Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL game to be played in Ireland?

Practice Squad

NFL game to be played in Ireland?

[url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-close-in-on-gridiron-match-as-nfl-officials-visit-croke-park-2952357.html[/url]

I would love to see this happen!! Croke Park is one of the largest stadiums in Europe (third largest, I think), and as the GAA pitches are longer than soccer pitches, the field would be an almost perfect size for an NFL game. Would love to see the Jets play a games there!! :)

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

[QUOTE=dublinjetsfan;4259916][url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-close-in-on-gridiron-match-as-nfl-officials-visit-croke-park-2952357.html[/url]

I would love to see this happen!! Croke Park is one of the largest stadiums in Europe (third largest, I think), and as the GAA pitches are longer than soccer pitches, the field would be an almost perfect size for an NFL game. Would love to see the Jets play a games there!! :)[/QUOTE]

As a member of the A.O.H. & The Friendly Sons ofShillelagh`s & a diehard Traveling JETS fan I second wanting to see the JETS play a game in Ireland:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=dublinjetsfan;4259916][url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/gaa-close-in-on-gridiron-match-as-nfl-officials-visit-croke-park-2952357.html[/url]

I would love to see this happen!! Croke Park is one of the largest stadiums in Europe (third largest, I think), and as the GAA pitches are longer than soccer pitches, the field would be an almost perfect size for an NFL game. Would love to see the Jets play a games there!! :)[/QUOTE]

If anyone has the money, a trip to Ireland is wonderful. You get the benefits of overseas travel with a population that speaks English. More importantly, almost every Irishman/woman has American relatives and they treat you like family. Warning: if you are single, a real Irish girl with the Irish accent will melt your heart.

As to football, they explained to me that there was a tension between the Gealic Sports Association and the British influence on Ireland. Basically, the GSA ispart of a movement to teach children Gaelic heritage, languange and sport. British Football is not allowed there. I am surprised that they allow the NFL to play there.

Because I couldn't get the link to work, I wasn't able to read the story. Hope it is true.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 12-02-2011 at 09:35 AM.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4259966]If anyone has the money, a trip to Ireland is wonderful. You get the benefits of overseas travel with a population that speaks English. More importantly, almost every Irishman/woman has American relatives and they treat you like family. Warning: if you are single, a real Irish girl with the Irish accent will melt your heart.
    [/QUOTE]

+1 I travelled around the UK many years ago and found the Irish to be the nicest and most enjoyable people. it's also a very beautiful place and if you go there you immediately know why the color green is associated with Ireland.

Notre Dame is playing Navy in Dublin in September. I may be heading over for the game.

These overseas games are stupid IMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm not Irish but I think I would have to make this trip.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=petejet;4260032]I'm not Irish but I think I would have to make this trip.[/QUOTE]

That would be a great trip, Irish or not. They are very welcoming and it's a beautiful place. Dublin is a blast.

-

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4259966]If anyone has the money, a trip to Ireland is wonderful. You get the benefits of overseas travel with a population that speaks English. More importantly, almost every Irishman/woman has American relatives and they treat you like family. Warning: if you are single, a real Irish girl with the Irish accent will melt your heart.

As to football, they explained to me that there was a tension between the Gealic Sports Association and the British influence on Ireland. Basically, the GSA ispart of a movement to teach children Gaelic heritage, languange and sport. British Football is not allowed there. I am surprised that they allow the NFL to play there.

Because I couldn't get the link to work, I wasn't able to read the story. Hope it is true.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the food is terrible and there is nothing to do other than drink guiness.

Def would make the trip. Would be great if it is a "road game". Would have to plan a great tailgate for all going...

Jets Insider VIP
    Generally speaking, I hate games in other countries.

But I'd love to see the Jets play in Ireland. I went on a golf trip to Ireland a while back and it was great. The Irish really do welcome you and they were a blast to hang out with.

40 shades of Gang Green!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4260086]Generally speaking, I hate games in other countries.

But I'd love to see the Jets play in Ireland. I went on a golf trip to Ireland a while back and it was great. The Irish really do welcome you and they were a blast to hang out with.

40 shades of Gang Green![/QUOTE]

Trip of a lifetime that would be. If the Jets end up in Ireland I'd seriously consider rallying the family for a trip.

Jets vs. Eagles....two green teams?

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4260086]40 shades of Gang Green![/QUOTE]

:D... the fact the Jets were green, the vast majority of the locals would definitely be supporting them. It would be like a home game...but with a much louder crowd ;)!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Would be awesome if it lined up with the Notre Dame trip, which I'm already doing.

As to football, they explained to me that there was a tension between the Gealic Sports Association and the British influence on Ireland. Basically, the GSA ispart of a movement to teach children Gaelic heritage, languange and sport. British Football is not allowed there. [b] I am surprised that they allow the NFL to play there.[/b]

Because I couldn't get the link to work, I wasn't able to read the story. Hope it is true.[/QUOTE]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (with a good chunk of that going to the government there, IMO)

'nuff said.

Stop the insanity. No NFL game should be played outside the US. If you want to go to Ireland, take a vacation.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4260406]Stop the insanity. No NFL game should be played outside the US. If you want to go to Ireland, take a vacation.[/QUOTE]
    +1

I can't stand all of this international play (NHL, NFL, NBA). These are North American sports. Sorry, if people want to see them in Europe, there are satellite dishes and there's also airplanes that can deliver people to the U.S. More importantly, I think it's detrimental to the players involved. It puts them at a disadvantage with respect to the players on teams who did not travel overseas. It takes them at least 2 weeks to recover from these trips. The time changes, jet lag and lost practice time. Is it a great experience? Yes. But this is the N-F-L, not a school field trip.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

would Sanchez get booed during introductions in Ireland?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4260406]Stop the insanity. No NFL game should be played outside the US. If you want to go to Ireland, take a vacation.[/QUOTE]

Thank You.

Enough with the dog and pony show. It is called American Football for a reason.

I am just happy the Jets haven't had to play in the London game yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4260512]Thank You.

Enough with the dog and pony show. It is called American Football for a reason.

I am just happy the Jets haven't had to play in the London game yet.[/QUOTE]
    Your sig is hilarious.