player at RB. As, Shonn doesn't seem like he's going to be able to be that guy who carries the running game, and, apparently, Lombardi said there are also injury/toughness concerns tied to Shonn, too. Said "insiders" think he goes down, essentially every time he gets hit, etc.

I don't know if it's possible Clayton was referring to thinking/hearing the same thing or not, but...

Jets Insider VIP
    So we know have three different media "analysts" saying the same thing, that the Jets have to upgrade the talent around Sanchez? Lombardi, Clayton and Dilfer?

This doesn't mean the offensive talent around Sanchez is the only problem, however.

[QUOTE=lovethejets;4259049]Michael Lombardi said this same thing last week, and if it's what Lombardi said "he heard" from various sources, and scouts... Their most immediate concerns are OL and RB.

Again, that's what Lombardi said game film is bearing out, and what scouts are saying, etc.

He said that the Jets need a blue/red chip player at RB. As, Shonn doesn't seem like he's going to be able to be that guy who carries the running game, and, apparently, Lombardi said there are also injury/toughness concerns tied to Shonn, too. Said "insiders" think he goes down, essentially every time he gets hit, etc.

I don't know if it's possible Clayton was referring to thinking/hearing the same thing or not, but...[/QUOTE]

I would think WR is a bigger concern then RB. Fix the oline and the RB's will be fine. We already have some youth at that position. Our WR's are old and not getting any seperation. If we can somehow clone Megatron...

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4259058]So we know have three different media "analysts" saying the same thing, that the Jets have to upgrade the talent around Sanchez? Lombardi, Clayton and Dilfer?

This doesn't mean the offensive talent around Sanchez is the only problem, however.[/QUOTE]

Safeties and LBs are big needs too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;4259067]I would think WR is a bigger concern then RB. Fix the oline and the RB's will be fine. We already have some youth at that position. Our WR's are old and not getting any seperation. If we can somehow clone Megatron...[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with our WRs. Plax can still play. Santonio is a top 10 WR. We need a better OL. How bout designing some better plays that focus on Tone and give Sanchez an OL that gives him some time to throw the ball - watch what will happen.

Jets Insider VIP

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

Kind of crazy when you think about it. This team has been to two AFC title games and are in position for another possible postseason birth without getting big contributions from the QB position, RB, or WR. (Well, mostly. TJ had a great 09).

Compared to the other teams who have gotten there and will be in the mix this year, they at least have "the guy" at one of the three key offensive skill positions right?

Pats - Brady/Welker
    Steelers - Ben/Wallace
    Ravens - Rice
    Colts - Peyton/Wayne
    Texans (for this year only obviously) - Andre Johnson/Foster
    Chargers - Rivers/Gates/Jackson
    Chiefs (last year) - Charles/Bowe

They all have at least one guy who keeps defensive coordinators up at night, we don't have any (Sorry, Holmes isn't scaring anyone - leave that for debate whether thats because of our offensive scheme, our QB, Holmes himself, or whatever) yet we've been to two straight AFC title games. Obviously, our defense has been the biggest cog in that, but still, when looking at skill position talent compared to the other teams who have been in the hunt consistently, amazing how we stack up (or lack of stacking up I should say).

how about a QB coach that has actually played QB?

Lombardi covered the WRs.

He said that he loves Holmes, all of the scouting reports this season have been good on Holmes, Holmes is a top caliber player, mentioned that Holmes looks great on tape he's seen this season, said that Holmes hasn't been targeted a lot of the times he's been open, for reasons unbeknownst to him, although he suspects it has to do with the o-line and Mark being jittery given the protection issues, and then he went on to discuss Plax, and said he thinks that Plax is a problem, however.

Said that Plax doesn't have the speed needed, it puts added pressure on Mark and Holmes, and that Plax should be transitioned to a red zone target, and they should line someone bigger/complementary to Holmes, on the other side of Holmes.

Lombardi said this stuff on a podcast and on NFLN about two weeks ago.

Lombardi also said that a large part of the problem for Mark and our skill players is that we're telegraphing, and that makes it difficult for skill players to run their routes and not be undercut, or bumped, or pushed off their landmarks, or disrupted somehow.

So, that throws timing and placement off. Lombardi said people around the league watched the Denver game, and knew what we were doing. Which, makes the skill players seem like they're performing horribly, when really, they never had a shot to begin with, because the defenders anticipate and know what to do to keep them from making plays. Lombardi said that Heath Evans and himself were watching together, and knew what plays we'd be running, etc. And that they weren't the only ones.