Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A great QB performance?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

A great QB performance?

A great QB performance?

Mark Sanchez completed 17 of his 35 passes for 180 yards for a 48.5 completion percentage. But, he had 4 TD passes and 1 INT. His season completion percentage is about 56%.

So many times we hear the terms “intangibles” or “he is a winner,” etc. Tim Tebow is an example of that. I am not comparing Mark Sanchez to Tim Tebow in any way.

My questions:

Can the Jets live with a QB that never has a season where he completes 60% or more of his passes?

Does Mark Sanchez have those intangibles and do they even exist?

BTW, The Jets pulled off a good one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sharachow;4259894]A great QB performance?

Mark Sanchez completed 17 of his 35 passes for 180 yards for a 48.5 completion percentage. But, he had 4 TD passes and 1 INT. His season completion percentage is about 56%.

So many times we hear the terms “intangibles” or “he is a winner,” etc. Tim Tebow is an example of that. I am not comparing Mark Sanchez to Tim Tebow in any way.

My questions:

[B]Can the Jets live with a QB that never has a season where he completes 60% or more of his passes?[/B]

Does Mark Sanchez have those intangibles and do they even exist?

BTW, The Jets pulled off a good one.[/QUOTE]

No.

This remains my only real concern with Sanchez. I'm really just counting on the fact that many QBs have improved their completion % as they gained experience. I also try to keep in mind that if you throw it 35 times, the difference between 55% and 60% is less than 2 completions. The QBs that are completing 65+ % of their attempts, that makes a real difference in a game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who gives a flying **** about completion percentage? Our QB scores TDs and can make long game winning/tying drives with no time on the clock. He plays well in big games and against top defenses.

Chad pennington is the accurate QB in the history of the leauge, he is also the most hopeless TD in the history of this franchise.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completion percentage wouldn't be so important if we had a more vertical attack. Unfortunately it seems like we're trying to dink and dunk our way to a bunch of 15 play drives this season and it isn't going to happen with a low completion percentage.

We could live with the lower completion percentage if we had more big plays down field. We can't if we're going to play offense like Chad Pennington is the QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We change his receivers every single season.

That's gotta stop.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sharachow;4259894]

Can the Jets live with a QB [B]that never has a season[/B] where he completes 60% or more of his passes?

[/QUOTE]

So, I guess you are saying is that he will never complete more than 60% of his passes?

Never.

Not in year 4.

Or year 5.

Or year 6.

Or year 7.

Or year 8.

Or year 9.

Because no QB in the history of the NFL that had a year 1 comp rate of 54%, year 2 of 55%, year 3 of 57% can ever ever ever ever have a completion rate of 60% or more?

Can't happen right?

You don't even need to look it up because every NFL QB has hit his peak in year 3 and has never ever improved after that.

None of them ever have.

Cool story tho.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    These two stats trouble me a little bit

Completion % 56.3 - 28th in the league
    Yards per attempt 6.74 - 24th in the league

His passing TDs are fairly high, but I would ask those who trumpet that stat one question - is that a result of Mark becoming a much better passer or a result of the Jets complete inability to run the ball in the redzone and our RBs having almost no rushing TDs?

In this day and age under these rules, 3 straight years under 60% completion is a real headscratcher

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4260102]

In this day and age under these rules, 3 straight years under 60% completion is a real headscratcher[/QUOTE]

Eli Manning was under 58% his first 4 years in the league, barely hit 60% in year 5. With about the same or worse YPA than Mark all 5 years.

Maybe that was in a different day and age and under different rules.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now but isn't there some site that track # or % of downfield attempts and/or completion % by distance of attempt rather than including YAC? I think this would help us see if it is a Sanchez or Shottenheimer issue. If Sanchez is good throwing down field but only tries it twice a game then I would have to say play calling is the real issue.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260068]Completion percentage wouldn't be so important if we had a more vertical attack. Unfortunately it seems like we're trying to dink and dunk our way to a bunch of 15 play drives this season and it isn't going to happen with a low completion percentage.

We could live with the lower completion percentage if we had more big plays down field. We can't if we're going to play offense like Chad Pennington is the QB.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

As great as we are in the red zone, we need to get to the red zone more often. That being said, it's difficult in our short passing attack style with a QB not known for precision throws.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4260114]Eli Manning was under 58% his first 4 years in the league, barely hit 60% in year 5. With about the same or worse YPA than Mark all 5 years.

_[/QUOTE]

jets just need to get Victor Cruz and sanchez will be fine

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take a 20% completion rate and a W every Sunday, thankee.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4260150]I'll take a 20% completion rate and a W every Sunday, thankee.[/QUOTE]

We win every Sunday?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4260102]These two stats trouble me a little bit

Completion % 56.3 - 28th in the league
    Yards per attempt 6.74 - 24th in the league
    [/QUOTE]

Slick, they're not really "two" troubling stats because they're inextricably related.

If Sanchez raises his completion percentage, his yards per attempt will automatically go up. It's a matter of math.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there's a reason why last week's performance was called 'the worst 4TD performance by a QB ever'.

Last week the o-Line started to get its act together finally. As Trent Dilfer noted, Sanchez has developed 'bouncy eyes' in the pocket due to poor protection, which adversely affects accuracy. He has developed bad habits thanks to poor protection and anticipating being hit, speared, walloped, late hit to the ground, etc. It is going to take some time for him to readjust and get used to having some time in the pocket - assuming the O-Line continues to block, of course.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4260114]Eli Manning was under 58% his first 4 years in the league, barely hit 60% in year 5. With about the same or worse YPA than Mark all 5 years.

_[/QUOTE]

Cam Newton and Andy Dalton, rookies, both over 60% completion percentage. Newton markedly was not known for being an accurate passer in college.

Eli is one guy who progressed very slowly. What about all the guys who had completion percentages like Mark and Eli the first few years and never amounted to anything? Should I list them?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4260180]Slick, they're not really "two" troubling stats because they're inextricably related.

If Sanchez raises his completion percentage, his yards per attempt will automatically go up. It's a matter of math.[/QUOTE]

Related but not the same. Yards per attempt is probably the best stat for how effective a QB is at moving his team through the passing game. Completion percentage can be boosted by short ineffective passes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4260123]I know I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now but isn't there some site that track # or % of downfield attempts and/or completion % by distance of attempt rather than including YAC? I think this would help us see if it is a Sanchez or Shottenheimer issue. If Sanchez is good throwing down field but only tries it twice a game then I would have to say play calling is the real issue.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/12482/mark-sanchez[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4260198]Cam Newton and Andy Dalton, rookies, both over 60% completion percentage. Newton markedly was not known for being an accurate passer in college.

Eli is one guy who progressed very slowly. What about all the guys who had completion percentages like Mark and Eli the first few years and never amounted to anything? Should I list them?[/QUOTE]

Go ahead. And look at all the guys who were under 60% through 3 years that eventually got over 60% and surpassed it. A few I'd imagine.

Bradford was great last year and this year he sucks. Are you saying Newton and Dalton aren't going to have a fall off?

How did that work out for Flacco and Freeman?

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4260180]Slick, they're not really "two" troubling stats because they're inextricably related.

If Sanchez raises his completion percentage, his yards per attempt will automatically go up. It's a matter of math.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what if all those completions are for zero yards?

:D

_