Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deangelo Hall Calls Out Sanchez

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Deangelo Hall Calls Out Sanchez

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/12/redskins_db_deangelo_hall_call.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said that Mark Sanchez still telegraphs his passes, placing much of the onus on his wide receivers to move the football.

He doesnt take as many chances as much as he just gets confused some times, Hall told The Washington Post. [B]A lot of times he just comes out and stares a receiver down, tries to throw him the ball. He puts it on those guys to make plays. They havent made as many plays this year as they have in previous years.[/B]

This, along with the fact that Hall thinks Sanchez is still carving out his identity as a passer, leaves the DB to believe that they're not facing an elite-level quarterback.

Id say hes middle-of-the-pack," Hall said. "Definitely not the worst in the league. Hes a capable quarterback. Hes taken them to a couple AFC Championships, so he definitely knows how to win the big games.

Rex Ryan called Sunday's game the team's biggest pass-rushing challenge since the Baltimore debacle back in Week 4, which Hall thinks could turn into a big advantage for the Redskins. He pointed to the obvious notion that when the run game is taken away and Sanchez is pressured, he tends to struggle more.

If you can discourage them from running the ball and try to attack the quarterback, hes a young guy whos still finding his way," Hall said. "Hes got a lot of talent, but if you can harass him and make him take it all on his shoulders, thats your best chance to win.

Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer disagreed in part, saying that the film on Sanchez is misleading.

"I don't think so, I think obviously there's times where any quarterback, people are going to say they're staring down their receiver," he said. "I think you have to, the way DB's play in this league, you have to get your eyes over there at some point.

"But I wouldn't say that when we evaluate it that he's staring down receivers. We think that he's working through progressions. There's some decisions he'd like to have back, but I don't agree with that. I think maybe at times he'll lock on to one..."

Schottenheimer referenced Sanchez's third-quarter touchdown pass to Dustin Keller as the perfect example.

"He was working Santonio on the front side, didn't like it, had to move and get his eyes right on No. 2 -- made a great throw."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy has a point...

And...

He plays in the NFL, so I am sure he is familiar with exactly what Sanchez does right and wrong and what makes him easy to play against...

I find this pretty interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    schotty basically said, "i wouldn't say he's staring...he's more locking on"

lol :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a fair assessment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair assessment, but funny that it continues to be Sanchez Dumping On Season

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4259529]It's a fair assessment.[/QUOTE]

Agree, "Middle of the pack"....."Capable QB"....."Definitely can win big games"

Much fairer than many Jet fans are towards Sanchez....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hall forgot "extremely competitive". A comment like this should fire Mark up. It's one thing for a fan to call out Mark, but when a peer does.......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4259530]Fair assessment, but funny that it continues to be Sanchez Dumping On Season[/QUOTE]

it's funny, i guess.

Sanchez is putting better numbers across the board during a season in which his OL, RB, and WR are all significantly worse. he's not getting the benefit of being protected by a top-3 defense, and even special teams, a perennial strength under Westhoff, have put the team in a hole a few times.

when you look around the league and see how easy it is for young QB's to regress, you would think Sanchez would get a little bit more credit for fighting through adversity and improving while everything around him got worse.

i understand that people want to see him make "the leap" and become a bona fide franchise QB. i do, too. he's not there yet, but i think he's well on his way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it.....it's not like he told a lie...........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4259531]Agree, "Middle of the pack"....."Capable QB"....."Definitely can win big games"

Much fairer than many Jet fans are towards Sanchez....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm looking for the 'callout'.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Hall's comment is true, how is Schotty not held accountable for his failure to teach Sanchez?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    :huh: but I thought it was all Schottys fault?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4259544]If Hall's comment is true, how is Schotty not held accountable for his failure to teach Sanchez?[/QUOTE]

Oh there it is :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4259540]it's funny, i guess.

Sanchez is putting better numbers across the board during a season in which his OL, RB, and WR are all significantly worse. he's not getting the benefit of being protected by a top-3 defense, and even special teams, a perennial strength under Westhoff, have put the team in a hole a few times.

when you look around the league and see how easy it is for young QB's to regress, [B]you would think Sanchez would get a little bit more credit for fighting through adversity and improving while everything around him got worse.[/B]

i understand that people want to see him make "the leap" and become a bona fide franchise QB. i do, too. he's not there yet, but i think he's well on his way.[/QUOTE]

The opposite of that is happening, Mark is taking the brunt of the blame for the team's record, when we all know the things you've mentioned all take a chunk of the blame not just Mark.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4259546]Oh there it is :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yes. There it is. :rolleyes: Common sense is back. If Sanchez is staring, the WRs are missing their landmarks, the o-line isn't blocking, who is to blame? In the real world, a boss gets fired when ALL of his subordinates aren't doing their job even though they are talented. Even the Red Sox fired Francona when players were slacking off at the end of this season despite all of Francona's prior success.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 12-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4259551]Yes. There it is. :rolleyes: Common sense is back. If Sanchez is staring, the WRs are missing their landmarks, the o-line isn't blocking, who is to blame? In the real world, a boss gets fired when ALL of his subordinates aren't doing their job even though they are talented. Even the Red Sox fired Francona when players were slacking off at the end of this season despite all of Francona's success.[/QUOTE]

not to mention when said boss has a long track record of mediocre to bad results.

Sanchez has gotten better every year, but it's his fault the offense sucks.

Schotty has failed to produce a good offense in 6 years, but that's somehow not the responsibility of the OC, so he gets a pass :confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jet22dan;4259534]Hall forgot "extremely competitive". A comment like this should fire Mark up. It's one thing for a fan to call out Mark, but when a peer does.......[/QUOTE]

+1 this was a dumb bulletin board comment... any NFL player should know better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4259569]+1 this was a dumb bulletin board comment... any NFL player should know better.[/QUOTE]

D-Hall has never been known for his high IQ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4259540]it's funny, i guess.

when you look around the league and see how easy it is for young QB's to regress, you would think Sanchez would get a little bit more credit for fighting through adversity and improving while everything around him got worse.

i understand that people want to see him make "the leap" and become a bona fide franchise QB. i do, too. he's not there yet, but i think he's well on his way.[/QUOTE]

True.

The problem with this season is that all units got worse, Sanchez got better, but not better enough to compensate for the other units decline.

Let's do it like school grades:

[B][B][U]2010[/U][/B][/B]
    OLine -- A (4.0)
    Receivers -- B (3.0)
    Running Game -- B+ (3.5)
    Sanchez -- C (2.0)
    [B][U]Total:[/U][/B] B (3.1)

[B][U]2011[/U][/B]
    OLine -- C- (1.75)
    Receivers -- B - (2.75)
    Running Game -- C - (1.75)
    Sanchez -- C+ (2.50)