Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So will Peyton wind up with the Colts ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

So will Peyton wind up with the Colts ?

The Colts cannot move forward with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck on the same roster. Unless Manning is willing to engage in a massive restructuring of his contract, and it's hard to see why he would give up his leverage, it's simply not practical no matter how many times team vice chairman Bill Polian insists the pair can coexist. Maybe management is trying to soften the blow that would accompany Manning's exit, or it simply hasn't come to terms with it. But it must happen.

Read more: [url]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl#ixzz1fTz6nmyl[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    who cares, really

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;4260999]The Colts cannot move forward with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck on the same roster. Unless Manning is willing to engage in a massive restructuring of his contract, and it's hard to see why he would give up his leverage, it's simply not practical no matter how many times team vice chairman Bill Polian insists the pair can coexist. Maybe management is trying to soften the blow that would accompany Manning's exit, or it simply hasn't come to terms with it. But it must happen.

Read more: [url]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl#ixzz1fTz6nmyl[/url][/QUOTE]

Assuming he plays at all, I believe Manning will NOT be a Colt next year. But the cap aside, Peyton won't want Luck sitting behind him and the Colts won't want to wait to get Luck going.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Manning's contract over at the end of this year.... my bet is that it is not and that the Colts will have to absorb a huge cap hit if they release him. I think he will be announced as the starter next year, mentor Luck for a season and then retire as a Colt when his contract is over

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4261012]Is Manning's contract over at the end of this year.... my bet is that it is not and that the Colts will have to absorb a huge cap hit if they release him. I think he will be announced as the starter next year, mentor Luck for a season and then retire as a Colt when his contract is over[/QUOTE]

The Colts have an option in February to pay him 28mm.... They could cut him before then and they would owe him nothing else and take no cap hit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4261012]Is Manning's contract over at the end of this year.... my bet is that it is not and that the Colts will have to absorb a huge cap hit if they release him. I think he will be announced as the starter next year, mentor Luck for a season and then retire as a Colt when his contract is over[/QUOTE]

His contract is up, but they will franchise and trade. You don't have to real ease manning you can easily trade him. Even with his serious injury amd age - he'll easily command a 1st round pick, maybe more.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or more likely, if Manning is healthy -- they will trade the #1 (assuming that Luck actually does come out - he doesn't have to) for a treasure trove from some team with extra picks and an completely awful quarterback situation (Eagles, Redskins, Chargers, Broncos, Dolphins, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Niners, Browns for example)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;4261016]His contract is up, but they will franchise and trade. You don't have to real ease manning you can easily trade him. Even with his serious injury amd age - he'll easily command a 1st round pick, maybe more.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they can franchise him... He just signed a new deal this year but the Colts have to pick up a bonus in Feb that they can only avoid if they cut him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Conkboy;4261018]I don't think they can franchise him... He just signed a new deal this year but the Colts have to pick up a bonus in Feb that they can only avoid if they cut him.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I misunderstood what I heard.

So there really is no scenario in which they can trade him unless they pay his large bonus and trade or is another team willing to pay his bonus?

Is that even possible. Can they trade prior in which another team would pay the large bonus?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;4261025]Thanks. I misunderstood what I heard.

So there really is no scenario in which they can trade him unless they pay his large bonus and trade or is another team willing to pay his bonus?

Is that even possible. Can they trade prior in which another team would pay the large bonus?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can trade people until later in the NFL Calendar year. It appears as thought the best they can hope for is that Manning agrees to push off the bonus payment until later in the offseason so the Colts can figure out what they want to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there is so much of an inkling of belief that Peyton Manning can come back to being even half of what he once was, then there's no way in hell the Colts let him go. NO CHANCE.

The Colts and Bill Polian are not stupid. To even entertain the idea of trading a sure fire hall of famer, if they thought he still had something left, would be even beyond psychotic stupidity. It would defy the laws of the planet. Colts fans would have to immediately tar and feather Bill Polian and anyone else involved in such an insanely idiotic move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polian has said they are drafting a QB in the upcoming draft. They will have the number one pick and Luck will be available. The Colts will have the best QB for the next decade at least. What is so hard to understand?

The only issue here is Manning's future, Manning who denies what Polian has said he has told him. Polian said in a radio interview in Indy that he told Manning they're drafting a QB in the upcoming draft. Manning denies they ever had that conversation.

His contract was cleverly structured so that his roster bonus is due right before the trade deadline. Manning does have leverage.

[QUOTE=sg3;4261017]Or more likely, if Manning is healthy -- they will trade the #1 (assuming that Luck actually does come out - he doesn't have to) for a treasure trove from some team with extra picks and an completely awful quarterback situation (Eagles, Redskins, Chargers, Broncos, Dolphins, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Niners, Browns for example)[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 12-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4261068]If there is so much of an inkling of belief that Peyton Manning can come back to being even half of what he once was, then there's no way in hell the Colts let him go. NO CHANCE.

The Colts and Bill Polian are not stupid. To even entertain the idea of trading a sure fire hall of famer, [B]if they thought he still had something left[/B], would be even beyond psychotic stupidity. It would defy the laws of the planet. Colts fans would have to immediately tar and feather Bill Polian and anyone else involved in such an insanely idiotic move.[/QUOTE]

And if they don't (think he still had something left) it would be the shrewdest move on the planet. You're entire diatribe is based on a conditional scenario, to which no one knows the answer, except the Colts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;4260999][B]The Colts cannot move forward with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck on the same roster[/B]. Unless Manning is willing to engage in a massive restructuring of his contract, and it's hard to see why he would give up his leverage, it's simply not practical no matter how many times team vice chairman Bill Polian insists the pair can coexist. Maybe management is trying to soften the blow that would accompany Manning's exit, or it simply hasn't come to terms with it. But it must happen.

Read more: [url]http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl#ixzz1fTz6nmyl[/url][/QUOTE]

Funny how fans and those in the press who can't come up with something to write about keep saying this.

As if Luck, who may or may not pan out as an NFL QB can push a HOF QB out or even annoy him by his presence.

And as SG said, who cares what the Colts do? I hope they trade Manning and Luck turns out to be another Leaf.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Manning is going to get cut.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261096]Polian has said they are drafting a QB in the upcoming draft. They will have the number one pick and Luck will be available. The Colts will have the best QB for the next decade at least. What is so hard to understand?

The only issue here is Manning's future, Manning who denies what Polian has said he has told him. Polian said in a radio interview in Indy that he told Manning they're drafting a QB in the upcoming draft. Manning denies they ever had that conversation.

His contract was cleverly structured so that his roster bonus is due right before the trade deadline. Manning does have leverage.[/QUOTE]

I recently read where even if they pay PM and draft AL they will not really be breaking the bank. With the new rookie scale AL might get 4-4.5 a year tops. So the could survive. This way if PM is healthy he can play next year and teach AL how to be a Qb in the NFL. Then PM can get his gold watch and ride off into the sunset and let the kid take over after two years watching. The Colts don't miss a beat. Could happen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4261113]I recently read where even if they pay PM and draft AL they will not really be breaking the bank. With the new rookie scale AL might get 4-4.5 a year tops. So the could survive. This way if PM is healthy he can play next year and teach AL how to be a Qb in the NFL. Then PM can get his gold watch and ride off into the sunset and let the kid take over after two years watching. The Colts don't miss a beat. Could happen.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem with drafting Luck #1 and keeping Manning isn't the salary cap. I think it's ego. Peyton wants to win as many rings as he can. The Colts are OBVIOUSLY lacking talent. Do you think he's going to be OK with them taking a QB at #1 overall when they could get a bunch of picks to reload the team with? You also have to think about it from Luck's POV. He's not going to get the big money he would have prior to the new CBA. Is he going to want to sit around as the #2 guy while Manning finishes up his career and have not body of work to score a big contract when his time comes? I don't think so. Neither guy is going to want to play on the same roster.

Nope.

He will force his way out of there if that's there plan. I would be SHOCKED if he allowed that to go down while he stayed on the Colts.
    Last edited by My.Favorite.Martin; 12-03-2011 at 12:22 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4261017]Or more likely, if Manning is healthy -- they will trade the #1 (assuming that Luck actually does come out - he doesn't have to) for a treasure trove from some team with extra picks and an completely awful quarterback situation ([B]Eagles[/B], Redskins, [B]Chargers[/B], Broncos, Dolphins, [B]Buccaneers[/B], Seahawks, Niners, Browns for example)[/QUOTE]

I didn't know the Eagles, Chargers and Bucs were in search of a QB........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not the Colts will not let Peyton Manning go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4261119]I didn't know the Eagles, Chargers and Bucs were in search of a QB........[/QUOTE]

nor the niners for that matter.