Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Norv be our next OC?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Should Norv be our next OC?

Word is, he's out in San Diego. Think that despite what Rex said, they were friends. He's a bad head coach, but has been a great OC.

Schotty has been a scapegoat for a lot of the problems around here, but nevertheless, it's time for a change to see if another OC can light a fire under Sanchez. Could Norv be the guy?

Discuss

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone says he's such a great OC. If he is why is his offense so bad? Other offensive minded head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have very good offenses. He will have the taint of losing on him, why should we bring in someone whose most recent efforts are a failure?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 12-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you think Sanchez is a turnover machine that has regressed, what is Rivers?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261101]Everyone says he's such a great OC. If he is why is his offense so bad? Other offensive minded head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have very good offenses. [B]He will have the taint of a loser on him[/B], why should we bring in someone whose most recent efforts are a failure?[/QUOTE]

LOL! Who's taint would that be?

I want Norv, and his loser/mush personality, no where near the Jets sideline.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the question is would Norv be willing.

I remember him and Rex getting into it a little bit before the San Diego game. They played it off but there was some truth and resentment going on there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261101]Everyone says he's such a great OC. [B]If he is why is his offense so bad?[/B] Other offensive minded head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have very good offenses. He will have the taint of a loser on him, why should we bring in someone whose most recent efforts are a failure?[/QUOTE]

This year, it's because Rivers is playing god awful. Turner is a great offensive mind and would be a tremendous upgrade over Schitty.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261101]Everyone says he's such a great OC. If he is why is his offense so bad? Other offensive minded head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have very good offenses. He will have the taint of a loser on him, why should we bring in someone whose most recent efforts are a failure?[/QUOTE]

2007: #5 in points scored
    2008: #2 in points scored
    2009: #4 in points scored
    2010: #1 in points scored

Granted he had Phillip Rivers, but if you want your offense to score points, Norv can get the job done. His offenses aren't bad. I would LOVE to have him as an OC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4261110]2007: #5 in points scored
    2008: #2 in points scored
    2009: #4 in points scored
    2010: #1 in points scored

Granted he had Phillip Rivers, but if you want your offense to score points, Norv can get the job done. I would LOVE to have him as an OC.[/QUOTE]

As Rex has stated before. Those San Diego teams were loaded.

Not apples to apples.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4261112]As Rex has stated before. Those San Diego teams were loaded.

Not apples to apples.[/QUOTE]

Very true. But he has definitely proven he can get the job done, unlike some other people ...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;4261104]If you think Sanchez is a turnover machine that has regressed, what is Rivers?[/QUOTE]

Rivers is a top 6 QB who is clearly playing through an injury that he will not disclose. I'm willing to let his previous five years numbers speak for themselves. I don't see your point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4261115]Very true. But he has definitely proven he can get the job done, unlike some other people ...[/QUOTE]
    That two minute drill to end the Jets game in a win for the Jets, was very notable in 'getting the job done'. I seem to recall some of the playcalling towards the end of their game with the Chiefs was even more horrendous.

Leave out this season if you want because something appears to be wrong with Rivers, Norv can't seem to ever get past the playoffs. Martyball v.2. We already have Martyball v.1a. No thanks.

Not with a ten foot pole.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 12-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261130]That two minute drill to end the Jets game in a win for the Jets, was very notable in 'getting the job done'. I seem to recall some of the playcalling towards the end of their game with the Chiefs was even more horrendous.

Leave out this season if you want because something appears to be wrong with Rivers, Norv can't seem to ever get past the playoffs. Martyball v.2. We already have Martyball v.1a. No thanks.

Not with a ten foot pole.[/QUOTE]

If Norv could get the Jets top 5 in scoring we would rarely need to try and score with 2 minutes left. Besides, Schottenheimer has had plenty of 4th quarter game winning drives with Sanchez at the helm. Does that mean you want to keep him because of his winning drives?
    Last edited by My.Favorite.Martin; 12-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norv had success with troy aikman, Alex smith, and Phillips rivers. Why wouldn't every team want him?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4261136]Norv had success with troy aikman, Alex smith, and Phillips rivers. Why wouldn't every team want him?[/QUOTE]

Good point. I say get him. Why not??? What's the worst that can happen???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally dont see SD firing Norv. He is the west coast Reid. He has never had a great team and has made the POs almost every year. One bad year shouldn't get you fired IMO. The fans may hate him because they "think" they should have a SB but the talent was just never there. The owners love Norv because it is no secret he is a kiss ass puppet. I do not think he is a great coach but he has done his job.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... i'd say it would be a step up from where we are now ... but there are plenty of other options that would lead to a bigger step up ...

... exhibit 1 - rex give moore the hard sell when he's up here this week to lock him in as OC for 2012 if not sooner ... :iwon:

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4261141]... i'd say it would be a step up from where we are now ... but there are plenty of other options that would lead to a bigger step up ...

... exhibit 1 - rex give moore the hard sell when he's up here this week to lock him in as OC for 2012 if not sooner ... :iwon:

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Moore is 146 years old. He's not going to be an NFL offensive coordinator anymore. People need to give up that pipe dream.

Who are all these better options than Norv (outside of Moore)?

m_f_m

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4261101]Everyone says he's such a great OC. If he is why is his offense so bad? Other offensive minded head coaches, like Mike McCarthy, have very good offenses. He will have the taint of losing on him, why should we bring in someone whose most recent efforts are a failure?[/QUOTE]

They say he's a great OC because every time he's been an OC, his offenses have been terrific.

He's a bad head coach.

You know who else was a bad head coach? Dick LeBeau. Does that mean his phenomenal record as a DC with Pittsburgh is moot?

Turner is a great OC. Which is why he keeps getting opportunities to show how bad a head coach he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=phillyjet;4261086]Word is, he's out in San Diego. Think that despite what Rex said, they were friends. He's a bad head coach, but has been a great OC.

Schotty has been a scapegoat for a lot of the problems around here, but nevertheless, it's time for a change to see if another OC can light a fire under Sanchez. Could Norv be the guy?

Discuss[/QUOTE]
    Meh.

Take a look at the offenses he had as OC in the last 10 years (2001 Chargers, 2002-2003 Dolphins, 2006 Niners).

That should answer your question.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4261172]They say he's a great OC [B]because every time he's been an OC, his offenses have been terrific.[/B]

He's a bad head coach.

You know who else was a bad head coach? Dick LeBeau. Does that mean his phenomenal record as a DC with Pittsburgh is moot?

Turner is a great OC. Which is why he keeps getting opportunities to show how bad a head coach he is.[/QUOTE]
    Not true.