View Poll Results: The biggest problem with the Jets offense is....

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coaching (Offensive Coordinator, etc.)

43 67.19%
  • Quarterback

5 7.81%
  • Other offensive positions (Line, WRs, TEs, etc.)

16 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The biggest problem with the Jets offense is...

Jets Insider VIP

The biggest problem with the Jets offense is...

Simple poll. Basically, is it the coaching, the QB, or the other talent around the QB that is the biggest problem with the Jets offense?

Just trying to take the temperature of the board on this.

If you feel that improving [B]either, or both[/B], the offensive line and/or skill position personnel (WR, TE, RB) is the biggest need then vote for Other offensive positions.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 12-02-2011 at 11:21 AM.

i think its a combination of 1 and 3.

We have talent, albeit lazy at times...

Poor decision making...

Head scratching rhythm issues during offensive series, including sustained drives that are killed by moving away from a proven method of ball movement...

Product of coaching...

It's abundantly clear at this juncture.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4260159]i think its a combination of 1 and 3.[/QUOTE]

Okay, then vote for what you think is the bigger problem of the two.

All Pro
    It's tough -- I think there are serious problems with all three.

Schotty will win this by a landslide though.

All League
    [QUOTE=Austin;4260172]It's tough -- I think there are serious problems with all three.

Schotty will win this by a landslide though.[/QUOTE]

Whole heartedly agree.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Austin;4260172]It's tough -- I think there are serious problems with all three.

Cavanaugh and Callahan are looking pretty suspect too.

All Pro
    d) all of the above

Hall Of Fame
    It's mostly the OLine.

Sanchez has gotten uneasy in the pocket because he's been getting creamed all year.

That's why he's early on his passes and missing guys before the routes develop.

And there have been no holes for the backs.

No running game hurts the passing game and vice versa.

If the OLine can solidify it's performance over the next few weeks you'll see a marked improvement in the overall play of the offense.

Keep Mark upright and he'll gain confidence and be fine.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think the biggest problem, which probably falls under coaching, is play design. The Jets are predictable to a fault and that predictability makes it easier for defenses to make the team and players appear subpar.

looks to me like the coaches and quarterback are not on the same page. we do not design scheme for the strengths and weaknesses of the qb. we are too clever for our own good...

initially starts with 3 -- receivers aren't fast or quick enough, sloppy routes. RBs don't have a home run hitter. O-line hasn't been as good as last 2 years.

with that being said, plays need to be called based on the what the personnel can do.

I voted for coaching, slightly ahead of QB.

But on second thought, maybe QB should be ahead. If we had a top 10 QB, I'm sure our offense would improve considerably, even with Schotty as OC. If we had a top 10 OC, and Sanchez was still QB, offense would improve less.

But it's easier to get rid of OC than QB.

Coaching, but this isn't to let the positions off the hook. They are underperforming, but I think it is due to something not clicking between the OC/offense coaching staff and the whole unit. Sometimes after 6 years of average results (regardless of fault sadly) players may start tuning a guy out.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4260197]It's mostly the OLine.

Sanchez has gotten uneasy in the pocket because he's been getting creamed all year.

That's why he's early on his passes and missing guys before the routes develop.

And there have been no holes for the backs.

No running game hurts the passing game and vice versa.

If the OLine can solidify it's performance over the next few weeks you'll see a marked improvement in the overall play of the offense.

Keep Mark upright and he'll gain confidence and be fine.

_[/QUOTE]

This is definitely the best argument for Sanchez's problems [B]this year[/B]. Schotty has been a constant and is the same mediocre OC he's been for all the years Sanchez has been here.

There is no reason to believe based on his trajectory over his first 3 seasons that all-of-a-sudden Sanchez has forgotten how to make decisions or find receivers. I think you're right, he knows the line isn't what it has been in previous seasons so he's keeping his head on a swivel and trying to get rid of the ball quickly. This is leading to mistakes. It's also a fact that the changes in offensive line personnel aren't the only changes....this is his first year with Plax and Kerley. No Braylon, no Cotchery....who I think Sanchez spent weeks with in the offseason working on timing, etc. Then they're gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;4260224]I voted for coaching, slightly ahead of QB.

But on second thought, maybe QB should be ahead. If we had a top 10 QB, I'm sure our offense would improve considerably, even with Schotty as OC. [B]If we had a top 10 OC, and Sanchez was still QB, offense would improve less.[/B]

But it's easier to get rid of OC than QB.[/QUOTE]

What if we had last year's offensive line and WR personnel, same OC and Sanchez with another year of experience?

Veteran

We all agree, by the way, have we not beaten this to death yet?

While there are other contributors to the problem, the foundation is Schotty, he is ultimately the biggest problem, until that is fixed Jesus himself could not perform miracles with this offense, well,,, maybe Jesus is the only one.

What troubles me is they gave Schotty and extension, what does that say? I understand we are not the pros, but when 90+% of the people are saying Schotty is the issue, how do they give him an extension, how can we all be wrong, or at least how does that not ring a bell, are we all just that dumb?
    I don't know, scratching my head over it, or maybe I have flea's

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm starting to look at my poll question a little differently now.

If the three choices were the same but the question was, "What has changed from last season?" the ONLY right answer is the other offensive personnel. We've had the same OC and the same QB for 3 years....what's changed?

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4260243]What if we had last year's offensive line and WR personnel, same OC and Sanchez with another year of experience?[/QUOTE]

If we had the 2010 OL and 2010 WR group playing as they did in 2010, and Sanchez's slight 2011 improvement, I think we'd have a slightly better offense than we do now.

If we had the 2011 versions of Damien Woody, Braylon Edwards, and Jerricho Cotchery, I don't know if we'd be any better.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4260245]I'm starting to look at my poll question a little differently now.

If the three choices were the same but the question was, "What has changed from last season?" the ONLY right answer is the other offensive personnel. We've had the same OC and the same QB for 3 years....what's changed?[/QUOTE]

Are you so sure last year's offense was better than this year's. I'm not.

Last year's offense was a little better between the 20s, this year is better in the red zone.

Last year threw fewer INTs than this year, but I think there was a lot of luck involved last year, many easy interceptions dropped. Also this year many INTs and fumbles returned for TDs, which is, to a large degree, luck.

Overall, I think the 2010 and 2011 Jets offenses are around the same level.