Thread: Very Interesting Offensive Stat: 2nd through 4th QTR Points

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Interesting Offensive Stat: 2nd through 4th QTR Points

The offense has definitely been really bad in the 1st quarter, but check out this stat about our offense from the 2nd -> 4th quarter:
    [quote]
    The Jets have picked up the pace in the last three quarters — their 20.3-points-per-game average over Quarters 2-4 in their first 11 games puts them on a 323-point pace for those quarters, which [B]would be their most since the 1998 team[/B] scored 338 points over those three quarters.[/quote]
    [url]http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2011/12/01/rex-and-staff-put-tom-moore-to-work-at-practice/[/url]

I was absolutely shocked to read that. If we could just improve the first quarter offense from awful to mediocre, it would make a huge difference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260555]The
    I was absolutely shocked to read that. If we could just improve the first quarter offense from awful to mediocre, it would make a huge difference.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe not slavishly adhering to 15 scripted plays to start the game could help with that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok- if you throw out the 1st quarter!
    How can u throw out the 1st quarter?

That's like saying a team that loses all its leads in the 4th quarter, yea but if you take out the 4th quarter their 10-0 not 0-10.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4260580]Ok- if you throw out the 1st quarter!

That's like saying a team that loses all its leads in the 4th quarter, yea but if you take out the 4th quarter their 10-0 not 0-10.[/QUOTE]

Who is saying to throw out the first quarter?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    so let me guess. the jets are scoring about 75% of what the team average is and increasing the 1st quarter point output from near zero to at least 25% would work?

how about the other factor involved with this that by not scoring in the first quarter means the defense nearly always has to play from behind. this contributes to just about everything else.

it's time to launch the schitty before it gets worse, which it will.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4260580]Ok- if you throw out the 1st quarter!

That's like saying a team that loses all its leads in the 4th quarter, yea but if you take out the 4th quarter their 10-0 not 0-10.[/QUOTE]

That's not what the OP is saying.

He's sharing a stat that points out that after starting slow we do well, and that in order for us to improve starting faster is the key.

It's not rocket science.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260555]The offense has definitely been really bad in the 1st quarter, but check out this stat about our offense from the 2nd -> 4th quarter:

[url]http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2011/12/01/rex-and-staff-put-tom-moore-to-work-at-practice/[/url]

I was absolutely shocked to read that. If we could just improve the first quarter offense from awful to mediocre, it would make a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

That's because Mark needs about a quarter to find out whether any of his f*cking linemen are going to protect him.

Like last weekend against Buffalo, after he realized that MAYBE the line was going to hold off the punishing hits and actually run block, that he might be able to stand in the pocket for more than 2 seconds to let routes develop.

_

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is the last time you saw a deep pass on the opening drive?

How about a hurry up offense for some of the opening drive?

These are two adjustments that SCHOTTY and Rex should have at least tried at some point.

This is inexcusable in my mind

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of this, to be fair, is the fact that many drives that start in the first quarter end up actually scoring in the second quarter, and the same is true for the 3rd into 4th quarter.

If a drive goes 90 yards and the TD is scored in the first minute of the 2nd quarter, it kind of skews the numbers.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lord of War 599;4260605]When is the last time you saw a deep pass on the opening drive?

How about a hurry up offense for some of the opening drive?

These are two adjustments that SCHOTTY and Rex should have at least tried at some point.

This is inexcusable in my mind[/QUOTE]

I think you could be onto something with the lack of deep passes thing, but that's been the case throughout every quarter for the most part. What you got me thinking was that this could be more of a symptom of us being overly conservative in the first quarter as to not get behind early with turnovers. If that were in fact the case it would seem that it's having the opposite result.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4260612]Part of this, to be fair, is the fact that many drives that start in the first quarter end up actually scoring in the second quarter, and the same is true for the 3rd into 4th quarter.

If a drive goes 90 yards and the TD is scored in the first minute of the 2nd quarter, it kind of skews the numbers.

_[/QUOTE]

True, but that doesn't change the fact that we're on pace for the most 2nd-4th quarter points scored since '98.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260555]The offense has definitely been really bad in the 1st quarter, but check out this stat about our offense from the 2nd -> 4th quarter:

WOW! TREMENDOUS! What an accomplishment!! To be second in franchise history in quarters 2-4, especially considering the Jets traditionally have a juggernaut offense each year, this is just a crowning achievement, unprecedented. What's even more impressive is that those 20.3 PPG that they score in the final three quarters get added on to the whopping 0.2 PPG that they score in the 1st quarter, to form probably one of the most formidable offensive threats that the NFL has ever seen. Wow, second in franchise history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260618]True, but that doesn't change the fact that we're on pace for the most 2nd-4th quarter points scored since '98.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not discounting it.

I truly think it has to do with Mark becoming more (or less) comfortable with his protection as the game goes on, and about him being too hopped up to start games.

Once he calms down he's much better IMHO.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetfan16;4260621]WOW! TREMENDOUS! What an accomplishment!! To be second in franchise history in quarters 2-4, especially considering the Jets traditionally have a juggernaut offense each year, this is just a crowning achievement, unprecedented. What's even more impressive is that those 20.3 PPG that they score in the final three quarters get added on to the whopping 0.2 PPG that they score in the 1st quarter, to form probably one of the most formidable offensive threats that the NFL has ever seen. Wow, second in franchise history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Dickhead noted.

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think some people are missing what I thought was an interesting point here. We had a superbowl caliber offense here in '98. Our offense this year is obviously doing well in the 2nd -> 4th quarters if it's the best since that year. The first quarter offense has been so abysmal that it's setting us up very poorly.

So the obvious question becomes, what the hell is going on in the first quarter. Some people have made what I thought were good suggestions in this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4260636]Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Dickhead noted.

_[/QUOTE]

You're welcome

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The offense clearly needs a different approach to open games. Personally, I think it's a no brainer to pick up the tempo and try to get into a rhythm with the no huddle.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting stat. Thanks for sharing.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260681]....

So the obvious question becomes, what the hell is going on in the first quarter. Some people have made what I thought were good suggestions in this thread.[/QUOTE]
    There was an analyst on either ESPN or NFLN a couple of weeks ago, that said, not all, but a large part of early game struggles, when a team is going three and out, or struggling to maintain drives, it reflects more on the offensive coordinator, than anything, because those are the scripted plays that are failing.

They said the reason the scripted plays reflect on the coordinator most, is because they are most practiced by the team, and most planned by the OC.

They're plays that when they breakdown, or don't have success you can tell if a team is possibly telegraphing. They said, and even if a team isn't telegraphing, those are the plays formed by doing scouting, advance, and those are the plays OCs spend a lot of time to come up with to "combat" what they think they see in the opposition.

They said, most people in the league think, and the the fair way to judge if an OC is successful one or not, falls in the first 10-15 plays, of a game. They said, most OCs usually, fall in between, with 12-14 scripted plays? And an OC like Bruce Arians scripts 15 plays, on the high side, I think.

After that, the plays that are called become "adjusted" and aren't as "gameplan" oriented. They are more "on the fly" and a combination of the QB/WRs/RBs/o-line making adjustments either on their own, or through coaches making the adjustments, and switching up playcalling to something else.

They said that teams that continue to struggle, through a half or longer, might mean, that the OC not only poorly scripted plays, but also failed to adjust to game time situations.

It was really interesting. After seeing your stat, it makes me wonder, again, if our scripted plays may not be putting us at some disadvantage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4260586]Who is saying to throw out the first quarter?[/QUOTE]

Me, for one.

The early part of the game is when the gameplan is in effect. Since the beginning of 2009, the Jets have failed to score a first-quarter offensive TD from scrimmage in 39 out of 49 games. That's 80% if you round up a fraction of a point (40 out of 50 this weekend if history holds).

Playing almost always from behind, they have to improvise in the second half. Sanchez has been one of the best at 4th quarter comebacks.

If only they'd remove the handcuffs in the first quarter...